Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Filbert Street - The Legendary Home of Leicester City Football Club

Never got to see the old main stand sadly. My first game was a FNF reserve team match against Grimsby which I went to with the local Beavers group in the mid 90s & I sat in the Carling stand which must've been pretty new at the time.

Would love to be able to go back & experience a match at the old filbo before the Carling stand went up. Shame I had to be born in the wrong decade :@

I remember it once sitting down at my first game versus Portsmouth in a 1-1 draw. I wanted off during the second half and we left early in the pouring rain with me roaring.

Only time...started going regular as the Carling went up. Visibly remember the builders watching us on opening day against Peterborough from the stand.

Was that David Speedies debut? I loved that day. Some of the Kop were against Speedie and some of us were singing his name, but I think he soon won everybody over

All I ever hear about is Leicester fans complaining about the atmosphere at the Walkers Stadium, yet whenever the few people in the 'kop' start a chant, the rest of the ground does not join in.

Someone even tried to get a singing section in not long ago where you could change your season ticket to go to the singing section in a bid to get the atmosphere going. It didnt work.

I remember at Filbo getting down early to see all the players come out to warm up, and every single player had there own chant.

How many players in the current side have their own chant?

I love Citeh and going to matches is something that I look forwad to throughout the week, but once i'm in the ground I find the silence quite embarrasing.

Same here, I was a young lad and used to get in pen 2 or 3 early and the songs were going good and proper way before kick-off. Great days Eddie, great days.

My Granddad used to take me to the games and we had season tickets in the old Wing stand at the kop end about half way up right up against the barrier to the center stand. Great years all the way through the Bloomfield years and a few before and after.

Not me sadly. Went tomyfirst gamein '94. :cry:

Never got to see the old main stand sadly. My first game was a FNF reserve team match against Grimsby which I went to with the local Beavers group in the mid 90s & I sat in the Carling stand which must've been pretty new at the time.

Would love to be able to go back & experience a match at the old filbo before the Carling stand went up. Shame I had to be born in the wrong decade :@

Weren't we in the same Beavers group? I must've been at that game too. lol

I remember it well. I never watched a match in that stand, as I was a koppite.

My granddad had a season ticket there until the 1960's. He was supposed to give me the leather holder and his last season ticket (in those days, he said it was a single card, with your name and seat details, and there were no booklets with vouchers back then, and the club sold leather holders for them).

The best memory was after we beat Oxford to stay up in 91. The old stand had a little walkway to receive trophies (similar to the old Wembley) and all of the players came out one by one and were all clapped and cheered by the crowd. It is possibly the only time I ever remember Tony Spearings name being sung.

Not by me, it wasn't. ^_^

All I ever hear about is Leicester fans complaining about the atmosphere at the Walkers Stadium, yet whenever the few people in the 'kop' start a chant, the rest of the ground does not join in.

Someone even tried to get a singing section in not long ago where you could change your season ticket to go to the singing section in a bid to get the atmosphere going. It didnt work.

I remember at Filbo getting down early to see all the players come out to warm up, and every single player had there own chant.

How many players in the current side have their own chant?

I love Citeh and going to matches is something that I look forwad to throughout the week, but once i'm in the ground I find the silence quite embarrasing.

Yep those were the days.

U.S.A, U.S.A, U.S.A as Keller walked towards the goal in front of the kop :D

Weren't we in the same Beavers group? I must've been at that game too. lol

Haha seriously?! I don't remember you being at the same Beavers. Memory's a little hazy but I went to the Beavers group that met up in the scout hut on Little Bowden village green. I think it was 5th Market Harborough Beavers :scarf: but I could be wrong

& I think the Grimsby reserve game was 3-3?!

Haha seriously?! I don't remember you being at the same Beavers. Memory's a little hazy but I went to the Beavers group that met up in the scout hut on Little Bowden village green. I think it was 5th Market Harborough Beavers :scarf: but I could be wrong

& I think the Grimsby reserve game was 3-3?!

Yellow and black neckers? Yeah. :cool:

lol Beavers!

Is that the scout thing? I got kicked out of that when I was at Junior school for turning up pissed. And I mean proper pissed, falling over and shiz. That's what happens when your mates parents own a pub.

Not sure what happened after they told me to leave but I remember lying on my back looking up at the stars crying in the dark on some pensioners doorstep who I knew. Could never remember how I got to her doorstep cos it was a mile or two away :D She then proceeded to kick me, saying 'uck off home'. Hard as nails she was, gave me a few hammerings over the years.

Great days Eddie, great days

Remember it being about £1.80 to stand there with the junior fox membership card.

Stood there for a few years late 80s... Vividly remember some geezer standing about where that photo would have been taken bellowing "Pleat Out" at every game for about 18 months, which usually started as the players were warming up....bless him.

Also legging it onto the pitch from there at the end of the Oxford United game. Brilliant!

Many memories of the old main stand, my dad would often take us into the members enclosure and in the days when I went in it had a blue permiter fence in the early to mid 80s as hooliganism was rife, I recall watching Lineker destroy Villa one saturday morning scoring a hat trick in a 5-0 win, city decided to kick off at 11.30 I think?!

Also recall being saved by the blue fence on one occasion, Man United winger Arthur Graham had a decision against him and he slammed the ball against it, had it not been for the fence Id have probably needed reconstructive surgery.

My other memories unfortunately relate to trouble inside Filbo, one being the day when I decided to wear an ajax away shirt and Sheff Utd won 5-2 to get promotion, the blades were everywhere, pen 1, and also pen 4...and the baby squad were in the adjoining section of the members stand peering down on their fans who had been put into pen 4...I remember being sat with in the stand when id normally be in pen 3 and then getting asked if I was in fact a Sheffield fan as they (baby squad) couldnt figure out what shirt it was....! and assumed therefore it to be Sheff Utd. I was only in there because I took my girlfriend of the time to see a football match, nice welcome!

I was also a guest of Barrie Pierpoint :dunno: for the 91/92 Newcastle game when walshie scored at both ends, id been on work experience at the club and bazza let me in the plebs section, again I would have been in SK3, that was the day of the full scale riot!

My only Carling stand experience was spent chewing flies at the top of it where the big fook off lights attracted endless amounts of moths, flies and all sorts...on night games, I saw A.Madrid clearly get away with murder as I sat in the carling...

Remember my Dad taking me to the bar at the back of the members stand after every game , used to play football in there with few other kids with a bottle top !

lol Beavers!

Is that the scout thing? I got kicked out of that when I was at Junior school for turning up pissed. And I mean proper pissed, falling over and shiz. That's what happens when your mates parents own a pub.

Not sure what happened after they told me to leave but I remember lying on my back looking up at the stars crying in the dark on some pensioners doorstep who I knew. Could never remember how I got to her doorstep cos it was a mile or two away :D She then proceeded to kick me, saying 'uck off home'. Hard as nails she was, gave me a few hammerings over the years.

Great days Eddie, great days

Please. Please. Publish an autobiography.

I remember standing in the Families Enclosure, I too had a milk crate to stand on, but sometimes I sat on the crush barrier until my legs went numb!

Oh, and I could be very very wrong here....

main-stand-c.jpg

But the ginger fella on the floor eating the half time morsel there looks like a 21 yr old Suffolk Fox...

Edited by Suffolk_fox

I remember it all too well. my dad took me in 74 for my first game, went over to the right side, which was the family area if i remember correctly.

i remember trying to be a `real ` grown up by going in the old kop.

i sprained my wrist in one of those old style goal crushes.....oh happy days.