Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lichfieldfox.

Mass Cull - when will it occur?

Getting a bit fed up with the Elvis bashing which goes on here. Yeah, he's not particularly technically gifted as a footballer; but he offers us something, which is more than can be said of probably 30 players we've had on the books over the last three seasons. Give the guy a break, there are more worthy targets for critisism.

Even last season, he contributed more than Douglas, Kenton, Yeates, Johnson, Fryatt, Sheehan or Horsefield, just for a few examples.

What I meant by waiting for the new manager; while obviously Mandaric will have his players to get rid of (De Vries, Johnson, Douglas, Yeates, Horsfield, Jarrett), the likes of Maybury, Stearman, Logan, Henderson, Elvis, Hughes, Sheehan, Dodds, Cadamateri, Kenton and Newton are viewed so differently by different managers and fans that I'd imagine with the new manager any number of these players could be retained or released.

Even last season, he contributed more than Douglas, Kenton, Yeates, Johnson, Fryatt, Sheehan or Horsefield, just for a few examples.

Elvis bashing takes place because people defend his ineptitude.

No one defends Yeates, no one argues for Douglas' inclusion and no one points out that Johnson is a creative dynamo and the heart of the midfield...so no one goes on about them as much.

No one disputes their relative shit-ness, people (like Thracian mainly) argue that Hammond is misunderstood by most that watch him play. It's this that drives the abuse, not Hammond himself. Without people waving the Elvis banner he'd just drift into the background of below-average squad players.

Yeah - but I tell you what, I can see how Johnson became a professional footballer. Just now his legs have gone, he doesn't care and he patently wasn't up to the job being asked.

Elvis on the other hand... well.... I'm as much of a footballer as he is. He can just run quicker.

Getting a bit fed up with the Elvis bashing which goes on here. Yeah, he's not particularly technically gifted as a footballer; but he offers us something, which is more than can be said of probably 30 players we've had on the books over the last three seasons. Give the guy a break, there are more worthy targets for critisism.

What I meant by waiting for the new manager; while obviously Mandaric will have his players to get rid of (De Vries, Johnson, Douglas, Yeates, Horsfield, Jarrett), the likes of Maybury, Stearman, Logan, Henderson, Elvis, Hughes, Sheehan, Dodds, Cadamateri, Kenton and Newton are viewed so differently by different managers and fans that I'd imagine with the new manager any number of these players could be retained or released.

What re you on about??! Yeates and Horsfield were on loan and have gone back and AJ has already been let go. De Vries and Douglas may be problems due to them being in contract and they are meant to be lucrative, relatively speaking or course. Cada was on a short term deal which will run out soon too and Newton was also a loanee. Dodds is contract is up too and Hendo signed a new deal in January. Yes from the rest of your list decisions will have to be made but what has that got to do with Elvis`s situation? He is only here because we have been scraping the barrel for 3 years and now we have some cash to spend the likes of Elvis need to be sold on.

I always use the following as a guideline to how bad things have got with our playing staff and their abilities (or lack of). Where do the players we sell end up??

COG - Rotherham

Joe Hamill - Livingston

Josh Low - Peterboro

Lee Morris - Yeovil

Momo Sylla - Kilmarnock

Gareth Williams - Watford (maybe the exception but that was for a cheapo fee too)

Elvis will be another that cant get into a decent team at this level and he will end up nothing more than a D2 player or some risk taking D1 side. We still ahve a few players who are not good enough to get into lame average sides like an Norwich or Ipswich. BTW, why is is that a club like Ipswich can be linked to players like Richard Wright or in particular, Francis Jeffers and some of our fans still want to keep hold of the likes of Elvis??

Punt him out FFS!

Thats got to be one of the funniest statements Ive read on here!

I would much rather have tried one of the kids than play Elvis. Yes he scored a few useful goals but you have to look at the bigger picture and see what he didnt do in the other games he featured in. I have only probably seen us about 12-15 times this season but when I have seen Elvis he brings little in the way of linking up with team mates, a final pass or keeping himself onside so that our ball retention is good and that we can play in the opposition half.

For this club to move on the likes of Elvis should be packed off to D2 because I doubt he`ll get a club from D1 coming in for him.

Hammond scored six goals in 19 starts or one goal in three and a bit plus his few assists represent a better pro-rata return than anyone in the first team squad apart from Hume and that's fact. Fryatt managed 4 goals in around 23 starts, less than one goal in five.

For reasons of your own you choose to ignore facts.

You mention offisides and linking with team-mates but it's just random rhetoric that doesn't stand up when compared to his striking competitor Fryatt or even Horsfield.

Fryatt, for instance, was embarrassingly offside throughout the Barnsley match and that without any excuse, like Hammond, of being so quick that the linesman might and frequently does get it wrong.

There really is one attitude with Hammond and another with everyone else (apart from Hughes).

I remember Hammond getting hammered after having a perfectly decent shot from 15 yards well blocked by the keeper. Yet when Fryatt missed from exactly the same angle but five yards closer it was irnored by some, glossed over by others.

Hammond's not the greatest at getting his head up but don't tell me Fryatt links well with team-mates. He is so selfish that were I his strike partner I wouldn't even bother making the runs. Times Fryatt just stares at a team-mate in a good position and carries on doing his own thing.

Hammond did his stint this season, and an important one it was too. Fryatt was either literally or metaphorically absent virtually from start to finish and that includes pre-season. His contribution was negligible and the very idea of playing Horsfield in Hammond's place was little more than an insult.

PS: Why do you keep bringing the issue up?. What is it you've got against the bloke?

In terms of money spent on these guys I wonder what the £ per goal scored would look like.

I reckon each of hammond's goals cost £30k

but fryatt's cost £50-75k

and wait for it devries each of his goals cost £5k.

hume cost £750k so each of his goals are £30 k +

that doesn't take into account wages and I would guess hammond is on less than Hume anf Fryatt.

HHHHHmmmmmmmm.....New member,joined a couple of days ago,sticking up for Elvis!!! :whistle:

Must mean one thing... :wave: HELLO ELVIS!!!!! :wave:

Seriously though,Elvis is bad...BUT there are plenty others who are as bad,if not worse than him.

I still think he will do well on the wing for someone...just don't know who though! :eek: :banana:

Hammond scored six goals in 19 starts or one goal in three and a bit plus his few assists represent a better pro-rata return than anyone in the first team squad apart from Hume and that's fact. Fryatt managed 4 goals in around 23 starts, less than one goal in five.

For reasons of your own you choose to ignore facts.

You mention offisides and linking with team-mates but it's just random rhetoric that doesn't stand up when compared to his striking competitor Fryatt or even Horsfield.

Fryatt, for instance, was embarrassingly offside throughout the Barnsley match and that without any excuse, like Hammond, of being so quick that the linesman might and frequently does get it wrong.

There really is one attitude with Hammond and another with everyone else (apart from Hughes).

I remember Hammond getting hammered after having a perfectly decent shot from 15 yards well blocked by the keeper. Yet when Fryatt missed from exactly the same angle but five yards closer it was irnored by some, glossed over by others.

Hammond's not the greatest at getting his head up but don't tell me Fryatt links well with team-mates. He is so selfish that were I his strike partner I wouldn't even bother making the runs. Times Fryatt just stares at a team-mate in a good position and carries on doing his own thing.

Hammond did his stint this season, and an important one it was too. Fryatt was either literally or metaphorically absent virtually from start to finish and that includes pre-season. His contribution was negligible and the very idea of playing Horsfield in Hammond's place was little more than an insult.

PS: Why do you keep bringing the issue up?. What is it you've got against the bloke?

Fryatt is more of a striker than Elvios will ever be. I have no problems with Fryatt or Elvis having shots at goal or even being selfish within the penalty box, but I have major problems when a striker doesnt get into too many position sto do so or at least have his head up in open play. Elvis seems to flitter about the pitch as though he doesnt quite yet get the rules, Fryatt looks like a player who is missing a kick up the backside or a shot of confidence to get him to the stage where he thinks he is good enough for this level. Potentially, Fryatt can become a very good player, Elvis at almost 27 will never be a striker who scores 15-20 goals a season unless he gets a crack at the Rymans.

Getting a bit fed up with the Elvis bashing which goes on here

...but here's the reason why!

Hammond scored <blah blah blah> a better pro-rata return than <blah blah blah> Hume <blah blah blah> Fryatt <blah blah blah> you choose to ignore facts <blah blah blah> linking with team-mates <blah blah blah> Horsfield <blah blah blah> Hammond, of being so quick that the linesman might and frequently does get it wrong <blah blah blah> I remember <blah blah blah> Hammond did <blah blah blah> and an important one it was too.

:doh: :laugh:

Fryatt is more of a striker than Elvios will ever be. I have no problems with Fryatt or Elvis having shots at goal or even being selfish within the penalty box, but I have major problems when a striker doesnt get into too many position sto do so or at least have his head up in open play. Elvis seems to flitter about the pitch as though he doesnt quite yet get the rules, Fryatt looks like a player who is missing a kick up the backside or a shot of confidence to get him to the stage where he thinks he is good enough for this level. Potentially, Fryatt can become a very good player, Elvis at almost 27 will never be a striker who scores 15-20 goals a season unless he gets a crack at the Rymans.

Unless Fryatt is cloned in the close season and emerges, fit, sharp and anything like the player he used to be you and I will continue to disagree on this subject. With six goals in 19 starts Hammond was on target to get a lot nearer to 15 goals for a season than Fryatt was, given chance. But don't you think we can mutually agree to drop the subject for the close season and see what next year brings?

Why is it that whenever there's mention of a cull, Hammond's name gets mentioned and a mass debate ensues? :unsure:

There's others I'd rather we got shot of - those on more money and doing even less for the team. There's at least a couple. :whistle:

Also, what's the worst that can happen?

We're not going to chop and change 50% of our squad this summer, that's just asking too much. Massive turnover has done us no favours in the past, and I'm not convinced a total clear-out will do us much good now either.

Anyway... if there isn't a huge turnover of players and Hammond does stick around, then don't you worry Hammond Haters, his contract is up in the summer of 2008. So he won't be able to bug you much more. And if he is as truly shit and useless, the new manager won't use him - so he's as good as gone already.

Unless, of course, the new manager sees a use for Hammond on the football pitch... then you'll just have to suck it up and get on with it. ^_^:whistle:

...but here's the reason why!

:doh: :laugh:

If people keep taking totally unwarranted and continual swipes at the guy then it is hardly surprising someone stands up for him.

Even Sylla didn't get so much stick - to the very end there were people whio would still have picked him - yet he didn't score or threaten to score in two seasons.

Horsfield too - surely one of the worst centre-forwards to ever pull on a City shirt but he was never subjected to repeated slagging.

Strange really.

Thracian is Elvis Hammond.

I am not one to single players out as it is unfair, and in my opinion apart from about 3-4 players this season the whole squad have been just as bad as each other and it wouldn't bother me one bit if they all jogged on.

Can't wait till some of these lazy B******S who don't give a flying F**K about my team clear off.

What re you on about??! Yeates and Horsfield were on loan and have gone back and AJ has already been let go. De Vries and Douglas may be problems due to them being in contract and they are meant to be lucrative, relatively speaking or course. Cada was on a short term deal which will run out soon too and Newton was also a loanee. Dodds is contract is up too and Hendo signed a new deal in January. Yes from the rest of your list decisions will have to be made but what has that got to do with Elvis`s situation? He is only here because we have been scraping the barrel for 3 years and now we have some cash to spend the likes of Elvis need to be sold on.

I always use the following as a guideline to how bad things have got with our playing staff and their abilities (or lack of). Where do the players we sell end up??

COG - Rotherham

Joe Hamill - Livingston

Josh Low - Peterboro

Lee Morris - Yeovil

Momo Sylla - Kilmarnock

Gareth Williams - Watford (maybe the exception but that was for a cheapo fee too)

Elvis will be another that cant get into a decent team at this level and he will end up nothing more than a D2 player or some risk taking D1 side. We still ahve a few players who are not good enough to get into lame average sides like an Norwich or Ipswich. BTW, why is is that a club like Ipswich can be linked to players like Richard Wright or in particular, Francis Jeffers and some of our fans still want to keep hold of the likes of Elvis??

Punt him out FFS!

True about Jeffers, but Wright will always be linked with Ipswich as it's the club he began with and the one he supports too !!

Problem with what apexgeo said is one, which has been repeated for ages. Noone wants to keep Hammond, but there are even worse players that we need to ship out even quicker. As a striker he is abysmal but has still done more than others have. I will now return to physiological shunt and dead space

Archived