Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Adebayo Akinfenwa.

I would hardly consider him a "proven Championship striker". He has played in that league, but hardly set it alight did he?

Like one of you said, what if Howard gets injured? Who else do you have as the work horse up front to supply Fryatt? Akinfenwa is excellent at this level, and what's to say he won't be at Championship level? Jason Scotland had never played in the Championship before, yet he is scoring for fun isn't he?

I'm struggling to see why you are all so against signing him after seeing him for 1 hour back in October. Besides he had a good game back then! Did a lot better than your strikers back then!

dont like the sound of investing in a nother striker as we have a fair few as it is. back up for the center backs is whats needed!

lildave wont be happy wwhen he see's the comments about how big steve is not as good as 'bayo'

I would hardly consider him a "proven Championship striker". He has played in that league, but hardly set it alight did he?

Like one of you said, what if Howard gets injured? Who else do you have as the work horse up front to supply Fryatt? Akinfenwa is excellent at this level, and what's to say he won't be at Championship level? Jason Scotland had never played in the Championship before, yet he is scoring for fun isn't he?

I'm struggling to see why you are all so against signing him after seeing him for 1 hour back in October. Besides he had a good game back then! Did a lot better than your strikers back then!

He finished the season as Derby County's top scorer with 19 goals, of which 16 came in the league and 3 in Cup competitions, two of which were vital goals in the Coca Cola Championship Play-off Semi-Final first leg against Southampton at the St. Mary's Stadium, giving Derby a 2–1 lead prior to the second leg at Pride Park. Howard was also nominated for the January 2007 Championship Player of the Month award and was awarded the Jack Stamps Trophy as Derby's Player Of The Season for 2006/07.

:whistle:

He finished the season as Derby County's top scorer with 19 goals, of which 16 came in the league and 3 in Cup competitions, two of which were vital goals in the Coca Cola Championship Play-off Semi-Final first leg against Southampton at the St. Mary's Stadium, giving Derby a 2–1 lead prior to the second leg at Pride Park. Howard was also nominated for the January 2007 Championship Player of the Month award and was awarded the Jack Stamps Trophy as Derby's Player Of The Season for 2006/07.

:whistle:

I remember "Leicester Legend" Ade Akinbiyi scoring 16 in a season with Wolves, finishing their top goal scorer. Do you consider him a great Championship player? Plus, look how Howard did the next season for Derby ;)

Seems pretty conclusive to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Howard.

[/quote

Howard is a supporter of Newcastle United and has been known to celebrate with his right arm aloft in the same fashion as Newcastle idol Alan Shearer. He fulfilled a life long ambition of playing at St James' Park when he played in the Derby side which drew 2-2 at Newcastle on December 23, 2007.

how do they know that ? :D

Shut your yapping. Jason Scotland lit the league alight for the Jacks, Akinfenwa was a donkey there as he's a donkey now! Scotland is fairly pacey, strong and a good finisher - Akinfenwa reminds me of a poor man's Mark de Vries. I was delighted when the Swans finally released him, he got about 10 goals in about 60 odd games.

And how the fuck is Steve Howard not a proven Championship striker? I don't like the player, truthfully, but he was vital to Derby's promotion season.

Shut your yapping. Jason Scotland lit the league alight for the Jacks, Akinfenwa was a donkey there as he's a donkey now! Scotland is fairly pacey, strong and a good finisher - Akinfenwa reminds me of a poor man's Mark de Vries. I was delighted when the Swans finally released him, he got about 10 goals in about 60 odd games.

And how the fuck is Steve Howard not a proven Championship striker? I don't like the player, truthfully, but he was vital to Derby's promotion season.

A donkey now? You clearly have not watched him this season, and know nothing about him now. Anyway I didn't come on here to argue, just to try and clear up a few things about Bayo and the rumour. I'll take my leave now, good luck for the season.

The fact is Bayo is a far superiour player to Howard. If Howard is good enough for your first team, then Bayo definalty is. Not only ican he score goals, but he also has a lot of assistes, and does a hell of a lot of donkey work up front.

If you don't want him, we will gladly keep hold of him :D

Is that a joke?

I remember "Leicester Legend" Ade Akinbiyi scoring 16 in a season with Wolves, finishing their top goal scorer. Do you consider him a great Championship player? Plus, look how Howard did the next season for Derby ;)

Can you say Akinfenwa scored at Old Trafford? No.

So he's finally found his level at Northampton? That's hardly inspiring.

I don't like to do this "bigger club than you" stuff, I really don't, but does it not strike you that a team hoping to push for a stable, mid-table spot in the Championship next season might be looking for someone better than Northampton Town's 9-goal striker?

If you're happy with his signing then good for you. But the man's never going to make it higher than this level. We don't want him, he'd be a terrible signing for us, you can keep him thanks.

I don't like to do this "bigger club than you" stuff, I really don't, but does it not strike you that a team hoping to push for a stable, mid-table spot in the Championship next season might be looking for someone better than Northampton Town's 9-goal striker?

If you're happy with his signing then good for you. But the man's never going to make it higher than this level. We don't want him, he'd be a terrible signing for us, you can keep him thanks.

I'm not the one suggesting this, and it's not really my place to comment on whether he will be a good signing for you. But at the end of the day, if Nigel Pearson IS interested in signing him, there is a reason why he wants him. And you can't really go by goals can you, else I can argue that Bayo is nearly twice as good as Howard because he has nearly half the goals. But obviosuly there is more than that.

Your points are irrelevant. You said he wasn't proven at championship level and we proved you wrong, now your throwing irrelevant things back at us. No one ever said akinbyi was proven at premiership level. No one stated that Howard is proven at premiership standard. Do you get my point? Thats like saying Northampton aern't proven at premiership level so there.

:frusty:

Looks like complete guesswork to me from some random Cobbler. Can't see there being anything in it at all. Akinfenwa is an excellent League One striker and will give Morrison and Hobbs a nightmare next week but I don't think he'd be a Championship player.

I think excellent is pushing it, good prehaps.

He's also one of these footballers that fail every other medical they have.

I actually do think we need a striker. What if Howard or Fryatt breaks down, then we are down to bare bones up front. Dickov is well past his expire date and should not be in the squad all together. And I don't think Ashley Chambers can come in and do the bizz for us consistently. Having said that, if that happens I'm sure Mr Pearson will use the emergency loan market.

I don't think Akinfenwa is the answer though. I don't want to tie this fella to a 3 year contract, only to find out he's completely out of his depth in the Championship. We already have Matty Fryatt for that. ;)

Your points are irrelevant. You said he wasn't proven at championship level and we proved you wrong, now your throwing irrelevant things back at us. No one ever said akinbyi was proven at premiership level. No one stated that Howard is proven at premiership standard. Do you get my point? Thats like saying Northampton aern't proven at premiership level so there.

:frusty:

He had one decent season for Derby, does that make him a proven Championship striker? If he is that good, why has he dropped down to League One?

He had one decent season for Derby, does that make him a proven Championship striker? If he is that good, why has he dropped down to League One?

I agree, I don't think Howard is Championship quality either. But to be honest, I'd still rather have him than Akinfenwa.

I agree, I don't think Howard is Championship quality either. But to be honest, I'd still rather have him than Akinfenwa.

He's a lot better than Akinfenwa, I don't even like Howard and I'll say that.

If we were still in the Championship I'd be going beserk that his name had been mentioned in the same sentance as our club.

Jesus christ, I give up. It's there in plain black and white and still you cant get it into your head. Just admit your wrong. I thought you were going anyway? Not here to argue? Well your doing a bloody good job of it. Ive had my say and refuse to waste any more time replying to your silly comments or Il be here all day.

I leave you with something to ponder, Zaki has had one decen season in the premiership. Does it make him premiership standard? Well it looks like it as clubs left right and centre from the top leagues want him.

I agree we need another striker, I've thought this all season, I still think it now.

But I don't think we need another target man. You don't need two Steve Howards at a football club. I want to see us signing a bit of pace up front, pace that can finish. I'm not after Linford Christie or even a finisher with the prowess of the great Louis Dodds. I'm not expecting Michael Owen, but there's got to be someone out there more capable than Deej.

Sums it up succintly enough for me. With a more mobile, and simply better, striker than the lump that is Akinfenwa then Northampton would have probably snuck a win against us at the Walkers. And I guess he's scored a few penalties within that 9 goal total too. He'd be appalling in the championship, no better than Barry Hayles.

Archived