Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lineker's Left Foot

Which band used to be good and went poor later?

So many artists tend to lose their creativity when they go famous or after their early years. Which groups does this relate to for you?

Talking Heads generally went poor in the early to mid 80s after their Fear Of Music and Remain In Light albuns.

Simple Minds - initially went poor after Sparkle In The Rain album, as Once Upon A Time is too manufactured and glossy; however they did recreate their sound with Street Fighting Years onwards.

So many artists tend to lose their creativity when they go famous or after their early years. Which groups does this relate to for you?

Talking Heads generally went poor in the early to mid 80s after their Fear Of Music and Remain In Light albuns.

Simple Minds - initially went poor after Sparkle In The Rain album, as Once Upon A Time is too manufactured and glossy; however they did recreate their sound with Street Fighting Years onwards.

Oasis.

The Clash

Cooper Temple Clause

Air

Audio Bullys

Black Sabbath

Motorhead

Rolling Stones

Ramones

Spiritualized

Pop Will Eat Itself

Smashing Pumpkins

Back To The Planet

Massive Attack

Kasabian

Killers

In fact most bands. But there are very few that have got better.

I think the problem is by the time a band get to release their first album they have been together a number of years and have a large selection of songs to choose from to put on that first album. Some of these early songs can make it onto the second album but usually by then they are under pressure to replicate the success of the first whilst up against the clock. By the third they are usually completely up against it and trying to slightly change direction too.

People leave bands too that can have an effect on their creativity.

The Clash

Cooper Temple Clause

Air

Audio Bullys

Black Sabbath

Motorhead

Rolling Stones

Ramones

Spiritualized

Pop Will Eat Itself

Smashing Pumpkins

Back To The Planet

Massive Attack

Kasabian

Killers

In fact most bands. But there are very few that have got better.

I think the problem is by the time a band get to release their first album they have been together a number of years and have a large selection of songs to choose from to put on that first album. Some of these early songs can make it onto the second album but usually by then they are under pressure to replicate the success of the first whilst up against the clock. By the third they are usually completely up against it and trying to slightly change direction too.

People leave bands too that can have an effect on their creativity.

Blimey your joking with some of these aren't you??? Massive Attack IMO are just re-defining their sound - they had a lot to live up to after Blue Lines of course !! I personally prefer later Clash stuff !! I'll agree with the others however :thumbup:

The Clash

Cooper Temple Clause

Air

Audio Bullys

Black Sabbath

Motorhead

Rolling Stones

Ramones

Spiritualized

Pop Will Eat Itself

Smashing Pumpkins

Back To The Planet

Massive Attack

Kasabian

Killers

Might be being a bit biased but I think the music was still mostly good, but Billy's voice was terrible. (on Machina) Adore is still great, albeit different.

Ramones :cry:

Modest Mouse (I heard their new single and I can't believe how awful it is)

Built to Spill (their last two albums have been very poor, even though there are two good tracks--but only two--on their latest one)

Constantines

Dead Kennedys (Yes, I said it.)

Decemberists

Electric Six (OK, so only two albums... but c'mon. Señor Smoke is pathetic)

The Fall. But in the 2000s, they're right back to being great.

LiLiPUT (formerly known as Kleenex). Every so often, I listen to their later recordings and hope that it matches their early stuff (which is, on occasion, perhaps the pinnacle of post-punk), but it never does...

Misfits

The Oranges Band

The Specials

Turbonegro (they're not... umm... "gay" enough anymore, although I'd still go see them live)

Which is their single?

I've heard their new album and thought it was great, although I haven't heard anything else from them so I've nothing to compare it to.

Which is their single?

I've heard their new album and thought it was great, although I haven't heard anything else from them so I've nothing to compare it to.

Dashboard (at least I think it's the new single)

Ramones :cry:

Built to Spill (their last two albums have been very poor, even though there are two good tracks--but only two--on their latest one)

Constantines

Dead Kennedys (Yes, I said it.)

Decemberists

Electric Six (OK, so only two albums... but c'mon. Señor Smoke is pathetic)

The Fall. But in the 2000s, they're right back to being great.

LiLiPUT (formerly known as Kleenex). Every so often, I listen to their later recordings and hope that it matches their early stuff (which is, on occasion, perhaps the pinnacle of post-punk), but it never does...

Misfits

The Oranges Band

The Specials

Turbonegro (they're not... umm... "gay" enough anymore, although I'd still go see them live)

Electric Six also have a new album out called Switzerland it's worse than Señor Smoke.

Travis after their first album can't be doing with dull music.

Some would say David Bowie at the beginning of the 80s

I very much like "1. Outside" and "Earthling"... He showed balls and experimented with completely new sounds even though they were never going to be commercial successes.

As has been mentioned, most bands start out good and then get gradually worse:

RHCP

Metallica

Cranberries

KoRn

Offspring (fair, they were never great)

Marilyn Manson

Lenny Kravitz

Jamiroquai

Genesis

etc.

I very much like "1. Outside" and "Earthling"... He showed balls and experimented with completely new sounds even though they were never going to be commercial successes.

Yep true I suppose. I grew up to the New Romo/Electronic/Post Punk sounds so I actually appreciated Lets Dance and China Girl etc. but can see where people are coming from if they'd initially liked Space Oddity and The Man Who Sold The World etc.

Archived