Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Doctor

best bands/solo artist of each decade

60s.

Beatles, Beach Boys, Dylan, Hendrix, Stones...

70s.

Pink Floyd, Bowie, Zeppelin, Nick Drake, Neil Young, Lou Reed, Bob Marley, Queen...

80s.

Michael Jackson, The Cure, The Smiths, Joy Division, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Guns N Roses, Metallica, Sonic Youth...

90s.

Manic Street Preachers, Foo Fighters, Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Pixies, Nirvana, My Bloody Valentine, Green Day, RHCP, Dr. Dre, Oasis, Blur, Elliott Smith, Jeff Buckley, Nine Inch Nails, Eminem, RATM...

00s.

Muse, Buckethead, Arcade Fire, QOTSA... Could do a fair few more probably, but screw it.

lol At 90s kid. Guess some of them wouldn't really 'count'. But they're all either important to me or influenced a lot of others.

The Defence would like to call: Mudhoney

Mudhoney?

Yes, your Honour. A little known beat combo from the Grunge-era who encapsulated everything wrong with giving guitars and 'The Little Book of Three Chords' to angry, young teens.

Call Mudhoney...

Grunge didn't prevent the emergence of The Backstreet Boys or Jennifer Love Hewitt. I'd have said the (UK) "mainstream music scene" was more impacted upon by the transformation from Alternative to Indie and the pop-nature of many songs then coming through - coupled with a revival of punk.

indeed not

60s - The Beatles, The Kinks, The Who, Hermans Hermits

70s - Queen, David Bowie,

80s - Queen, David Bowie (Ok, early 80's more than late), Duran Duran, Madness

90s - Blur, Madness, Oasis (some of their tracks, sometimes they get on my nerves)

00s - :dunno: Enjoy Pixie Lott, Katy Perry and Lily Allen

Not really sure about 00's. Not many 'great' artists about - not as good as they used to be anyway. I mean, you look at 'Help!' by The Beatles, 'All Day and All Of The Night' by The Kinks, 'I Can See For Miles', 'No Milk Today' by the Hermans Hermits and 'Killer Queen'.

Classics. Long live 60's, 70's and 80's!

Music of the 00's get on my nerves. Ok, Madness still produce music which I tend to love, and even Pixie Lott, Lily Allen and a bit of Katy Perry is great and sometimes Kasabian. But, music nowadays tends to get on my nerves more than The Beatles and The Kinks for example (and all listed above really from 60's to 80's). I mean, Oasis are ok in spells but otherwise get on my nerves and some more artists too.

And, I am not even going to mention Kings of bloody Leon and that. Jees.

lol

Are you 12?

90s.

Weezer, .

lol

Weezer?

Seriously?

Fucking ace.

Madness aren't a nineties band. They were on hiatus for most of that decade weren't they? lol

I know they broke up but they started getting back together around 1991 didn't they. Madness re-released 'It Must Be Love' and it reached #6 in Feb 1992, so don't they count as 90's then?

And, in 1999, they released the album Wonderful, which included the hits Lovestruck and Johnny the Horse so, I am not sure if they do/don't count then.

I know they broke up but they started getting back together around 1991 didn't they. Madness re-released 'It Must Be Love' and it reached #6 in Feb 1992, so don't they count as 90's then?

And, in 1999, they released the album Wonderful, which included the hits Lovestruck and Johnny the Horse so, I am not sure if they do/don't count then.

Still, they certainly weren't at their peak in the nineties. I think most would recognise them as an eighties band, when they produced their best stuff.

Music of the 00's get on my nerves. Ok, Madness still produce music which I tend to love, and even Pixie Lott, Lily Allen and a bit of Katy Perry is great and sometimes Kasabian. But, music nowadays tends to get on my nerves more than The Beatles and The Kinks for example (and all listed above really from 60's to 80's). I mean, Oasis are ok in spells but otherwise get on my nerves and some more artists too.

And, I am not even going to mention Kings of bloody Leon and that. Jees.

can i ask where you listen to music - cause this thing were on just now, you know, *speaks very slowly* 'the internet'.... there are a lot of great bands around these days, bands, like back in the 60s, recording in their own homes, and just releasing music on their own, online ( see my sig, for example)...

and if you like 60s music, check out The Explorers Club for example...

or if you can't get beyond foxes talk, take a look at this thread: http://www.foxestalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=43102

well, at best you've proved they were active in the 90s, but if you believe that that output (a reissue, and an album no one has heard of) should warrant a 'best band of the 90s' credit, you really do have a problem.... :giggle:

Still, they certainly weren't at their peak in the nineties. I think most would recognise them as an eighties band, when they produced their best stuff.

Yes they were more active in the 80's when their best stuff was around and I perhaps shouldn't have put them down as 90's, but they were still around in the 90's and that's why I put them there - just like I did Queen on different years.

well, at best you've proved they were active in the 90s, but if you believe that that output (a reissue, and an album no one has heard of) should warrant a 'best band of the 90s' credit, you really do have a problem.... :giggle:

We have that album.

Haven't seen Michael Jackson anywhere on these lists :| .

Would have put him as one of the best for 80's and early 90's.

I would have but didn't know what year, and would have ended up getting critised like I have Madness.

Yes they were more active in the 80's when their best stuff was around and I perhaps shouldn't have put them down as 90's, but they were still around in the 90's and that's why I put them there - just like I did Queen on different years.

We have that album.

my mistake.... "An album that one person has heard of" :thumbup:

60s.

Beatles, Beach Boys, Dylan, Hendrix, Stones...

70s.

Pink Floyd, Bowie, Zeppelin, Nick Drake, Neil Young, Lou Reed, Bob Marley, Queen...

80s.

Michael Jackson, The Cure, The Smiths, Joy Division, The Jesus & Mary Chain, Guns N Roses, Metallica, Sonic Youth...

90s.

Manic Street Preachers, Foo Fighters, Weezer, Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Pixies, Nirvana, My Bloody Valentine, Green Day, RHCP, Dr. Dre, Oasis, Blur, Elliott Smith, Jeff Buckley, Nine Inch Nails, Eminem, RATM...

00s.

Muse, Buckethead, Arcade Fire, QOTSA... Could do a fair few more probably, but screw it.

lol At 90s kid. Guess some of them wouldn't really 'count'. But they're all either important to me or influenced a lot of others.

This was exactly what was I was writing, couldn't agree more......... I wanted to stick (bizarrely) James Taylor, Otis Redding, De La Soul and Dire Straits in there too because whether you like it or not it's sort of necessary (and take out Dr Dre - preferably by hanging, although perhaps I have to acknowledge his unfortunate and unhelpful influence on youth and music culture) but basically above is my entire base-line music collection ........ although there was one difference:

The 00's - Something has happened to me. Basically I have become very OLD. As I just, 'for the life of me' can't think of anybody in the OO's that has been a massive influence that hasn't already been mentioned in the previous decades. I have albums from every one of the above bands excluding the 00's. Now I buy cardigans, audiobooks and listen to Radio 4. I'm nearly dead.

N.

No, you are right, as far as music goes this decade has been largely irrelevant. There have been no massive influences on genre and there are no bands that people will say 'I was around for them'

In fact the most memorable music event of this decade with people saying 'I was there' in years and years has probably been the Led Zep reunion gig.

Money has ruined music.

No, you are right, as far as music goes this decade has been largely irrelevant. There have been no massive influences on genre and there are no bands that people will say 'I was around for them'

In fact the most memorable music event of this decade with people saying 'I was there' in years and years has probably been the Led Zep reunion gig.

Money has ruined music.

Well I saw Pink Floyd do the G8 gig, I have a few Killers and Kasabian albums, I've got some of the Damion Rice esq Jack Johnson fluffy stuff but none of it is ground breaking.

Although I did have dream one night about being locked in a room with Daniel Beddingfield in a fight to the death 'two men enter, one man leaves' scenario. This would on any other occasion be a wonderful scenario, a dream to enjoy..... yet sadly, as dreams often do, it did not go this way....

I couldn't bring myself to kill him. I couldn't finish him off. He kept coming at me knowing he had to save himself and attack me but I just kept putting him back down on his ass. I started to get tired but couldn't risk sleeping in case he took me out. So basically I stayed awake, kicking him, tripping him over, bruising him like a playground fight - kicking him in the chest while he was on the floor, so I got to rest longer as he struggled to get back up to his feet.

This went on for hours.

I bullied Daniel Beddingfield for hours.

I was shattered when I woke up, felt sick with guilt as dreams often can leave you.

I'm not sure if the guilt was the violence or the fact I had an opportunity to really have an impact on music culture in the 00's and didn't deliver.

I'd like to apologise for this.

Thanks.

This was exactly what was I was writing, couldn't agree more......... I wanted to stick (bizarrely) James Taylor, Otis Redding, De La Soul and Dire Straits in there too because whether you like it or not it's sort of necessary (and take out Dr Dre - preferably by hanging, although perhaps I have to acknowledge his unfortunate and unhelpful influence on youth and music culture) but basically above is my entire base-line music collection ........ although there was one difference:

The 00's - Something has happened to me. Basically I have become very OLD. As I just, 'for the life of me' can't think of anybody in the OO's that has been a massive influence that hasn't already been mentioned in the previous decades. I have albums from every one of the above bands excluding the 00's. Now I buy cardigans, audiobooks and listen to Radio 4. I'm nearly dead.

N.

The cardigans are great, but in the 00s it's more about A-camp, nina's solo project :thumbup:

Money has ruined music.

no it hasn't it's just driven it back into bedrooms and garages - people don't need labels anymore, unless they want to sell mobile phones - there is awesome music available online (some of it for free - see sig - SKFS for free) by people doing it for themselves, and great little indie labels catering for all tastes...

no it hasn't it's just driven it back into bedrooms and garages - people don't need labels anymore, unless they want to sell mobile phones - there is awesome music available online (some of it for free - see sig - SKFS for free) by people doing it for themselves, and great little indie labels catering for all tastes...

That's exactly what I mean though, none of those bands that haven't been prostituted by money have been pushed into the bedrooms and garages and people just don't find out about them any more. I'm sure if money wasn't so key to music these days then the noughties would of been more memorable. It just hasn't, it's been fad based and anything decent has been left on the wayside. Anything that could change music has been ignored because companies don't want to take a risk.

That's exactly what I mean though, none of those bands that haven't been prostituted by money have been pushed into the bedrooms and garages and people just don't find out about them any more. I'm sure if money wasn't so key to music these days then the noughties would of been more memorable. It just hasn't, it's been fad based and anything decent has been left on the wayside. Anything that could change music has been ignored because companies don't want to take a risk.

i've just admitted defeat on the mainstream music business, i don't need 'the next duran duran' anymore, when you have bands like oasis scared to do anything outside of the formula that has brought sucess, it's just not worth even noticing

the people who matter today (to me), those musicians who want do something good, irrespective of commercial success, are doing it themsleves, and the influences they take are the great acts of the past and the great (non MTV) bands of recent years...

take a band like 'fleet foxes' for example, they did everything on their own terms and make music that rivals that of the bands that influenced them, and somehow enough people got to hear about them and now they are getting a bigger audience....

i've just admitted defeat on the mainstream music business, i don't need 'the next duran duran' anymore, when you have bands like oasis scared to do anything outside of the formula that has brought sucess, it's just not worth even noticing

the people who matter today (to me), those musicians who want do something good, irrespective of commercial success, are doing it themsleves, and the influences they take are the great acts of the past and the great (non MTV) bands of recent years...

take a band like 'fleet foxes' for example, they did everything on their own terms and make music that rivals that of the bands that influenced them, and somehow enough people got to hear about them and now they are getting a bigger audience....

I like it when people take that route as well, more true to the music, but people that like these artists or have even heard of anything outside of mainstream are few and far between.

If the more obscure and original music came into the mainstream it would be a lot better. Mainstream music needs more originality.

I like it when people take that route as well, more true to the music, but people that like these artists or have even heard of anything outside of mainstream are few and far between.

If the more obscure and original music came into the mainstream it would be a lot better. Mainstream music needs more originality.

yeah, well early days, give it time and keep supporting online musicians (see sig :whistle: )

Archived