Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ChrisVessey CUFC

Foxes to sign Robbie Simpson?

Hello Leicester fans,

I'm a Cambridge United fan and it has been heavily rumoured you are about to sign out best player and star striker Robbie Simpson. Does anyone 'in the know' know if there is any truth to this? Reading the 'Non-League Paper' it appears you have signed another Conference striker in the shape of Matt Tubbs from Salisbury City, so i'm hoping and clutching at straws Robbie will stay with us.

For those who are unfamiliar with Robbie, he is a 22 year old striker who in his first season with us scored 17 goals in 28 appearances whilst mixing pro football with his studies at Loughborough Uni. He practically kept us up single-handed is without the best striker we've had since the likes of Dave Kitson and Trevor Benjamin graced the amber shirt. He is far too good for us in all honesty but we've made him a fantastic contract offer to make him the clubs highest paid player (about 1k a week i believe) with a two year contract option. Since his goal scoring exploits this season he has had scouts flocking from the likes of your fellow Championship clubs Norwich, Ipswich, Coventry and Burnley.

The only concrete speak coming from the club is that Leicester have offered him a deal, although you would have to pay compensation for him as he is out of contract and under 24. He has told the press he will wait till he has finished his exams mid-June before making a decision but if anyone knows anymore about this it would be much appreciated...

Cheers all,

Chris

Hello Leicester fans,

I'm a Cambridge United fan and it has been heavily rumoured you are about to sign out best player and star striker Robbie Simpson. Does anyone 'in the know' know if there is any truth to this? Reading the 'Non-League Paper' it appears you have signed another Conference striker in the shape of Matt Tubbs from Salisbury City, so i'm hoping and clutching at straws Robbie will stay with us.

For those who are unfamiliar with Robbie, he is a 22 year old striker who in his first season with us scored 17 goals in 28 appearances whilst mixing pro football with his studies at Loughborough Uni. He practically kept us up single-handed is without the best striker we've had since the likes of Dave Kitson and Trevor Benjamin graced the amber shirt. He is far too good for us in all honesty but we've made him a fantastic contract offer to make him the clubs highest paid player (about 1k a week i believe) with a two year contract option. Since his goal scoring exploits this season he has had scouts flocking from the likes of your fellow Championship clubs Norwich, Ipswich, Coventry and Burnley.

The only concrete speak coming from the club is that Leicester have offered him a deal, although you would have to pay compensation for him as he is out of contract and under 24. He has told the press he will wait till he has finished his exams mid-June before making a decision but if anyone knows anymore about this it would be much appreciated...

Cheers all,

Chris

Welcome to the forum, good post.

Sounds a very promising talent from what you've said. Out of the clubs that you have said he has been linked with you would think that we had a decent chance.

Is he likely to stay loyal to you lot? Or would the Championship be to big for him to refuse?

Hello Leicester fans,

Cheers all,

Chris

First I've heard about it,I'm sure he is a good prospect but I sincerley hope we are not going to be signing non-league players in an attempt to gain premiership status! :unsure:

First I've heard about it,I'm sure he is a good prospect but I sincerley hope we are not going to be signing non-league players in an attempt to gain premiership status! :unsure:

I agree. We do seem to be linked to a lot of non league players lately. But you can't blame us for looking at the lower leagues for young talent.

Is he likely to stay loyal to you lot? Or would the Championship be to big for him to refuse?

Personally, i think he is unlikely to stay. Of course he'll be wished well by the majority, how can you expect him to turn down such an offer, if it is true? A footballers ambition is to play as high as he possibly can and we can't begrudge that. Our manager Jimmy Quinn has stressed he believes Robbie should stay with us one more season then move on... as a former International striker (albeit Northern Ireland ;) ) he believes he can nurture Robbie a little before he can move on to bigger and better things.

His playing style is very akin to Dave Kitson - he's quite tall, gets stuck in, chases lost causes, never gives up, is very strong in the air and has a keen eye for goal.

To be fair, i think its great clubs like yourselves are scouring the lower leagues for talent. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Conference and below, but there is some good young players down here that never get a chance further up the leagues because of the cheap, foreign journeyman imports many Championship clubs seem to rely on nowadays.

its good for the future of English football for clubs like ours and other championship clubs to scout the lower leagues.

reading got promoted with a few players from lower leagues now look at them.

Personally, i think he is unlikely to stay. Of course he'll be wished well by the majority, how can you expect him to turn down such an offer, if it is true? A footballers ambition is to play as high as he possibly can and we can't begrudge that. Our manager Jimmy Quinn has stressed he believes Robbie should stay with us one more season then move on... as a former International striker (albeit Northern Ireland ;) ) he believes he can nurture Robbie a little before he can move on to bigger and better things.

His playing style is very akin to Dave Kitson - he's quite tall, gets stuck in, chases lost causes, never gives up, is very strong in the air and has a keen eye for goal.

To be fair, i think its great clubs like yourselves are scouring the lower leagues for talent. I'm not sure how familiar you are with the Conference and below, but there is some good young players down here that never get a chance further up the leagues because of the cheap, foreign journeyman imports many Championship clubs seem to rely on nowadays.

"His playing style is very akin to Dave Kitson - he's quite tall, gets stuck in, chases lost causes, never gives up, is very strong in the air and has a keen eye for goal."

If he's got all these attributes then I'm not surprised we've been linked to him. We certainly need someone who can win a share in the air. Cos most of our crosses are a waste before they're even delivered.

Hello Leicester fans,

Cheers all,

Chris

chris vessey do you think that he is good enough for the championship. obviously some championship teams do but what is your opinion :dunno:

Hello Leicester fans,

Cheers all,

Chris

The fact that he goes to Loughborough University will mean he knows a little about the county already. This could either be a positive or a negative in getting him to join us, probably a negative :whistle:

So, last season we only had players good enough for non-league football...and next season we'll have players that were good enough for non-league football.

Plus ca change... :|

:D

Hello Leicester fans,

Cheers all,

Chris

I know someone that knows him, and he said to me he didn't think he had what it was to make it at any level above the conference.

Source???

Coventry bid for Cambridge star

Coventry have made an undisclosed offer to Cambridge United for out-of-contract striker Robbie Simpson.

The 22-year-old has been considering Cambridge's offer of a new deal.

If he agrees to join Coventry, the U's will receive a fee as he is under 24 - and if the clubs cannot agree a fee, a tribunal would decide compensation.

"We made an offer, but there is some distance between the two clubs and it looks set to go to tribunal," boss Iain Dowie told the Sky Blues' website.

Simpson, who scored 17 goals in the Conference last season after joining the U's from Cambridge City, is studying sports science and maths at Loughborough University.

Somewhere on BBC pages..

Archived