Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

What are you listening to?

23 hours ago, swanlee said:

I saw him in Brighton too, back in 2017. One of the strangest venues i've been in, no shite it was BYOB and held in Boy Scout Hut up a steep hill beyond Brighton train station. Not the weirdest venue mind, there's been a few churches and then a Sir Richard Bishop gig at an RAF Air Cadets hut. No shite, it was a nissan hut made of corrugated sheet metal and Sir Richard was sat in front of a massive anti-aircraft gun that was obviously used for training by the cadets. It made for some great photos though and it was a great gig. And Sir Richard's guitar playing to say the least is mesmerising to watch live.

And I was a massive Wooden Shjips fan. Their first few albums were rarely off the turntable.  But they kind of lost me a little with West and then I lost interest after Back To Land. But yes, seen them a few times live now. Also Moon Duo, never got round to buying any of their material but I've seen them live. I'd read that because the other members of Wooden Shjips couldn't commit to tour that often, Moon Duo was formed by front man Erik Johnson to fill a hole. Whatever, good nights out all. 

Acid Mothers Temple .... almost, almost got to a gig by them last year. Cannot remember why I didn't in the end but the next time they come around....... 

And Damo I see will be at the The Con Club in Lewes. A venue I know as I've seen the Sun Ra Arkestra there. Good news, it may be sold out, but if Damo is in Lewes it will mean that Damo will be doing other UK dates early next year.

Seriously laidback

Went to watch the new Miles Davis film, Birth of the Cool, this week.

Although Coltrane, Monk & Coleman feature significantly, ‘Kind of Blue’ has to one of my all time favourite pieces of music.

However, after watching a load o’ long haired white boys coin it in playing blues derived rock music. Bitches Brew, according to the film, was the album Davis composed to transcend jazz and access the cash rich white-boy rock market.

That cynical, but pure genius and genre defining. 

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Went to watch the new Miles Davis film, Birth of the Cool, this week.

Although Coltrane, Monk & Coleman feature significantly, ‘Kind of Blue’ has to one of my all time favourite pieces of music.

However, after watching a load o’ long haired white boys coin it in playing blues derived rock music. Bitches Brew, according to the film, was the album Davis composed to transcend jazz and access the cash rich white-boy rock market.

That cynical, but pure genius and genre defining. 

I must see this. Looks great 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

One of the great bands to emerge from the Midlands. With the late great Trish Keenan.

Too much music, not enough time.

Sadly one of those bands that were on my radar and a wishlist or two, but I never got around to giving 'em any serious attention. 

Love that stripped back DIY electronica sound - that's what I would have been looking for when I first came across them.

I didn't realise they were from the midlands though - might have to revisit solely on that basis. 

Thxs

• Like 2

Bought this a couple of months ago and it keeps being dropped on my turntable.

I struggle sometimes with this genre – dark ambient & drone – but this is not too abrasive & currently holding my attention.

It’s rhythmic, deeply textured & haunted. The whole album, from start to finish, is an immersive journey.

This is Track 2 of 4. Called Three Knocks, it’s a very apt soundtrack for Halloween.

• Like 1

On 31/10/2019 at 12:17, swanlee said:

I struggle sometimes with this genre – dark ambient & drone – but this is not too abrasive & currently holding my attention.

Know what you mean. Mate had a spare ticket for Sunn o))) at the Roundhouse on Monday and I still can't decide if the gig was a work of genius or a pile of sh*t.

23 hours ago, oakman said:

Know what you mean. Mate had a spare ticket for Sunn o))) at the Roundhouse on Monday and I still can't decide if the gig was a work of genius or a pile of sh*t.

Well done for sticking it out. I've tried giving Sun o))) a try. I end up just reaching for the paracetamol - guaranteed to bring on a headache.

Roundhouse is a great space though. And I've seen some top gigs there.