Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Filbert Street - The Legendary Home of Leicester City Football Club

Seeing Filbo brings back great memories, I don't think I will ever feel the same about the new Stadium! Just out of interest How much did everyone pay for there first game, mine was £4.50 I think.

£3.50 for me ............. in 1988

May 11th 2002, exactly 10 years to the day we played our final ever league match at Filbert Street, against Spurs.

http://www.lcfc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10274~217367,00.html - Link 1 to photos from the game

http://www.lcfc.com/page/LatestNews/0,,10274~217401,00.html - Link 2 more photos from the game

I'm sure there is hundreds of posts regarding Filbert Street, but I really can't belive that its 10 years since we left.

So much has changed since then, I do miss it as it reminds me of my youth (even though I am still young), but we had so many

good memories.

Maybe share some of them?

I remember my first game at Filbert Street in the mid 90's. I'd already been to an away game at Reading where I just ran around the

terraces like a nutter but sitting still proved to be a problem at the all seated Filbert Street. I managed to trap my finger in the seat

during the game and managed to miss a goal as my dad tried to calm me down. Then I needed to go toilet at some point and we managed

to miss another goal, however my dad dragged me out the toilets and I seem to remember him throwing me a mile into the air.

Can't really remember much else, my dad doesn't remember who it was against either. Either way trapping my finger in the seat or the

lovely smell of the toilets got me hooked...

In the modern world, Filbert St was generally shit, but it was our shit and I loved it.

I hope the Thai's future long term development plans consist of making a two tiered stand... or two.

These characterless bowl stadiums are awful in a different way.

Edited by cc_star
  • Like 1

Haha thanks for pissing on my post. A lot more informative tho, cheers!

If I'd wanted to piss on it I would have merged it straight away, I'll let it run for few days and then merge it at a later date so it's all in the archive.

There's also this topic - http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/topic/81638-old-pictures/

I loved Filbert St and still think it was worth a handful of points to us a times during the mid-late 90's. It will always be my home for LCFC and I find it strange that I will only ever be able to show my kids pictures, they will never fully understand, terracing and Kops.

Strange to think that 10 years ago today, matt piper scored to give filbert st a decent send off and that the old bill took a bit of a kicking at the bottom of one of the exits after an incident in SK2 which sparked carnage at half-time, a proper send of for filbert st, some would say.

Am i right in remembering it all went of in town that night as well around grandby st? think a WPC got a slap and it kicked of a small riot in which a cop car got turned over.

Ah the emotions of football.

I loved Filbert St and still think it was worth a handful of points to us a times during the mid-late 90's. It will always be my home for LCFC and I find it strange that I will only ever be able to show my kids pictures, they will never fully understand, terracing and Kops.

I agree would love to show my 8 year son around Filbert St, will always be LCFC true home in my heart! Not sure about the handful of points, just think we were alot better team then!

I remember the day well, so pleased that we won (because, sadly, we didn't win many that year).

Great way to end and took home a piece of turf from the Filbert St goalmouth.

Two of my mates took some turf too, so with there turf & your turf, we are part of the way to re-creating Filbert Street. Plus there

was never much grass in the penalty area so we are nearly there.

I'll echo some of the thoughts on here; it's gonna be hard to explain to my child about Filbert St. It's hard to explain even now the difference in atmosphere. Filbo represents an era in the football club that just feels like it can't be beaten. I hope the Thais do do something to redevelop and perhaps install a bit of character in Filbert Way; we badly need it, and I feel only with it will we prosper.

It is still sorely missed; I'm so chuffed I still have my prized possession - a roof tile I nicked from the demolition site on a very drunken night!

543068_10150816702144195_517619194_9595537_1493837099_n.jpg

Used to live on the East Stand, just above the spot that my dad and I used to live on. We've still got our seats in the garage somewhere....

Was a privilege to be at that game 10 years ago but it was an odd day from what I recall. It felt really strange that our first season in the new stadium would coincide with our drop back into the second tier.

I remember feeling like it was the end of an era - not just the stadium but most of the fantastic players we'd had in the MON era had gone by then and we'd been left with some woeful players. They say football's cyclical, well let's bloody hope so as we're due an upturn in fortune!

Edited by Paddy Akinbiyi

I can remember Harry Redknapp saying it was the most intimidating ground on football focus once. Not surprised though, the roof of the away dug out used to get some stick as it was set back into the main stand, i can remember it shattering one game. You could also poke your head round the side of the dug out and call the opposition 'Wankers' and all sorts. lol.