Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Warnock_For_PM

Best Album Ever Made

I'm sorry TLB. Perhaps you can add to the list of pop stars that have said slightly dodgy things of a right wing nature, which I'm compiling out of sheer boredom:

Ted Nugent

Crispian Mills

Eric Clapton

Morrissey

Bryan Ferry

Any others?

David Bowie, LINK.

On the magnificent, sprawling, mechanical title track, the absence of compassion and humanity defines the Thin White Duke, a persona accumulated through Bowie's flirtation with fascism (On the Young Americans tour, Bowie gave an adoring crowd a fascist salute and was caught with totalitarian literature on the Germany border). The Duke is a bitter, affection-starved, fascist misfit who leads his "European cannon," sulkily "throwing darts in lover's eyes." "It's too late/to be grateful/It's too late/to be late again/It's too late/to be hateful/The European cannon is here," Bowie sings of his emotion-squashing protagonists. It is an excellent way to begin the calculated, withdrawn feel of an excellent, unique album.

David Bowie, LINK.

On the magnificent, sprawling, mechanical title track, the absence of compassion and humanity defines the Thin White Duke, a persona accumulated through Bowie's flirtation with fascism (On the Young Americans tour, Bowie gave an adoring crowd a fascist salute and was caught with totalitarian literature on the Germany border). The Duke is a bitter, affection-starved, fascist misfit who leads his "European cannon," sulkily "throwing darts in lover's eyes." "It's too late/to be grateful/It's too late/to be late again/It's too late/to be hateful/The European cannon is here," Bowie sings of his emotion-squashing protagonists. It is an excellent way to begin the calculated, withdrawn feel of an excellent, unique album.

Oh David, how could I forget? Morrissey's 'The National Front Disco' is supposedly about Bowie's brush with the far right, but whether there's even a shred of truth in this I haven't a clue

If its not been mentioned

Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell

Very good. My dad used to listen to this all the time when I was a kid. As a result the first album I bought or myself was Bat out of Hell 2 on cassette (they were what we had before cds, youngsters....and cds were what we had before minidiscs....and minidiscs were what we had before mp3....). On a Tuesday night my mum and dad sent me to some church youth group. God knows why none of them are religious, and the bloke on the piano there would always take a request. I asked for a Meatloaf song. Apparently it was inappropriate. I thought Heaven Can Wait was a pretty good compromise myself.

Archived