Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
purpleronnie

Filbert Street - The Legendary Home of Leicester City Football Club

My first game there was beating Charlton 2 1 in 94. I think we got the winner late on. My dad took me and can vaguely remember the full time whistle going, and standing in one of the pens. I also remember drawing 2 2 with Everton, Duncan Ferguson got sent off. I believe it was the same day Man Utd beat Ipswich 9 1. Dont know whether anyone can confirm that or if its just my memory playing tricks on me

I can remember when they used to put away fans in pen 1 us in pen 3 and used pen 2 as segregation. Every now and then if there was a big away following they would let them into pen 2. This would ramp up the atmosphere as both sets of fans reared up at each other on opposite sides of the fence with the sounds of coins tinkling on the mesh between us. Chelsea and wolves were always tasty atmospheres.

Davie G's posts on Filbert St are usually spot on. Sometimes the atmos could be dead!

However, at other times it was absolutely rocking.

Personally, the best thing about Filbo st was that Spion Kop 1 was right next to the away fans...

Had some magic times in SK1.

Many happy memories for me of Filbert Street from 1984 to 2002 but my worst one was reluctantly going to a game in April 1995 with a bunch of Man United fans (a notion bad enough in itself I guess!!), who I worked with in Northampton at that time and seeing us getting stuffed 0-4, courtesy of Andy Cole and co at the time. Although Blackburn won the title that season, the Mancs were still riding high and with the threat of relegation very much a reality for us (and would be realised at the time after this first season of ours in the Prem. under Mark McGhee, after Brian Little had defected to Villa some months earlier), we were no match for United. It was an eminently forgettable game all around for us.

To add to the fun I was a postman at the time and had been up since the early hours that particular Saturday and with that I had a virus at the time and was ill. I remember puking up in the male toilet's sinks in full view at half time and the small handful of people in there at the time barely batted an eyelid!! Now I would probably have the media on my case had I replicated my enforced antics at that time in the King Power's toilet sinks and would certainly have everybody watching me - and be chucked out with it!

I also had to get one of my Manc chums (unfamiliar with the one way lay out near to the Welford Road/Saffron Lane area) to drive us all back to Northampton on the return leg in my car as I was too ill to drive both ways that day - which included his going up the wrong way of a one way street, unwittingly! - somehow we weren't stopped by the cops either! Funny to look back on but def. not funny for me at the time!! I was very ill at home for two days thereafter also!

Edited by Guy

So many memories but for me the night in May 1992 when we beat Cambridge 5-0 in the Play Offs was the greatest. Filbo rocked that night and I think because we were all so tense beforehand - I don't think anyone expected us to romp it in the way that we did. 20 years ago - makes me feel old!

So many memories but for me the night in May 1992 when we beat Cambridge 5-0 in the Play Offs was the greatest. Filbo rocked that night and I think because we were all so tense beforehand - I don't think anyone expected us to romp it in the way that we did. 20 years ago - makes me feel old!

Me too, it was the completely opposite experience of my time against Man Utd some three years later! Kevin "Rooooooster" Russell and Tommy Wright rocked! - while Stevie Claridge, Dion Dublin, Gary Rowett and Lee Philpott were in Cambridge opposition! They were a pretty good side too but we just wiped the floor with them on that phenomenal night. I don't think I've seen such a one sided game ever since then, 20 years on.........despite the O'Neill years that followed four years later!

very good night :thumbup:

Cambridge had some real good players too !

Chelsea games were fantastic. I am sure we were registered as noisiest fans in the prem in one game against them in the late 90s. Think we lost 2-4

We did. One of the best performances I've ever seen from LCFC and we lost 2-4!

• 3 weeks later...

I've just read this thread from start to finish. I don't know whether to feel depressed that we've left FS and with it everything a normal fans enjoyed at a football match, or happy, proud and lucky to have experienced the joys of FS.

How is it possible to feel both gutted and excited in the same instance?

I remember the Tranmere play-off game like it was yesterday. I was about 8 at the time, I remember my dad buying me a balloon with a laggy band on it so you could punch it back and forth. I was in the standing only bit in the West Stand and because I couldn't see I moved down the front. There was another young lad there and between us we kicked the crap out of that balloon.

The stewards didn't give a flying f..k! The atmosphere was out of this world, I remember the Leicester fans singing "the referee's a willy puller", only after the second verse everyone stopped - I didn't though, I carried on all on my little lonesome, the steward nearby turned round and looked at me and just smirked.

The antics when Speedie came on were brilliant, the keeper getting sent off much to the enjoyment of every City fan and Walshy (as ever) ready to knock someones block off.....ahh they were they days!

We won 2-1 and I remember us singing "bring on the Rams" and "Tranmere are going nowhere" it sounded almost robotic with the amount of people singing.

I'm just glad that the King Power has improved in atmosphere (if only a little) and long may it continue! It will never be FS, but it's not supposed to be, we've just got to get over the fact that FS has gone, gone but not forgotten, thankfully the memories will always be there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Every few months someone will post pics of Filbert Street and it really makes me sad that we have a lifeless stadium now sad.gif

Same here.

They are fantastic, got any more?

They are indeed, remember the whole of the Glenfield under 10's being in that bath after we had won some sort of trophy with all the parents/fans crammed. Be a stick on peadophilia case now.

Fantastic photos, great memories, used to sit down in the upper tier mainly for the couple of seasons but did a few games where you sat on the front of the fence, what a great time that was to watch live football.

Quite sad that within 20 years we have gone from a club whose biggest following was in the "Members Stand" to a club who can't even be arsed to produce a Members package for it's supporters.

Edited by MattP