Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Libertine

What are you listening to?

15 hours ago, steveherbe said:

George Thorogood and the Destroyers. Why has it taken me 45 years to find these guys? Proper blues/rock like it should be.

Came across George Thorogood a good few years ago on a compilation album - real deep & dirty stuff. Also discovered this fella'  on the same box set: -  

Forgot I had it actually. I tend to skip around from genre-2-genre. I've dug it out now - I need to revisit - I reckon a young George listened to this stuff. 

Might have to dig out that guitar as well. It's somewhere in the attic I think. Tried to get Hound Dog's licks down back-in-the day but rarely did it sound so sweet n' gritty! 

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, swanlee said:

Came across George Thorogood a good few years ago on a compilation album - real deep & dirty stuff. Also discovered this fella'  on the same box set: -  

Forgot I had it actually. I tend to skip around from genre-2-genre. I've dug it out now - I need to revisit - I reckon a young George listened to this stuff. 

Might have to dig out that guitar as well. It's somewhere in the attic I think. Tried to get Hound Dog's licks down back-in-the day but rarely did it sound so sweet n' gritty! 

Yeah, George mentions Hound Dog at the start of The Sky is Crying track on the 30 Years album I've just bought. Will give that a proper listen at some stage, cheers mate

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oakman said:

Hound Dog was the man. Unfair advantage having 6 fingers as a guitarist though!

Most unfair! Not only did I lack six fingers, I fell short with regards digit dexterity as well.

Hound Dog is one of them. Howlin' Wolf is another, the booming voice and rhythm. And going back to source, Leadbelly sends shivers up me spine. But my fav Bluesman was Lightnin' Hopkins - first-rate finger-picking and some gritty n' foot-stomping drinking songs. One of the happier ones below ..... 

11 hours ago, swanlee said:

Came across George Thorogood a good few years ago on a compilation album - real deep & dirty stuff. 

Saw him with the Destroyers in 82 supporting the Stones. I recommend finding 'George Thorogood and the Destroyers', 'Move it On Over' and 'Bad to the Bone'. I still have all three on vinyl. - the first two are originals not re-issues on the Rounder label. Always maintained a close relationship with the Stones...through Ian Stewart and Waddy Watchel. Always wished he'd replaced Mick Taylor instead of Ronnie Wood. Sacrilege I know. 

Edited by Line-X
Spelling

5 hours ago, swanlee said:

Most unfair! Not only did I lack six fingers, I fell short with regards digit dexterity as well.

Hound Dog is one of them. Howlin' Wolf is another, the booming voice and rhythm. And going back to source, Leadbelly sends shivers up me spine. But my fav Bluesman was Lightnin' Hopkins - first-rate finger-picking and some gritty n' foot-stomping drinking songs. One of the happier ones below ..... 

Hopkins was an absolute legend. When it comes to the Blues, I’ve always leaned towards Chicago but there are some geniuses out there. Numerous great artists but CeDell Davis epitomises the Blues for me - wracked by Polio, re-teaches himself to play the guitar with a butter knife.👍

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Line-X said:

Saw him with the Destroyers in 82 supporting the Stones. I recommend finding 'George Thorogood and the Destroyers', 'Move it On Over' and 'Bad to the Bone'. I still have all three on vinyl. - the first two are originals not re-issues on the Rounder label. Always maintained a close relationship with the Stones...through Ian Stewart and Waddy Watchel. Always wished he'd replaced Mick Taylor instead of Ronnie Wood. Sacrilege I know. 

Now I am old enough to remember watching Lynex play (only just and even then vaguely), so in '82 there was no way me mother was letting me out alone after dark, let alone allowing me to attend to a rock n' roll concert. In fact I reckon most venues, if I turned up, would have called the police to come take me home. Must have been awesome though - Thorogood I've heard is a consummate showman and the Stones, is the Stones, is the Stones.....

I'm with you all the way with Ronnie W. Got the gig cos' he was a mate and he's stuck around since for the shite n' giggles and a bucketful of cash. While he is a very good musician, sideman & band member, you still feel it is the Jagger / Richards show. Who am I to say, they are after the biggest grossing act of all time. But after Jones's death, and the attempt to weave more purist blues into the DNA of the band with the hiring of Taylor. Woods is an uninspiring choice as it seems he has merely been a passenger? Don't know much about Watchel but maybe hiring someone with a bit more creativity, who could add another dimension to the songwriting, would have meant that the late 1970's & 1980's back catalogue would have been a lot stronger. Sacrilege I know and probably gonna' upset a lot of people that, but it's just a thought. History could have been different.         

Edited by swanlee

9 hours ago, swanlee said:

Now I am old enough to remember watching Lynex play (only just and even then vaguely), so in '82 there was no way me mother was letting me out alone after dark, let alone allowing me to attend to a rock n' roll concert. In fact I reckon most venues, if I turned up, would have called the police to come take me home. Must have been awesome though - Thorogood I've heard is a consummate showman and the Stones, is the Stones, is the Stones.....

I'm with you all the way with Ronnie W. Got the gig cos' he was a mate and he's stuck around since for the shite n' giggles and a bucketful of cash. While he is a very good musician, sideman & band member, you still feel it is the Jagger / Richards show. Who am I to say, they are after the biggest grossing act of all time. But after Jones's death, and the attempt to weave more purist blues into the DNA of the band with the hiring of Taylor. Woods is an uninspiring choice as it seems he has merely been a passenger? Don't know much about Watchel but maybe hiring someone with a bit more creativity, who could add another dimension to the songwriting, would have meant that the late 1970's & 1980's back catalogue would have been a lot stronger. Sacrilege I know and probably gonna' upset a lot of people that, but it's just a thought. History could have been different.         

Saw the Stones for the first time in Roundhay Park Leeds, before they became a pantomime parody of themselves and were still credible. Much rawer, but at the same time - this was the last show of the 81-82 World Tour and they were very tight, but loose (if that makes sense). Amongst many things, the Stones have always been oxymoronic and full of contradictions.

Were you aware that a broke Steve Marriott went for the job in 1975? He would have got it too, were it not for the fact that a vain and conceited Jagger felt that he had been upstaged in the audition. Black and Blue was the audition album. Both Harvey Mandel and Wayne Perkins were considered, (check out his solo on Hand of Fate), but as you say, Woody was already part of the posse and a natural choice and had even co-written 'It's Only Rock n' Roll'. His contributions in the studio have been great over the years but live, and particularly when he tries to reproduce the Taylor material are often cringeworthy. Great slide player though. Talking of which, George Thorogood would have been too bluesy, even for the Stones - and similarly,, Ry Cooder who I'm sure was considered at one point was too stylised. What I do love about Woody and Keef is "the mesh" - in which their guitar parts are so complimentary they are at times practically indistinguishable. Nonetheless, the Stones were at their absolute peak of their creative powers and artistic/cultural relevance between 1967 and 1972 during which time they were genuinely subversive and dangerous. The Taylor years 69-74 also marked the height of their musicianship. 

14 hours ago, Line-X said:

Were you aware that a broke Steve Marriott went for the job in 1975? 

I wasn’t aware of Marriott’s consideration. And as a Marriott era Small Faces fan, that certainly would have been an interesting experiment musically. It’s a concoction of personalities that potentially would be combustible though. And while I can imagine Jagger being vain and conceited, I mean he’s never come across as the down-to-earth, man-of the-people type. You can clearly see a clash of ego’s occurring with Marriott in the line-up. (Can you see Jagger happily dancin’ n’ shakin’ his maraca’s as he’s reduced to a Bez type side-show cos’ Marriott is insisting on singing his own material?).

It may seem churlish to some to be having this discussion. But Brian Jones’s Svengali like influence over the early Stones is well documented. And given what Taylor’s two predecessors in the Bluebreakers had achieved within a very short space of time after leaving that band. The recruitment of Taylor, on the advice no less of Mayall himself, seems a very considered, calculated & bold decision that was full of promise & potential.

And on that, I can’t go without a nod to this man. A good few years ago I stood in the Jazz Café in Camden and, along with many others, applauded this gent off the stage till me hands were sore. Tis’ a treasured & warming memory that collective benign act of ours…..

• Like 3

On 19/09/2019 at 21:01, Line-X said:

Saw the Stones for the first time in Roundhay Park Leeds, before they became a pantomime parody of themselves and were still credible. Much rawer, but at the same time - this was the last show of the 81-82 World Tour and they were very tight, but loose (if that makes sense). Amongst many things, the Stones have always been oxymoronic and full of contradictions.

Were you aware that a broke Steve Marriott went for the job in 1975? He would have got it too, were it not for the fact that a vain and conceited Jagger felt that he had been upstaged in the audition. Black and Blue was the audition album. Both Harvey Mandel and Wayne Perkins were considered, (check out his solo on Hand of Fate), but as you say, Woody was already part of the posse and a natural choice and had even co-written 'It's Only Rock n' Roll'. His contributions in the studio have been great over the years but live, and particularly when he tries to reproduce the Taylor material are often cringeworthy. Great slide player though. Talking of which, George Thorogood would have been too bluesy, even for the Stones - and similarly,, Ry Cooder who I'm sure was considered at one point was too stylised. What I do love about Woody and Keef is "the mesh" - in which their guitar parts are so complimentary they are at times practically indistinguishable. Nonetheless, the Stones were at their absolute peak of their creative powers and artistic/cultural relevance between 1967 and 1972 during which time they were genuinely subversive and dangerous. The Taylor years 69-74 also marked the height of their musicianship. 

Nailed it with your last paragraph 👍🏼