Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Flynny

Flynny's Mix

Get it here

Since I'm nice (a bit drunk) this'll make shit easier.

1. Aly Walk With Me - The Raveonettes - X/10

2. That Summer at Home I Had Become the Invisible Boy - The Twilight Sad - X/10

(3. The Loss Adjuster (excerpt 1)- Jarvis Cocker - X/10)

4. Wake Up - The Walkmen - X/10

5. 80's Life - The Good the Bad and the Queen - X/10

6. My Moon My Man - Feist - X/10

7. Cunts Are Still Running the World - Jarvis Cocker - X/10

(8. We Fight For Diamonds - Cut Copy - X/10)

9. Unforgettable Season - Cut Copy - X/10

10. Xxzucuzx Me - Crystal Castles - X/10

11. Lucid Dreams - Franz Ferdinand - X/10

(12. Parachutes - Coldplay - X/10)

13. Flume - Bon Iver - X/10

14. Transatlantique - Beirut - X/10

15. While You Wait for the Others - Grizzly Bear - X/10

16. Gagging Order - Radiohead - X/10

17. The Good the Bad and the Queen - The Good the Bad and the Queen - X/10

I'll paste this here ready for me, and edit it as I listen to the tracks. Early signs show I'm gonna like this a lot.

1. Aly Walk With Me - The Raveonettes - 8/10

I love this a song. Got a good rhythm. Kinda imagine myself driving along the highway on a summer's day listening to this.

2. That Summer at Home I Had Become the Invisible Boy - The Twilight Sad - 7/10

I got vibes of Morrissey listening to this. Nothing special, but not bad.

(3. The Loss Adjuster (excerpt 1)- Jarvis Cocker - X/10)

Very nice. I wont rate this.

4. Wake Up - The Walkmen - 7/10

It's a grower. Got a toe-tapping kinda ryhthm.

5. 80's Life - The Good the Bad and the Queen - 8/10

I got into this band last year. One of my favourites by them. Love Albarn's voice.

6. My Moon My Man - Feist - 8/10

Loved her since I heard 1,2,3,4. Great song.

7. ****s Are Still Running the World - Jarvis Cocker - 7/10

Another one I've heard before. Love the lyrics. Jarvis is a legend.

(8. We Fight For Diamonds - Cut Copy - X/10)

Obviously doesn't need rating :P

9. Unforgettable Season - Cut Copy - 8/10

Another great song. Very upbeat.

10. Xxzucuzx Me - Crystal Castles - 2/10

Deary me. :thumbdown: Not my bag at all I'm afraid.

11. Lucid Dreams - Franz Ferdinand - 7/10

Big fan of Franz. Love this song.

(12. Parachutes - Coldplay - X/10)

Beautiful little piece. Always a fan of Martin's voice.

13. Flume - Bon Iver - 4/10

Didn't do anything for me at all really.

14. Transatlantique - Beirut - 4/10

Again, it just did nothing for me.

15. While You Wait for the Others - Grizzly Bear - 6/10

It's catchy enough. A steady song.

16. Gagging Order - Radiohead - 9/10

I'm a massive Radiohead fan. Love this one.

17. The Good the Bad and the Queen - The Good the Bad and the Queen - 7/10

As said above, head these before. Like the song.

Overall Flynny a very good mixtape. 8.5/10.

Discovered a couple of songs I'll definatley be adding to my collection.

1. Aly Walk With Me - The Raveonettes - 8/10

Liking this. Cool geet and nice/weird vocals.

2. That Summer at Home I Had Become the Invisible Boy - The Twilight Sad - 7/10

Quite like this. Not as much as the previous one but still good.

(3. The Loss Adjuster (excerpt 1)- Jarvis Cocker - 7/10)

Yeh, erm. Nice enough for all one millisecond.

4. Wake Up - The Walkmen - 6/10

Alright. Music was decent but the vocals were too Bono-ish at times. Don't dislike it, just didn't grab me.

5. 80's Life - The Good the Bad and the Queen - 7/10

Liked this a fair bit. Don't know what else to say, cool song.

6. My Moon My Man - Feist - 6/10

Nice beat and vocals. Not usually my sort of thing I s'pose but enjoyed.

7. Cunts Are Still Running the World - Jarvis Cocker - 8/10

Really liked it. Love Jarvis in general and loved the lyrics and music.

(8. We Fight For Diamonds - Cut Copy - 7/10)

Good lead into the next track....

9. Unforgettable Season - Cut Copy - 7/10

Nice start. Good chorus. Decent instrumental bit.

10. Xxzucuzx Me - Crystal Castles - 4/10

Woah. Horrid but I actually quite like the 'vocals'.

11. Lucid Dreams - Franz Ferdinand - 5/10

Wasn't too ecstatic when I saw an eight minute Franz Ferdinand song here. The two and a bit minutes I listened to weren't terrible though.

(12. Parachutes - Coldplay - 6/10)

Yeh, fine I guess. A lot better than nowadays.

13. Flume - Bon Iver - 9/10

Loved this.

14. Transatlantique - Beirut - 7/10

Nice stuff, good vocals.

15. While You Wait for the Others - Grizzly Bear - 6/10

Didn't love it, but not bad at all.

16. Gagging Order - Radiohead - 10/10

YESSSSS. God I love this song. :D Have done since you sent me loads of 'Head b-sides a while back.

17. The Good the Bad and the Queen - The Good the Bad and the Queen - 8/10

Really good. Perfect ending too.

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

First glance at the track listing looks pretty decent to me, I'm expecting good things of this.

1. Aly Walk With Me - The Raveonettes - 6/10

Can't complain about this one, nice little eerie sounds with the female singer to match it. Nothing too spectacular to kick it all off, but decent enough nonetheless.

2. That Summer at Home I Had Become the Invisible Boy - The Twilight Sad - 6/10

I've heard a bit about these before (from Mark quite possibly?) and didn't like them very much at all last time. They're kind of a diluted version of Glasvegas. It's all a bit dreary for me, but it's listenable. Sounds better than the stuff I listened to a while back of theirs anyway. This track grew on me as it went on...

(3. The Loss Adjuster (excerpt 1)- Jarvis Cocker)

Loved him from the Pulp days, reminded me to have a look at some of his solo work.

4. Wake Up - The Walkmen - 6/10

Another group I'm a bit familiar with already, what I've heard so far I've enjoyed thoroughly. I've previously listened to The North Pole and In The New Year, and honestly I found those two tracks a little better than this one. That's not to say I disliked it though, it's just that the previous stuff I've heard had set the bar pretty high.

5. 80's Life - The Good the Bad and the Queen - 5/10

Not too sure what to say about this one really. Not too bad, a little repetetive and monotonous for my liking though.

6. My Moon My Man - Feist - 6.5/10

Already own a couple of Feist tracks, I've developed a bit more taste for the female vocalist in recent months. Is she the one from Broken Social Scene? This one's staying in the collection, and I'll hopefully be bothered to get hold of an album possibly.

7. ****s Are Still Running the World - Jarvis Cocker - 7.5/10

As mentioned before, I can't help but like the man, not least for the classic Michael Jackson demonstration. Note to self: must get albums.

(8. We Fight For Diamonds - Cut Copy)

I've got this album (In Ghost Colours), but haven't properly listened to it yet. Nice little interlude.

Only listened to this one once on my own itunes, so gives me the kick up the arse to get through the whole album at some point soon.

10. Xxzucuzx Me - Crystal Castles - 3/10

An acquired taste yes? lol Heard a little bit of Crystal Castles before, got Bitter Hearts and Vanished which are both pretty decent, but I wasn't a fan of this one. My mix is pretty electro orientated, but this 'aint my cup of tea I'm afraid.

11. Lucid Dreams - Franz Ferdinand - 8/10

Already got this, but I'll rate it anyway. It's difficult not to like Franz Ferdinand for me, especially when they roll out songs like this. Must admit it's one of my favourite tracks by them actually, the latest album's good. Oh, and the middle section (once you get there obviously) to this song is sexy as.

(12. Parachutes - Coldplay)

Always been a bit indifferent towards Coldplay. They're alright and they'll produce some brilliant tracks every now and again, but it's not really consistent with them. They've normally got too many "fillers" on their albums for my liking.

13. Flume - Bon Iver - 8/10

Already got this one too, but I don't mind. It's a good little album to revise to, and this is actually my favourite track off of it. I didn't particularly think much of Bon Iver when I first heard them a while back, but they've grown on me considerably since.

14. Transatlantique - Beirut - 4/10

Didn't really do a great deal for me to be honest.

15. While You Wait for the Others - Grizzly Bear - 7/10

Literally heard about these last week, nabbed a couple of tracks off of their new album. They haven't really given me the wow factor with anything I've heard yet, but this one's probably the best of an otherwise average bunch. I may venture further and get the whole thing if I can't think of anything else one day.

16. Gagging Order - Radiohead - 8/10

Yes, love it. I like Radiohead anyway, but acoustic Radiohead is even better.

17. The Good the Bad and the Queen - The Good the Bad and the Queen - 6/10

This one's better than their other song on here anyway. Didn't even know Albarn was involved in another group besides Blur and Gorillaz actually, so at least I've learnt something new anyway. Average tune here, don't think I'll be looking any further into them to be honest.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overall Flynny, not bad at all. It's a shame that the tracks I liked best were ones I already possessed, but ah well. There are still a number of tracks I'll take off of here and stumble across one day pleasantly surprised. I still listen to Two Headed Boy from your last mix, so I do take interest of other people's mixes afterwards!

I've got this album (In Ghost Colours), but haven't properly listened to it yet. Nice little interlude.

Only listened to this one once on my own itunes, so gives me the kick up the arse to get through the whole album at some point soon.

Sort it out.

1. Aly Walk With Me - The Raveonettes - 7/10

Decent start, quite shoegazy which is good.

2. That Summer at Home I Had Become the Invisible Boy - The Twilight Sad - 10/10

Already love the band, already love the song. :P Those that enjoyed it check out their album you won't regret it!

4. Wake Up - The Walkmen - 5/10

It was alright just didn't do much for me

5. 80's Life - The Good the Bad and the Queen - 4/10

Never been keen on Damon Albarn so wasn't really going to like that!

6. My Moon My Man - Feist - 5/10

Hmm, it's good for what it is, not my thing really. She was better in Broken Social Scene ;)

7. ****s Are Still Running the World - Jarvis Cocker - 5/10

Ah not bad just not what I'd listen, as you can tell it takes alot to impress me! Pulp stuffs better.

9. Unforgettable Season - Cut Copy - 6/10

Alright

10. Xxzucuzx Me - Crystal Castles - 8/10

Another one I know, one of my favourite songs by them actually.

11. Lucid Dreams - Franz Ferdinand - 1/10

Ok I really dislike this band. Nothing will change my mind, I just don't like it!!

(12. Parachutes - Coldplay - 4/10)

As above minus The Scientist :P

13. Flume - Bon Iver - 7/10

Have heard before when I gave him a go a while back and couldn't really get into it, one of the better tracks though!

14. Transatlantique - Beirut - 5/10

I do like some of this guys stuff but wasn't overly keen on this one.

15. While You Wait for the Others - Grizzly Bear - 3/10

Didn't like that one

16. Gagging Order - Radiohead - 7/10

Nice song.

17. The Good the Bad and the Queen - The Good the Bad and the Queen - 6/10

See 5 haha, last 3 minutes were alright to end on.

Aly, Walk With Me

Solid, you can't go too much wrong with the Raveonettes. This is "skulking around town in a bad mood imagining you're in a music video" music. Another classic of the genre being Sisters of Mercy's This Corrosion. It helps that Sharin Foo would get it, to be honest. Blanket, static noise is always entertaining, I'll keep this. 8/10.

That Summer...

I was sat there with my head craned waiting for it to come to life. I figured if Mark's a fan it would have some dramatic crescendo in it somewhere and that solid one-tone beat was sort of a give away (though coming from a Radiohead fan I figured it'd be a favourite of yours even if it WAS monotone the whole way through :whistle:)

Solid, again. 7.

The Loss Adjuster

You pretentious arse. lol

Wake Up

I'm sorry, I really didn't enjoy his voice at all. The beat may have made it something I'd listen to, mood depending, but I skipped through bits of it. His voice just hits something in me. 5/10.

80's Life

I kinda like these mix tapes because I'll typically listen to any genre of music as long as it's quality music. People only put music on here that they're trying to impress with which helps and I tend to enjoy most of it. Musically this was really nicely put together, tight and well produced - different. I think it might be an artist I'd appreciate more if you found something a little less bland? 6/10.

My Moon My Man

I danced like a sexual predator to this. In my boxer shorts. I'll let you sit and visualize now. Leslie Feist would also get it, mind, which is possibly why. 9/10

Cunts Are Still...

I presume you put this one in in honour of David Cameron's iminent rise to power? I was really enjoying the intro, as much as I adore Jarvis Cocker and Pulp I actually think this would have made an awesome instrumental. The lyrics did make me grin, though and the climactic ending was brilliant. 8/10

We Fight For Diamonds & Unforgettable Season

Another one I was kind of disappointed when the voice kicked in. Doubly so because it reminded me of Johnny Borrell. God I hate Johnny Borrell. Musically solid, though, I can understand why you enjoy it. Just not really my sort of thing - unfair to rate it really because it sounds like it deserves a higher mark if it's your sort of thing but to be me it came across as bland compared to the intro. 6.

Xxzucuzx Me

Was really looking forward to this. Joe and Granno's reviews made me know I'd adore it. Absolutely brilliant. I do not suggest either Joe or Granno get into the Atari Teenage Riot. Flynny, I'm guessing, already loves them. This is awesome. It sounds like the forementioned impregnating Kathleen Hanna. Brrrrrrilliant. 10/10

Lucid Dreams

One thing I've noticed throughout this is that it's really well put together. You clearly sat down and considered your orderng and, besides what I think about the songs individually, it's been a really good mix. Exception here, I think, something stronger should have followed Crystal Castles. I did enjoy the outro but I think if it was a stand-along song by any electronica band no-one would know it and it wouldn't get a lot of playtime. It would be another middle-of-the-road, YouTube, home-made track. Sorry, Flynny, not for me at all. Won't rate, unfair.

Parachutes

Cute, but spoiled by Chris Martin. He epitomizes smug, pretentious, self-satisfaction for me. I bet if he could suck his own willy he'd do so whilst moaning his own name.

Flume

I liked this a lot, very melodic and pleasant. I'll most certainly listen to this again. I very, very nearly bought For Emma... with a gift voucher I got for my birthday but I passed it off for a couple of t-shirts instead. I'll have to go poking around torrentz and pick the poor bloke's pocket instead, I'm poor. 8/10

Transatlantique

Meandered a bit lyrically but not bad to be fair. I'd listen again but not as eagerly as Bon Iver. The music interludes did make me wonder if I'd prefer some of their other stuff, though, so I'll have an explore if you can recommend a couple of varied different tracks by the same group. 7.

While You Wait...

Bit concerned when it started but it picked up nicely. Made me grin a little in places in ways similar to the Spree, probably the en-masse backing vocals. 7.

Gagging Order

Aaalriiight, here we go then. Haha! No, to be fair, I thought it was really pretty. Naturally I whinced the second he opened his mouth but I loved the guitar. I do feel that my previous comment about being monotone has been slightly vindicated though. =P Jokes aside it was nice and I'd not turn it off if someone else was enjoying it. 6.5

The Good, The Bad...

Neat. Seemed a little bit like the first few minutes were just there so the outro had a purpose. Was this the last song on whatever album it's on? It's a fabulous ending, really enjoyed it. I kinda want to imagine it came together as one big jamming session and that they've never played it the same twice but the cynic in me tells me to stop being a moron. Great though, really rousing. Almost as good as the Turbonegro song I put on the last one. ;) 9.

Pretty mixed bag over all. There was always, inevtiably, going to be stuff I didn't like as I don't think there's massive similarity in our music taste but I think we're both quite wanky and pretentious about the fact we've an eclectic joy for music. Certainly there's some overlaps in our likes and I think a few spilled through on here. I did enjoy and it certainly wasn't a chore to review and will, probably, be in my top three come the end of this if I'm to make a few prejudices about the other people involved!

I can cope with the pretentious wankery, the over-analysis, the division into sections (?!) and even at a stretch the inclusion of bloody interludes... when the music is as good as this.

1. Good solid start. It reminds me of something but I can't think what (trying to go back to add more than three words but the review of track 14 will give some pointers as to why it probably wasn't worth it)

2. I recommended The Twilight Sad to Mark yonks ago but it was just because my mate had recommended them to me and it sounded like his thing. I confess I never listen to them but I should do really if it's all as good as that track. Fantastic.

3. You silly sausage.

4. Love this. A band that has popped up a lot in the past but never looked into them heavily, think I have an album downloaded that I've never listened to. More fool me. This is really great.

5. Not my bag. Such a distinctive voice and unfortunately it reminds me of embarrassing song titles, crap lyrics and run-of-the-mill indie from the 90s. I did like Blur at the time, but then I was 11. This isn't really doing anything for me.

6. Oompah oompah oompah oompah. One of my best mates loves these and insisted I listened to one of their albums at some point in the dim and distant past. This is *cliché alert* "catchy". Anyone who doesn't enjoy this in some small way either probably isn't much fun or is Mark. It's fun, let's face it.

7. See #5.

8 & 9. Cut Copy are pretty much the only band I have been listening to for the past month or two. I never gave In Ghost Colours a proper go at the time. The more I listen to it, the more I love it. It's funny reading Finners' review because I've always thought he sounds like Johnny Borrell on this one too and always thought anyone just hearing this must have a bizarre view of them. In the context of the album, it's a great pop song. It's probably one of my favourite albums ever. I can listen to it over and over again and never get bored of any single song. Without wanting to sound like a twat, I wouldn't pick this song off there if I had to pick one but I hate it when people say stuff like that so ignore me... Also, "Unforgettable Season", a fitting title methinks.

10. ****ing hell someone's put Petrol's mix on downstairs at top volume and it's drowning out whatever was on before.

11. See #5 and #7 to a certain extent, but read 2000s instead of 90s. I actually went to see Franz Ferdinand at DMH while at uni and they were good. One album was enough though, can't be bothered with them now.

12. Check me out, reviewing an interlude. Reminds me of being on holiday in Scotland, walking along the beach, the innocence and naivety of youth, eh? We didn't realise we weren't allowed to like Coldplay in those days........ whatever anyone says, I still love their first album.

13. Not really enough happening here for my liking. Sorry Mojo/Uncut etc.

14. Nice percussion. My Dad's brought me back some 12% beer from Belgium. I'm losing the will to try to write in depth about music at the first time of listening to it, to someone who really loves it, probably being incredibly annoying in the process

15. I like it a lot.

16. I don't like it.

17. ****ing Albarn again.

I hope that's sufficient. These things are difficult to do. The main thing is that good music is being shared. Will listen to lots of it again, so many thanks as always. I still listen to a lot of your last mix too.

These things are so funny. I just get addicted to improving my own instead of actually reviewing anyone else's. Every time I start, I just go back to mine within three songs. lol

I'm definitely going to do this one tonight, I promise.

I did exactly the same instead of listening to Finners', I spent literally hours listening to mine over and over and swapping bits out and removing songs.

Incidentally, "I know it's Gonna Happen Someday" and "No Distance Left to Run" by Morrissey and Blur just missed out on mine cos I couldn't get them in without making the last bit too long.

Finners - I think monotony is just a product of whether you 'dig' what's happening or not, right? If you don't like it it's monotonous, if you do like it it's 'exploring' or 'tension' or whatever. The final track is relatively monotonous but it's loud and flashy and attention grabbing (and amazing) and I don't think the Radiohead track is any more or less monotonous than most of your tape, but there's probably plenty of other reasons you have not to like it so it's length and lack of a change-up make it seem so.

I don't know how well that paragraph reads, ah well. Glad you liked the last track, I tend to start with a final track and plan the rest from there, which worked well enough for me last time. :)

EDIT: Cheers Fez :thumbup:. I hope you skipped past the lyrics in the last one, they stop after about 2-3 minutes.

Don't mind me, it's just Thom Yorke.

Two things infuriate me about Radiohead more than any other band:

1. Their fans are typically some of the most pretentious tits on the planet that think that Radiohead are on som sort of divine level of cultural brilliance and that everyone who appreciates them is some sort of conoseur of true musical culture. Bollocks!

2. By all rights some of their music is actually brilliant - it's just devastated by such a turgid voice. I've tried so hard to like some of their songs but everything about Thom Yorke grates with me, I can't explain it.

I am sorry if it comes across as hostile - I enjoyed nearly all of your mix, sincerely. Just. Ugh. It's an unwavering prejudice I can't escape - similar I suppose in ways to a couple of people on here's reactions to Vin Garbutt. lol

Don't mind me, it's just Thom Yorke.

Two things infuriate me about Radiohead more than any other band:

1. Their fans are typically some of the most pretentious tits on the planet that think that Radiohead are on som sort of divine level of cultural brilliance and that everyone who appreciates them is some sort of conoseur of true musical culture. Bollocks!

2. By all rights some of their music is actually brilliant - it's just devastated by such a turgid voice. I've tried so hard to like some of their songs but everything about Thom Yorke grates with me, I can't explain it.

I am sorry if it comes across as hostile - I enjoyed nearly all of your mix, sincerely. Just. Ugh. It's an unwavering prejudice I can't escape - similar I suppose in ways to a couple of people on here's reactions to Vin Garbutt. lol

I understand completely, it's a marmite voice. I was really weirded out the other day when my mate said "I hate Radiohead but he has got a good voice". Not how it normally works.

Aly Walk With Me - The Raveonettes

Turned the volume up for this one. That's a tasty beat and nice driving bass line. Good distorted guitars. Sounds a bit like Massive Attack, I actually really, really like this tune. Tell me more, Flynny... 8

That Summer at Home I Had Become the Invisible Boy - The Twilight Sad

With the prominent percussion at the start this follows on well from the last one. It's a fairly original sound, I like the soaring guitar, gives it a bit of an epic feel. This started at a 6 but It's growing on me. 7

(The Loss Adjuster (excerpt 1)- Jarvis Cocker)

Whatever. -

Wake Up - The Walkmen

So far, as far as this sort of stuff goes, Flynny has nailed down my taste pretty nicely. I rarely venture into the land of bands and guitars but when I do this is the sort of thing I hope I hear. I have a feeling you're a fan of big percussion. Good man, so am I. Love the piano as well. 7

80's Life - The Good the Bad and the Queen

I can just about tolerate Damon Albarn but I really don't like this song. It's quirky but there's no depth to it. 4

My Moon My Man - Feist

Hello there. The best way to James' heart is not through his stomach, it's through a woman singing. This is a cool song. Never heard of these. Great, funky little bass line, good drums (again) and a girl on vocals. Nice. 7

****s Are Still Running the World - Jarvis Cocker

Fucking students. Decent song though, just never been a huge fan of the guy. 6

(We Fight For Diamonds - Cut Copy)

Fair enough. -

Unforgettable Season - Cut Copy

I'm determined to like Cut Copy. At the minute it just doesn't do it for me though. Can't put my finger on it but I guess they just sound a bit generic. It's a good song though, but nothing more at the minute. 6

Xxzucuzx Me - Crystal Castles

Yeah I have a bit of stuff by CC. The Shoreditch masses will be gurning their faces off to this, no doubt. Personally it's a bit TOO brash, I have similar stuff that I'd rather listen to. 5

Lucid Dreams - Franz Ferdinand

This just sounds like at any moment it's just going to break into that famous song they wrote, you know the one. Not for me I'm afraid. I find it a bit boring. 4

(Parachutes - Coldplay)

Pleasant. -

Flume - Bon Iver

It pains me to admit it but that interlude did work pretty well. Fair play. This is decent as well. Flows well, nicely chilled. I can just picture certain moments when this track would sound absolutely perfect. Wouldn't mind hearing some more... 8

Transatlantique - Beirut

This guys voice does my head in and unfortunately it's the most prominent part of the start of the track. Shame really, the backing sounds ok. Extra point for the trumpet though, it does improve as it goes along. 6

While You Wait for the Others - Grizzly Bear

Another song/band that I wouldn't have heard had I not downloaded this so yeah I'm pleased from that respect. But then I'm not completely taken by the tune. It's ok. 6

Gagging Order - Radiohead

I'm writing this after the first 10 seconds. I know I'm going to love this tune. I love Radiohead. I love this tune. 8

The Good the Bad and the Queen - The Good the Bad and the Queen

Yeah it's Damon again. See my first comment. Bit better this time but just not my thing. 5

==========

You've clearly put a lot of thought into this. It shows. There's no need to explain how it's structured like you've done in your first post, just let people listen and work it out for themselves, it's more satisfying that way. I really enjoyed this though, particularly the first part. For me to say this should surprise you as much as it has me. I'll be digging deeper into quite a bit more, and it's also reminded me of how much time I still have for Radiohead. Thank you.

Overall 8/10.

1. Aly Walk With Me - The Raveonettes

I’ve never been able to warm to the Raveonettes, and this was no different. The noisy bits are a bit of nuisance in my current mood. It’s listenable but for those drone-y passages.

2. That Summer at Home I Had Become the Invisible Boy - The Twilight Sad

Bit different, but I’m not really convinced here either. I like the song composition, but it needed a bit more variation during the crescendo and in the melody. I guess if I’m in a bit of a downer mood, I’d love this.

(3. The Loss Adjuster (excerpt 1)- Jarvis Cocker)

…

4. Wake Up - The Walkmen

Extremely simplistic, good beat and even though I’d need to get used to the lyrics, it has some promise. Not exactly what I’d normally listen to, but it’s not bad.

5. 80's Life - The Good the Bad and the Queen

How cheesy is that melody! No, didn’t do a thing for me.

6. My Moon My Man - Feist

You don’t want any complicated music, do you (see #4) :P This is the best of the bunch so far though. Like the vocals, and the melody is a bit more engaging even though it sounds like a 5-year old beginner on the piano. Ending is silly though…

7. ****s Are Still Running the World - Jarvis Cocker

Don’t care much for the synth sounds. Again very basic beat (with the piano playing on the beat again) which is getting a bit tedious already. My cynical mind tells me this song was made this simple on purpose to appeal to the working class… Just as much as it could be mocking the whole concept of ‘working class’ music. It’s not a list that will end up on my playlist anyway.

Short, but I like it a lot… looking forward to the next song.

9. Unforgettable Season - Cut Copy

I was expecting something else when this started. Vocals are a bit of a let down. Quite an uplifting tune. Like the ‘muted’ bass line and the ending, but I didn’t care all too much for the middle part. Expected more to be honest :(

10. Xxzucuzx Me - Crystal Castles

The vocals are a bit too much, but I think the rest is great! Just had to adjust as it was a bit of an abrupt start and end.

11. Lucid Dreams - Franz Ferdinand

The first part of this song was what I’d expect of FF, not bad but nothing that’d make me jump out of my seat. Second part is a completely different thing, it’s almost Trentemøller-ish. I’m guessing you put that song on this because of it. Liked it.

(12. Parachutes - Coldplay)

He sings out of tune. Tired of Chris Martin anyway, but nice a nice guitar

13. Flume - Bon Iver

The sound quality is a bit poor, whether that’s down to the rip or poor mixing/recording I don’t know. Soothing song, very easy listening. It’s not bad, but a bit short. Could make it onto my playlist.

14. Transatlantique - Beirut

Have it, but think he has made better songs than this one.

15. While You Wait for the Others - Grizzly Bear

Good start, but didn’t really amount to much in the end. Vocals reminded me a bit of the Fleet Foxes, but it got a bit much at the end. A bit different, which I think was needed.

16. Gagging Order - Radiohead

Like it, and even though Yorke’s voice is for people with an acquired taste, it’s not as bad in this song as usual.

17. The Good the Bad and the Queen - The Good the Bad and the Queen

Good energy, but it didn’t offer much else for me.

-----------------------

I felt a bit bad doing this review, because your effort was well mixed and there weren’t any terrible songs on there (with the possible exception of 80s life). But there was equally not much to shout about either from my point of view. Too many simple songs just made it a bit uninteresting. The few that showed some promise fell a bit short in the end. I also felt a bit let down by Cut Copy, after I heard the ‘interlude’. Maybe you or Fez could point me towards other efforts that resemble the interlude a bit more?

Thanks for the effort though, and you did a good job mixing this. Just not my cup of tea really :thumbup:

I also felt a bit let down by Cut Copy, after I heard the ‘interlude’. Maybe you or Fez could point me towards other efforts that resemble the interlude a bit more?

I would say the only other song on the album that sounds a bit like that is Eternity For One Night Only, but really those interludes on that album are only used in the same way that Flynny has, to build up to a "proper song" and there aren't many tracks that are similar to that.

I also think they specialise a bit in outros. The endings to Out There On The Ice, So Haunted and Hearts On Fire are all brilliant.

Archived