Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Warnock_For_PM

Best Album Ever Made

Damn you BS for beating me to that comment! :@

I'm sorry TLB. Perhaps you can add to the list of pop stars that have said slightly dodgy things of a right wing nature, which I'm compiling out of sheer boredom:

Ted Nugent

Crispian Mills

Eric Clapton

Morrissey

Bryan Ferry

Any others?

Apart from maybe when he does things like this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6561177.stm

He was talking artistically. Hitler and all he stood for was abhorrent. But the rallys he staged were aesthetically stunning. This is what Ferry was referring to. Ferry has since won damages agains the Swedish newspaper which first printed the dross about his Nazi "sympathies". The Daily Mirror was alos forced to print an apology.

I'm sorry TLB. Perhaps you can add to the list of pop stars that have said slightly dodgy things of a right wing nature, which I'm compiling out of sheer boredom:

Ted Nugent

Crispian Mills

Eric Clapton

Morrissey

Bryan Ferry

Any others?

Again, Morrisey made comments about the lack or loss of a British identity. I don't think he was being racist to be quite honest. The NME has had this racist bee in its bonnet about Morrissey ever since he raised the Union Flag at Finsbury Park in 1992. Morrissey's comments were construed to be a focus on immigration. He mentioned this only as a possible contributing factor. Personally, I don't think that thats the case, although its an argument I pay little attention to as I consider myself to be a citizen of Europe rather than Britain. However I have read his comments and I personally do not believe that they are in any way racist. But of course others are entitled to the view that his comments were meant in such a way. And I know that you yourself did not refer to either Ferry or Morrissey asa racist. I'm reacting more to the media portrayal than your own comment. It saddens me that the press in this country are so quick to try to discredit successful artists in this country, especially those with the longevity of the aforementioned, who, if from other naions would probably be revered. Then again, perhaps its a case of our media being vigilant against perceived intolerance. I really don't know.

Yeah they were incredible, i still thought Muse were better tho.

Seen muse at many places, including supporting them at the charlotte in 1999. they were awesome.

The pearl jam gig was different to muse, muse play more often.

Pearl jam hadn't played in the uk since 2000 so it made it more special.

buts its all relative too i like PJ more than muse too ,so was bound to enjoy PJ more.

Also they are a different kind of live band, no gimmicks its all about the music.

Ted Nugent

Crispian Mills

Eric Clapton

Morrissey

Bryan Ferry

Any others?

Joy Division/New Order - although they never spoke about or showed support of Nazi idiology, both names have been pointed out as having links to Nazism.

Joy Division was the name of a group of Jewish women used as sex slaves, New Order was a political ideal of the Nazis, and is the name of a Neo-nazi group today.

Having said that, I like both groups music and can't say that their music supports any fascist teachings.

Again, Morrisey made comments about the lack or loss of a British identity. I don't think he was being racist to be quite honest. The NME has had this racist bee in its bonnet about Morrissey ever since he raised the Union Flag at Finsbury Park in 1992. Morrissey's comments were construed to be a focus on immigration. He mentioned this only as a possible contributing factor. Personally, I don't think that thats the case, although its an argument I pay little attention to as I consider myself to be a citizen of Europe rather than Britain. However I have read his comments and I personally do not believe that they are in any way racist. But of course others are entitled to the view that his comments were meant in such a way. And I know that you yourself did not refer to either Ferry or Morrissey asa racist. I'm reacting more to the media portrayal than your own comment. It saddens me that the press in this country are so quick to try to discredit successful artists in this country, especially those with the longevity of the aforementioned, who, if from other naions would probably be revered. Then again, perhaps its a case of our media being vigilant against perceived intolerance. I really don't know.

Well, I quite agree with you on all of that, particularly being as I am a massive Morrissey fan. He's come out and said that he abhors racism and doesn't understand it and frankly that's good enough for me. Everything else that he's said or done that is contentious has only been so because the sodding NME or whoever have put their own slant on it, and the hamfistedness of their latest so called expose just smacks of children playing at shock journalism.

It's a sad state of affairs when you cannot say what you want to, but with all these stirring twats in the media I must say that I question the wisdom of broaching these subjects because they must surely know by now that if they can put a racist slant on what is said they will do. The NME's original slur from '92 has stuck to him ever since, even though it was in my eyes entirely unjustified, and it had ALMOST been forgotten when he did that recent interview in the NME that caused all the fuss

Well, I quite agree with you on all of that, particularly being as I am a massive Morrissey fan. He's come out and said that he abhors racism and doesn't understand it and frankly that's good enough for me. Everything else that he's said or done that is contentious has only been so because the sodding NME or whoever have put their own slant on it, and the hamfistedness of their latest so called expose just smacks of children playing at shock journalism.

It's a sad state of affairs when you cannot say what you want to, but with all these stirring twats in the media I must say that I question the wisdom of broaching these subjects because they must surely know by now that if they can put a racist slant on what is said they will do. The NME's original slur from '92 has stuck to him ever since, even though it was in my eyes entirely unjustified, and it had ALMOST been forgotten when he did that recent interview in the NME that caused all the fuss

I'm a massive fan of Morrissey too incidentally, although my favourite band/artist is Belle and Sebastian. Its beena while since they left a gap this long between albums and although I'm aware that right now they are involved, individually, in other projects I'm concerned as to whether another album will be forthcoming. I hope so, because although for me Tigermilk, Arab Strap and Sinister are by far their best pieces of work, I also enjoyed Waitress and Life Pursuit, which although comparatively overproduced are still gems in their own right.

I'm a massive fan of Morrissey too incidentally, although my favourite band/artist is Belle and Sebastian. Its beena while since they left a gap this long between albums and although I'm aware that right now they are involved, individually, in other projects I'm concerned as to whether another album will be forthcoming. I hope so, because although for me Tigermilk, Arab Strap and Sinister are by far their best pieces of work, I also enjoyed Waitress and Life Pursuit, which although comparatively overproduced are still gems in their own right.

Stuart Murdoch's doing his weird girl singer thing isn't he? He's also got married, which has probably taken his eye off the ball somewhat. There was a response in the Q&A thing on their website recently though that sounded things would be starting again soon, so I wouldn't be too worried.

I thought the Life Pursuit was absolutely brilliant, and I like it as much as any of the other albums although I acknowledge that most B&S purists don't feel the same. In fact, although I won't try and pretend that it's the best album ever made, I would recommend it to anyone here who hasn't heard of B&S or isn't that familiar with them but would like to hear a brilliant and very musical pop record

You consider yourself to be European?? About the only person I've heard of who does !! Be proud of your nation !! I personally believe I'm English (from England) which is part of Great Britain !!

I consider myself European. Maybe not primarily, but certainly more in common than say USA.

And I consider myself British ahead of English. Family roots go back to Scotland and Ireland.

Above all I am Leicester... if Scotland were playing England and they had a couple of City players in the team and England didn't, I'd probably want them to win.

*ignites blue touch paper and stands well back*

Archived