Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Filbert Street - The Legendary Home of Leicester City Football Club

Just look at the way the seating was arranged... Man, that must've felt like you're actually ON the pitch.

I never was that fortunate to get to see us play at Filbert Street, but one thing I do know is:

The atmosphere at the Walkers will never be able to live up to it.

Did anyone else know that Clemence also won the penalty for Spurs that day?

Filbert Street will always hold a place in the heart of every Leicester supporter who went there, no matter how well we do at the Walkers. It was a proper stadium with a great atmosphere.

I was talking to a few mates who support other clubs yesterday and it got me thinking about leaving Filbo a bit. Although I enjoyed games there much more than I do at the Walkers, I think leaving when we did allows it to be remembered as a great stadium that always had an electric atmosphere.

My two mates support Wednesday and Bristol City, two teams with formerly great matchday atmospheres, but now with much less so. They say that although they're still in the same stadiums that used to have a real buzz about them; high ticket prices, ridiculously strict stewarding, increase in families attending, banning orders, attempts by their clubs to americanise the matchday (playing music when they score etc) have all led to a sharp deterioration in atmosphere.

I would have hated this have happened to Filbert Street. Which is probably the only very small silver lining I can think of about moving to the Walkers.

I was talking to a few mates who support other clubs yesterday and it got me thinking about leaving Filbo a bit. Although I enjoyed games there much more than I do at the Walkers, I think leaving when we did allows it to be remembered as a great stadium that always had an electric atmosphere.

My two mates support Wednesday and Bristol City, two teams with formerly great matchday atmospheres, but now with much less so. They say that although they're still in the same stadiums that used to have a real buzz about them; high ticket prices, ridiculously strict stewarding, increase in families attending, banning orders, attempts by their clubs to americanise the matchday (playing music when they score etc) have all led to a sharp deterioration in atmosphere.

I would have hated this have happened to Filbert Street. Which is probably the only very small silver lining I can think of about moving to the Walkers.

Interesting point that.

At a football ground you spend most of you time looking at the pitch.

I'm afraid what the average supporter gets is no more than filbert street, all of the money has been spent improving corperate facilities etc

Average fans get the same plastic seat set in concrete,same crappy food, same queing, same rip of prices.

Only now the pitch is a long way from most seats, no banter between fans +football quality is poor

Most fans that go to the Walkers were sold to LCFC at filbo and cling on to memories.

I can assure you for many reasons the experience of watching LCFC is nothing like as enjoyable as it was then, not being an old fart speaking as a fan who turns up out of habit

Absolutely spot on! Ah filbo was awesome, moved across all of the pens in my time, pen 3 when pen 2 was empty and the away fans were in pen 1, then pen 2 and eventually pen1 when we stuck them in the end of the bus shelter/east stand! I think I am going to go and cry for a minute

Edited by Theboybroome

I remember the 15 mins of singing "Iwan is a Welshman" during Half time v Cov(i think!)in Pen 2

Things like that will remain until my dying day!!!!

I stil get palputations thinking about it now!!!!

remember it well raj , iwan had just scored on brink of half time and we sang iwan is a welshman all the way through half time (was it a monday night football live on sky ?)

the downside was Cov scored just after half time , we went quiet and they sang back "YOU ONLY SING AT HALF TIME"

really good days , i feel for the youngsters who didnt sample the kop :scarf:

Ah, those were the days, within touching distance of the pitch, standing on the terrace in the Kop and swaying with the crowd.

Then we had seating installed!

At least the seats were closer together, your knees would be up against your chest, everyone would stand up if the game got exciting. (why doesn't that happen now?)

Best memory, seeing Andy Peake score against Liverpool way back in the annals of time. (Amongst other memorable goals)

Ok. I mean he was just inside their half, it became goal of the season on MOTD.

Worst memory, sitting in the kop on a freezing cold winters night watching us play some god forsaken non league team in the FA Cup.

We were playing absolute crap, no one sitting anywhere near me.

Ended up with my feet up sprawled along three seats watching a boring crap game and freezing to death.

Game ended in a draw.

Was that bad can't even remember who we played or final score.

Ooh, we won the replay!!!!

To be fair even though I was there, watching footage from the 'old' days just makes me pretty depressed about the state of things on and off the pitch now. Maybe ignorance is bliss.

I bought the Finals boxset in the sale and watching the old days made me anything but depressed.

Where did our old scoreboard go? I'm sure another club bought it (Or we donated it :dunno:) to another club and they have got it at there stadium? I'm just watching the Luton game on Sky, and thinking maybe it went to Luton?

I think the scoreboard went to Bury. I remember talking to a Bury fan some time ago and hs said it was still crap and didnt work!!

This has got me thinking, where has everything gone?

Stand - Rotherham get it in the end?

Dugouts - have gone to Rugby, quite funny when i turned up for a non league game their and realised id seen them before.

Scoreboard - Bury

Anything else?

This has got me thinking, where has everything gone?

Stand - Rotherham get it in the end?

Dugouts - have gone to Rugby, quite funny when i turned up for a non league game their and realised id seen them before.

Scoreboard - Bury

Anything else?

Which Stand?

The LCFC Seats went to Lancaster City FC

Which Stand?

The LCFC Seats went to Lancaster City FC

I don't actually know to be honest, i thought part of (not all of it) the carling went to Rotherham or was going :dunno: . Maybe i dreamn't it

I don't actually know to be honest, i thought part of (not all of it) the carling went to Rotherham or was going :dunno: . Maybe i dreamn't it

There was a club interested in taking the Carling, can't remeber who, could have been Rotherham but it turn out to costmore to dismantle, ship and reassemble than a new stand. As I said I'm sure the seats went to Lancaster

In the spirit of the Legends Threads I thought it would be good to have one dedicated to Filbert St.

• Post your memories of the Filbert St here!
  • Post your best moments relating to Filbert St here!
  • Post anything you want to say about Filbert St here!

The official Site

Some pictures to set the mood

31.jpg

28.jpg

27.jpg

20.jpg

Apart from so many special matches as a fan my enduring memory is of training around the cinder track at Filbert Street and firing shots at Peter Shilton in the little gym under the main stand.

We used to gather every Tuesday and Thursday night after school in the 60's when I was 14/15 under the guidance of Geroge Dewis.

Sessions used to begin on the main tarmac car park outside the ground when we'd do a whole lot of ballplay exercises before rounding off with a game.

Then it was onto the track which ran around the ground - never the pitch itself - when we'd do a whole lot of shuttle running and sprinting routines.

In the gym we'd play small-sided games and afterwards Peter Shilton would ask a couple of us to help improve some aspects of his play by shooting at him.

I knew Shilts quite well because we were in the same 60th Leicester scout troop and the guy who often joined us was Tony Mathers who was later hurt in a car crash.

Even then, though Shilts was six months younger than me, you you not just that he would play for Leicester but that he'd play for England. He was extraordinarily dedicated - totally single minded - and the most marvellous goalkeeper.

I remember seeing him hanging on the school-style wooden wall bars in the gym stretching himself because there were some concerns he wouldn't be tall enough or big enough at the time.

Another memory was the smell of linament in the changing room. Even now I love it and many footballers say the same.

A few team-mates reckoned I loved it so much I spent half my life in the treatment room getting a massage as a means of missing the training but in reality I loved the work-outs and dreamed of playing on the Filbert Street pitch.

It was never to be and in the end the only League grounds I ever played on were at the then rather dingy outposts of S****horpe, Grimsby and Hereford.

Happy days though.

Edited by Thracian

There was a club interested in taking the Carling, can't remeber who, could have been Rotherham but it turn out to costmore to dismantle, ship and reassemble than a new stand. As I said I'm sure the seats went to Lancaster

Didnt Mansfield buy some of the seats? I seem to remember that someone like Hinckley Town had some too?