Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thracian

Matty's goal decisive

Matt Fryatt's stabbed home a late goal to give Leicester City a 1-0 win at Cambridge United last night and manager Martin Allen more to ponder before choosing his strikers for the first Championship League match on Saturday.

Fryatt should have scored four or five goals in a fascinating individual display of the goal poacher's art but the one that ended the fans frustration at his repeated misses came just seven minutes from time.

Hughes free-kick, header down by the giant Sappleton and a close range stab in from 5 yards or so.

Fryatt should have started a goal spree in the first half when Alan Sheehan offered him a simple opportunity with a perfectly flighted angled cross which the unmarked striker could only head wide from around the penalty spot.

Second half Fryatt benefitted from the increased presence of the cultured and fast-passing Academy forwards. How he flourished yet frustrated.

First he looked sure to score from the right after good work by Billy McKay but flashed a low drive wide of the far post. Another close range effort was launched over the bar. Then a deft turn eight yards out left him one against one with the goalkeeper but his shot was blocked when a chip was needed.

Occasionally Fryatt's skills were dazzling and he showed his best and worst when beating three or four defenders in a mazy dribble only to ignore a brilliant run by McKay which, had he passed, would surely have produced the breakthrough.

Another angled effort was deflected across goal by the home keeper only to somehow evade the incoming Ryan Beswick almost on the goal line. There was also a shot which deflected to Sappleton who contrived to hit the goalkeeper from 10 yards with the goal gaping.

So Fryatt, with his third goal of the close season was part hero for scoring the winner or part villain for missing so many simplish chances.

But, after a woefully ineffective first half playing mostly out of position he had 25 minutes second half when he looked as good as he's ever been at Leicester, apart from his finishing.

First half - with a bizarre team selection that had Fryatt on the left wing and Andy King on the right - the game meandered aimlessly and it was only with the second half introduction of the fast passing McKay, Porter and Beswick, plus Fryatt's individualism, which brought it to life.

But a win is a win and another clean sheet commendable.

There were other pluses.

Kisnorbo was fit and full of football, looking a class or two better than anything Cambridge could muster.

He read the game, won the headers, covered the ground and showed no signs whatever of either fitness or focusing difficulties after the Asia Cup.

Cambridge had half chances but their only real opportunity came from a through ball which almost caught Logan in no-man's land near the edge of his area. He managed a deflecting block but the Cambridge forward still had the choice a longish angled shot into an empty net or a pass to colleagues waiting in front of an open goal. He shot and hit the side netting.

Sheehan did his first team chances no harm with a calmly assured performance. Defensively he made one vital block and another headed clearance while sandwiched between two tall attackers - both of which possibly prevented goals.

Otherwise he was always available, clever at finding space, completely assured on the ball and quick to launch attacks with short or long passes.

Attendance 1513 (240 from Leicester)

Sounds like a typical Fryatt performance. He's got a knack of getting at least 3 or 4 chances a game, with a good coach and the right application he should be able to nail 15-20 goals a season, he's got that instinct. It is frustrating when he wastes chances though, it certainly doesn't suggest he's a natural finisher, but he certainly is. It's just getting him back to his best.

Sounds like a typical Fryatt performance. He's got a knack of getting at least 3 or 4 chances a game, with a good coach and the right application he should be able to nail 15-20 goals a season, he's got that instinct. It is frustrating when he wastes chances though, it certainly doesn't suggest he's a natural finisher, but he certainly is. It's just getting him back to his best.

Its only time to worry about a striker if they aren't getting any chances and Fryatt does get plenty of chances. He needs some regular football to get his confidence up. If he gets that the goals will come.

Nice...

Sounds like he is trying too hard to score.

That's the impression I got reading the various reports. I suppose he's desperate to impress, maybe he really does want to stay and fight for his place.

Sometimes people put the best strikers in the world on some type of pedestal and almost think that they never miss chances created! Ive lost count of the amount of times that I have sat down to watch SS and seen world beaters like Henrys stats appear like "Shots 5, On Target 3, Goals 1". The main part to all of this is that Matty Fryatt is hitting the back of the net. He is scoring in pre-season in all sorts of patched up sides that are being put out and hasn't had many senior strikers as his partner. I expect him to miss chances but the main part is to get in position to score and he has been doing this in pre-season friendlies. Lets hope he is given the chance to score for us again because I think he is more than capable.

Fryatt's three pre-season goals are encouraging. And he looks fit.

But while he looked a real handful for half an hour last night one thing still worries me.

His goals have come against ordinary opposition.

Last night his big strength was his dribbling.

But he's not fast and the better the opposition the harder it is for such tricks to work.

And when they don't Fryatt still doesn't offer much to the other players around him.

There was a great example last night when he saw what could have been a decisive run by McKay but didn't pass to him.

Instead he tried to dribble round a fifth defender and failed.

As a one-off it wouldn't matter but it's not.

On balance I'd keep him now. He's a worthwhile option.

But I'm still not sure if I'd regret it.

Fryatt's three pre-season goals are encouraging. And he looks fit.

But while he looked a real handful for half an hour last night one thing still worries me.

His goals have come against ordinary opposition.

Last night his big strength was his dribbling.

But he's not fast and the better the opposition the harder it is for such tricks to work.

And when they don't Fryatt still doesn't offer much to the other players around him.

There was a great example last night when he saw what could have been a decisive run by McKay but didn't pass to him.

Instead he tried to dribble round a fifth defender and failed.

As a one-off it wouldn't matter but it's not.

On balance I'd keep him now. He's a worthwhile option.

But I'm still not sure if I'd regret it.

Absolute rubbish. You can only perform against the people that are in front of you and to put a question mark over him because he is scoring at this level basically throws in the water all your crap about players like Dodds who have never scored at a level beyond reserves and academy but in your eyes, Dodds deserves a chance. Fryatt has scored league goals at Walsall, scored goals for us but has struggled with injury. He is back scoring goals are you are almost taking that away from him by critising the opposition and other parts of his game.

If you think DJ Campbell or Hume give the right pass at the right time, dribble passed plenty and score or generally wont be making errors, you will be wrong. Highlighting the fact that he didn't pass to McKay and went to go passed a 5th defender suggests he went passed 4 before that. How many in our team are capable of that???

I`ll apologies in advance for regurgitating this muck again but THE BLOKE IS ONLY 21!!!!

Hiya!

Shall we skip the argument and cut straight to the off-topic nonsense of the day.

I propose... your favourite early 90s Premiership footballers.

I'm going to kick things off with Glenn Helder.

I was a big fan of Robert Fleck and Jeremy Goss.

Absolute rubbish. You can only perform against the people that are in front of you and to put a question mark over him because he is scoring at this level basically throws in the water all your crap about players like Dodds who have never scored at a level beyond reserves and academy but in your eyes, Dodds deserves a chance. Fryatt has scored league goals at Walsall, scored goals for us but has struggled with injury. He is back scoring goals are you are almost taking that away from him by critising the opposition and other parts of his game.

If you think DJ Campbell or Hume give the right pass at the right time, dribble passed plenty and score or generally wont be making errors, you will be wrong. Highlighting the fact that he didn't pass to McKay and went to go passed a 5th defender suggests he went passed 4 before that. How many in our team are capable of that???

I`ll apologies in advance for regurgitating this muck again but THE BLOKE IS ONLY 21!!!!

You seem to totally miss my point. And I see no point in arguing it further if you intend to remain so blinkered.

I've said I'd retain the guy, I've given him the second best mark of the night, I've said he made a vital contribution ....

In the end time will tell.

Who was that little Scottish striker that Chelsea had in the early 90's? Shit, man. What was his name? Scored twice against us at The Bridge in 94/95.

I also used to like Gavin Peacock, before Chelsea became a bunch of wankers.

Archived