Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Doctor

best bands/solo artist of each decade

Just wondered who everyone felt were the best band/solo artist of each decade.

As i'm only old enough to pick for the last two decades on my own - the rest are big names that form part of relatives collections (and in one case mine)

60's - Beatles.

70's - Led Zeppelin

80's - Queen

90's - either Blur or Oasis, probably Blur.

00's - Kasabian

opinions?

But to be fair The Beatles were the biggest band of the 60's and Oasis were the biggest band of the 90's ...

In terms of records sold.

But they weren't the best band of the noughties, which just shows how narrow-minded you are in terms of musical taste.

But they weren't the best band of the noughties, which just shows how narrow-minded you are in terms of musical taste.

In my opinion :rolleyes: Also they had 4 albums in the 00's which all got to number 1 :blink: So how many other bands did that then ? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Not your gansta hero Jay Z or Emo utd Paramore.

But to be fair The Beatles were the biggest band of the 60's and Oasis were the biggest band of the 90's ...

In terms of records sold.

that's what i was getting at - the 90s were pretty thin on decent bands, but in the last five-ten years, thanks to the prominence of myspace etc there has been a real reaissance in music... have you seriously not heard a band that have made more interesting music than oasis in the last ten years?

personally, the amount of records sold has nothing to do with 'best', but let's not get into that again....

before people start moaning, this isn't a dig at oasis, btw, but at hugo :whistle:

I guess we're simply talking about the UK music scene here, as if it is the centre of the Universe for music?

Which it isn't.

60's - Rolling Stones, far more musically talented than the Beatles and gave the world access to a rich catalogue of blues artists

70's - Eric Clapton, building on his success in the previous decade he became a role model for the world of guitarists

80's - Depeche Mode, pretty sure electronic music would have remained in the shadows without this band - who spanned continents

90's - The Pixies, there was no band like them before and millions like them after they split

00's - Grupo Niche, despite existing for decades - the world became salsafied in the 00s thanks to the likes of GN and Willie Colon

This list will be totally different if I come back to this thread in five minutes; I'd want to include Bob Marley, Elvis, Bo Diddley, The Ramones, The Kinks, Brian Wilson, etc...it could go on and on

Jay-z has had 11 number 1 albums, all of which have gone at least once platinum.

*Counts how many albums Oasis have made*

Cya then (I don't judge by sales either but you know)

Oasis have sold more records in the U.K then Jay Z has.

In the U.S yes but not in this country matey.

Also Jay Z hardly got that album whats tops polls now has he.

TA TA

that's what i was getting at - the 90s were pretty thin on decent bands, but in the last five-ten years, thanks to the prominence of myspace etc there has been a real reaissance in music... have you seriously not heard a band that have made more interesting music than oasis in the last ten years?

personally, the amount of records sold has nothing to do with 'best', but let's not get into that again....

before people start moaning, this isn't a dig at oasis, btw, but at hugo :whistle:

The Lightning Seeds are better then any bands these days.

Oasis have sold more records in the U.K then Jay Z has.

In the U.S yes but not in this country matey.

Also Jay Z hardly got that album whats tops polls now has he.

TA TA

album sales and polls? do you have a mind of your own...

Archived