Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Adebayo Akinfenwa.

A striker with confidence can make it in almost any league - would anyone had called Zaki of Wigan Premiership class before the start of the season? Then you have someone like Morientes who many would have thought could have done well in the Prem but went the opposite way.

Then look at Fryatt and Howard this season - they're both completely different players. Now if Pearson has looked at this lad, chances are he believe's he can improve him, and make a good partnership with Fryatt. Options help a manager, and at the moment we don't have that many, appart from the starting 11.

We're not out of this league yet either, so before worrying whether this guy can cut it at Championship level, worry about him making a impact in division 1 - because if he can there's no reason why he couldn't carry that to the Championship IF we get promoted.

I would choose Howard over him easily...Akinfenwa is nothing special.

I don't want to push the cause too much for Akinfenwa over Howard...there are various opinions given on this board..but the above rankle..How the jack fcuk do you know Akinfenwa is nothing special? You've seen (if you were at the Walkers that day) Bayo once I'd wager. Howard did erm..play for for the Cobblers! :frusty:

Wouldn't be the first name on my list but if NP thinks he can do a job then I'll trust that. Can't see how anyone wouldn't after his performance in the transfer market so far and seeing as most people have probably seen Adebayo play the most minmal amount of football to judge him on.

I didn't realise he was only 26 - he plays like (and has the injury record of) an old warhorse!

Seen him a few times. He wasn't fit when he joined the Cobblers in last year's January window, but still made an impact and has an instinct for goalscoring. I think he may have been injured pre-season or early on this year but I still didn't think he looked tremendously fit this year and he seems to miss a lot of games - probably played half the games this season so 9 goals from that is not too bad.

He is a big bloke - each thigh is about twice as wide as one Joe Mattock! His style is very much based on power, he is not averse to battering through people to get towards goal. In that sense, quite similar to how we use Howard.

Personally, I like him but would have said not good enough for the Championship - might have been a decent signing if Howard had gone in the summer and, if we have cash to spare, probably a more useful backup than Campbell, Hayles or even Dickov on current form. But if he sorted out his fitness and injuries with a good pre-season, he is still an age where he could improve. Let's face it, we are not going to attract top tier players even if we go up this season - our prospects are more than likely a hard season trying to stay in the Championship. In that sense, I would rather have a fighter like Akinfenwa looking to prove himself than someone dropping down for a last payday.

I'd like to see our fans put his name into a chant.

I suspect it will be easier if he turned out to be as crap as some are suggesting.

Archived