Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Filbert Street - The Legendary Home of Leicester City Football Club

Cracking set of pictures , i used to sit on the wall at the front when i 1st started going but had to have legs behind the wall , good days.

The Mercury use a picture of the old Kop every now and again which i am on climbing the fence but i cant find the pic , certainly not on google anyway

Cracking set of pictures , i used to sit on the wall at the front when i 1st started going but had to have legs behind the wall , good days.

The Mercury use a picture of the old Kop every now and again which i am on climbing the fence but i cant find the pic , certainly not on google anyway

I remember a steward telling me off for sitting on that wall, down by the goal of the South Stand. I remember it being pretty open and you could venture round the ground pretty freely, we often used to start there and head into the South Stand because of seeing a few friends.

Good times.

I remember it once sitting down at my first game versus Portsmouth in a 1-1 draw. I wanted off during the second half and we left early in the pouring rain with me roaring.

Only time...started going regular as the Carling went up. Visibly remember the builders watching us on opening day against Peterborough from the stand.

All I ever hear about is Leicester fans complaining about the atmosphere at the Walkers Stadium, yet whenever the few people in the 'kop' start a chant, the rest of the ground does not join in.

Someone even tried to get a singing section in not long ago where you could change your season ticket to go to the singing section in a bid to get the atmosphere going. It didnt work.

I remember at Filbo getting down early to see all the players come out to warm up, and every single player had there own chant.

How many players in the current side have their own chant?

I love Citeh and going to matches is something that I look forwad to throughout the week, but once i'm in the ground I find the silence quite embarrasing.

All I ever hear about is Leicester fans complaining about the atmosphere at the Walkers Stadium, yet whenever the few people in the 'kop' start a chant, the rest of the ground does not join in.

Someone even tried to get a singing section in not long ago where you could change your season ticket to go to the singing section in a bid to get the atmosphere going. It didnt work.

I remember at Filbo getting down early to see all the players come out to warm up, and every single player had there own chant.

I love Citeh and going to matches is something that I look forwad to throughout the week, but once i'm in the ground I find the silence quite embarrasing.

1) The club killed that off, probably because it was working.

2) People got down there early to grab the best spot because it was mostly unreserved and you could sit/stand where you wanted, there's no reason to get there early now. That's when the individual chants were created and sung.

The thing is, you can barely hear it from other parts of the ground. I'm in A block of the West Stand, and you can sometimes hear L1, just, but the noise from the Kop just doesn't carry at all. There just aren't the numbers singing to generate any volume. Even in L1, which seems to be widely acknowledged as the most vocal section of the stadium, we're only talking about a few hundred people making any sort of co-ordinated noise, whereas in the old Kop at Filbert you'd have a couple of thousand doing that.

Isn't the fact that people don't really sing at grounds anymore just down to fashion? Nothing's actually stopping people from singing. I used to like a good old sing song, but I'm not too arsed about it now and it seems that most of the other people in the ground (and grounds elsewhere for that matter) don't seem to bothered either.

There was an interview with some old boy in The Mercury not long ago who was 90 odd or something, and when they asked him what the atmosphere was like when he was young, he said that no-one sang then either, that it was a thing that came in later. It's died off for whatever reasons and will probably come back at some point. I don't think it's something you can force, really

Sadly, the Main Stand was demolished by the time i was born... I never got to see it in all its "glory"... All my memories of filbert street are of an all seater stadium on the bottom tier of the Kop, around the section that was known as Pen 2 :P

The best memory was after we beat Oxford to stay up in 91. The old stand had a little walkway to receive trophies (similar to the old Wembley) and all of the players came out one by one and were all clapped and cheered by the crowd. It is possibly the only time I ever remember Tony Spearings name being sung.

Great Pics, memories of me in the 70s standing there, a Cornish Mate of mine used to date a Girl from Coalville in the 80s and he always stood in front of the main stand and said Andy Peake was the best player we had. :chant:

Always remember trying to climb up into the seats as a Kid at half time in the Burnley game (1st win of the Season in Nov or Dec) in the 70s and somehow slipping and ending up dangling upside down trapped by by my foot or my flared jeans waiting for a Steward to throw me out but they just laughed and let me up into the main stand. ;0) :scarf:

The best memory was after we beat Oxford to stay up in 91. The old stand had a little walkway to receive trophies (similar to the old Wembley) and all of the players came out one by one and were all clapped and cheered by the crowd. It is possibly the only time I ever remember Tony Spearings name being sung.

Thats one of my fondest City memories. I remember the players throwing their shirts and boots into the crowd as if they'd just won the league. :scarf:

The standing area in front of the old main stand was the family enclosure and it had a very good atmosphere, it was where I first stood at filbert st before later going in sk3. I was one of them kids standing on a milk crate on the back row it was a great view. The pictures bring back happy memories.