Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MBK

Cureton

24-28 is about the peak of a strikers career. We need players in that age bracket to go along with younger players we already have. One or two older players, maybe in central midfield or defense, but whole team of them? No thanks.

Todorov is 28

Hendrie 30, Holland 33, Murphy 30

Don't see how that doesn't fit your bill??

I don't have a problem with Todorov or Hendrie. I just didn't see the point in all three of Todorov, Cort and Cureton.

Didn't mention cort but if we are looking for someone to make a difference for us, why would we be interested in a player who hasn't done it for Wolves who I assume signed him for the same reason.

Cureton for me is the player who has had one or two good seasons in the last ten or so..... on that basis I don't see what the attraction is.

I agree that I wouldn't want to see a team full of oldies, but I think there is a danger that if we just aim for improvement, we might only end up going from sh*t to average. We need some proven quality in the short term. We should be aiming higher than the likes of Cureton, Best, Cort etc

I don't have a problem with Todorov or Hendrie. I just didn't see the point in all three of Todorov, Cort and Cureton.

I agree, no point in all three Cureton is ok but doesnt set the world on fire. Both Cort and Todorov have had lengthy spells injured and I think both would be a risk I would rather see Eastwood or Sharp - the transfer fee might be higher but I guess the wages would be lower.

The way I see it, we have just won the FA Academy premiership title....we have bags of potential for the future!!

we have just signed this young lad Ricky Sappleton, I don't know anything about him but if what is being said is true, he is another great prospect.

What we need is someone who is going to come in and make an immediate impact, not a gamble on someone who might turn out to be a decent prospect or someone who has had one or two good seasons in the last ten.

First priority is getting out of this league.

People like

Todorov

Hendrie

Holland

Murphy

N'Gooty (great signing)

would do that

The future already looks bright, let's sort out today!!

palyers peak between 26-32 all depends what position they play in.

goalkeepers tend to peak later around 30

Didn't mention cort but if we are looking for someone to make a difference for us, why would we be interested in a player who hasn't done it for Wolves who I assume signed him for the same reason.

Cureton for me is the player who has had one or two good seasons in the last ten or so..... on that basis I don't see what the attraction is.

I agree that I wouldn't want to see a team full of oldies, but I think there is a danger that if we just aim for improvement, we might only end up going from sh*t to average. We need some proven quality in the short term. We should be aiming higher than the likes of Cureton, Best, Cort etc

Agree with you entirely on all the points. It was another poster that mentioned a Cort/Cureton combo btw.

Hahaha. Not good enough for the Championship. That's a good one.

If he's not good enough then Fryatt must be a Conference player.

Agreed, he is a very good striker at this level, scoring the most goals out of anybody in a season is some achievement. He is better than any of our strikers by a county mile.

Didn't realise Toddy was only 28. I'd be v happy with Hume/Todorov pairing. Ric Flair posted a very good shout with Gary O'Connor...I'd be chuffed with him. I've given up on Saganowski and Cureton just doesn't do anything for me. As a few people have pointed out, Cureton will be a marked man next season...McLeod will be a marked man as well.

Halford's at Reading now mate.

As for Cureton, I think you'll find parallels with a certain Marek Saganowski who everyone is currently masturbating furiously over.

It's one season Fez, I've seen more than enough of him when it's not working for him and it is far from a pretty site. The bloke mrs open goals from 2 yards, he's the biggest confidence player I've seen.

And he's old.

Agreed, he is a very good striker at this level, scoring the most goals out of anybody in a season is some achievement. He is better than any of our strikers by a county mile.

Absloute tripe.

He's been a lower league player his whole career and had had one purple patch in a team that did incredibly well this season.

And you have to ask why he did so well this season? Because he was a realtively unknown quantity maybe? Or perhaps because the defenders were too busy marking the bustling centre forward that is Iwelumo?

I give you the 04/05 season where he was at QPR - 6 goals in 43 games.

All in all, he has a strike rate of about 1 in 3, mainly at League 1 level. That does not suggest he is a good player at this level.

He's had his purple patch and as someone has already said, next season he will be a marked man and will not do anywhere near aswel.

Plus hes way too old.

No thank you very much -maybe decent back-up but nothing else.

Absloute tripe.

He's been a lower league player his whole career and had had one purple patch in a team that did incredibly well this season.

Yes and so are our strikers :blink: Cureton scored 24 goals this season whereas Hume, our best striker has scored 22 goals in 2 seasons. I can't beleive some people who cannot recognise this, say he's too old then suddenly express there delight when we sign the likes of N'Gotty. People moan at me for never being satisfied then slate me for saying golden boot winner would be a good signing. :unsure:

Yes and so are our strikers :blink: Cureton scored 24 goals this season whereas Hume, our best striker has scored 22 goals in 2 seasons. I can't beleive some people who cannot recognise this, say he's too old then suddenly express there delight when we sign the likes of N'Gotty. People moan at me for never being satisfied then slate me for saying golden boot winner would be a good signing. :unsure:

But the thing is, our strikers are a lot younger.

I will use Fyatt as an example. He has a similar strike rate to Cureton and he is 10 years younger and improving - still learning his trade. And you also have to account for all the games Fryatt played this season because of Nob Kelly where he was half fit.

Hume has a strike rate of about 1 in 4 (compared to Curetons 1 in 3), but a lot of his goals were scored from a midfield role at Tranmere.

The point is they are both young and improving and have about the same goal scoring rate as Cureton anyway now.

They will both be better players than Cureton with the correct coaching.

And you mention N'Gotty. Defenders are a different breed altogether especially a defender with N'Gottys proven quality. You dont play for AC Milan, Lyon, Marseille and a very successful Bolton side by being a poor player, whether hes old or not. If you're good enough age is no barrier.

Thing is Cureton is 31 and the highest level he has played at is the championship, whereas with N'Gotty its different. He's proven.

Thats the difference.

Hahaha. Not good enough for the Championship. That's a good one.

If he's not good enough then Fryatt must be a Conference player.

So you think he has two good seasons left in him do you?

Thats the minimum contract he'll be after even if he does well next season it's stretching it a bit to think he'll have three good seasons on the trot and imagine the stick he'll get if it backfires.

I'd be happy with him signing for us for a nominal fee but that about it.

It's one season Fez, I've seen more than enough of him when it's not working for him and it is far from a pretty site. The bloke mrs open goals from 2 yards, he's the biggest confidence player I've seen.

And he's old.

When we have strikers capable of scoring 24 goals in the Championship, capable of scoring the sort of hat-trick he did against Southend, then fair enough. But to suggest he's not good enough for a division he's just been top scorer in, is insane.

If a team who finished at the lower end of this division had been in with a chance of signing Paul Dickov in the summer of 2003, I wonder what their fans would have said.

You do what you can to get to the Premiership. I think Cureton has got a far better chance of being the 20-goal man we need next season to be in with a chance of promotion than the likes of Matty Fryatt, Izale McLeod or Leon Best.

For the players who are in their 20s and have a chance of being that man i.e. Billy Sharp, Robert Earnshaw, Diomansy Kamara you've got to shell out millions. If we could pick up the Championship's top scorer for about £500,000 on a two-year contract then that'll do me fine. Much rather that than spend £1.3million on Izale McLeod personally.

And I doubt any Hartlepool or Northampton fans thought Steve Howard was ever going to be a key man in a promotion team in this division at his age.

It's a possibility, but nothing more.

Cureton was pretty prolific during his time at Reading, when a certain Martin Allen was on the coaching staff.

But I suspect that Allen has already decided that Cort and Hume will be the main strike duo (barring injuries) next season.

So I doubt Cureton would be tempted to move here.

had one good season but no thanks.

i agree hes not an great player he just had one good season...not lcfc quality to be honest...martin allen said by the way ..dont believe everything what you read in the papers at the minute

i agree hes not an great player he just had one good season...not lcfc quality to be honest...martin allen said by the way ..dont believe everything what you read in the papers at the minute

Yeh i agree, i cant wait till Ronaldinho signs :rolleyes:

He was top goalscorer in this division last season, we finished 19th, we are hardly in a position to be picky.

When we have strikers capable of scoring 24 goals in the Championship, capable of scoring the sort of hat-trick he did against Southend, then fair enough. But to suggest he's not good enough for a division he's just been top scorer in, is insane.

If a team who finished at the lower end of this division had been in with a chance of signing Paul Dickov in the summer of 2003, I wonder what their fans would have said.

You do what you can to get to the Premiership. I think Cureton has got a far better chance of being the 20-goal man we need next season to be in with a chance of promotion than the likes of Matty Fryatt, Izale McLeod or Leon Best.

For the players who are in their 20s and have a chance of being that man i.e. Billy Sharp, Robert Earnshaw, Diomansy Kamara you've got to shell out millions. If we could pick up the Championship's top scorer for about £500,000 on a two-year contract then that'll do me fine. Much rather that than spend £1.3million on Izale McLeod personally.

And I doubt any Hartlepool or Northampton fans thought Steve Howard was ever going to be a key man in a promotion team in this division at his age.

You know I don't think one season makes a good player hence my opinions on Mr Fuller.

Our fans are the type of fans Cureton can't get on with, if he misses an easy chance and we all groan, as we like to do so much. His confidence will go and he wont get it back.

Some players need to be loved. and he wont get loved here.

If it's cheap then fair enough.

If we are signing a player with the hope of being promoted in the next couple of seasons we should do so with a view that they have something to offer on a long term. Cureton is 31 and has been unable to step up to the higher league so I doubt he will be able to do that now.

I believe there are better players we can target.

I hope this is only speculation - there has been no contact as yet, has there??

Archived