Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Doctor

best bands/solo artist of each decade

This is difficult

60s - Beatles, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys

70s - Dire Straits, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Abba

80s - Guns n' Roses, Motley Crue, REM, 2 Unlimited :whistle:

90s - Nirvana, Oasis, RHCP, Eminem, Greenday, Fatboy Slim, Prodigy

00s - Foo Fighters, Oasis, Kasabian, Fallout Boy, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Kings of Leon, Coldplay

I'm not a Radiohead fan but people like them. I think you could argue that U2, Jackson Five, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Weird Al Yankovic, 2Pac, Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash should all be included!

50's Johnny Cash (even though it was his American recordings stuff that I really like had to fit him in somewhere)

60's Bob Dylan (greatest songwriter even,you can argue about his singing or his musical ability but his songs can't be beaten)

70's The Clash (changed the face of music for me)

80's Fugazi (Ian Mackaye and Dischord records changed my life musically)

90's James Lavelle (UNKLE and Mo'wax and everything associated with them is a huge part of my music collection)

00's Foo Fighters (The Foos have made some massive massive songs over the past 10 years as there is nothing left to lose was released in Nov99 I am counting that as well)

50's Johnny Cash (even though it was his American recordings stuff that I really like had to fit him in somewhere)

60's Bob Dylan (greatest songwriter even,you can argue about his singing or his musical ability but his songs can't be beaten)

70's The Clash (changed the face of music for me)

80's Fugazi (Ian Mackaye and Dischord records changed my life musically)

90's James Lavelle (UNKLE and Mo'wax and everything associated with them is a huge part of my music collection)

00's Foo Fighters (The Foos have made some massive massive songs over the past 10 years as there is nothing left to lose was released in Nov99 I am counting that as well)

ALBUM.

ALBUM.

I don't think any band in this decade can match the Foos for the brilliance of their songs I mean just a few of the singles are

Stacked Actors

Breakout

Learn to Fly

Generator

Breakout

Next Year

All my Life

Times Like These

Best of You

Long road to ruin

DOA

Resolve

you could go on all massive songs and unlike some bands they are like a fine wine they just get better with age I appreciate them as a band musically more and more everytime I see or listen to them

I don't think any band in this decade can match the Foos for the brilliance of their songs I mean just a few of the singles are

Stacked Actors

Breakout

Learn to Fly

Generator

Breakout

Next Year

All my Life

Times Like These

Best of You

Long road to ruin

DOA

Resolve

you could go on all massive songs and unlike some bands they are like a fine wine they just get better with age I appreciate them as a band musically more and more everytime I see or listen to them

They can still write a good single to be fair to them. The new songs on Greatest Hits aren't great obviously, but they rarely are really. The albums aren't as complete these days but they're always at least decent in my opinion.

Aurora is still my favourite song lyk eva. Incredible.

Surprised no ones mentioned Nirvana. One of the greatest bands of the nineties surely.

Because they made one decent album, Nevermind, which was only done in an attempt to ape the style of The Pixies in order to achieve success.

They were, and still remain, the worst band I've seen live, and that counts for every time I saw them.

Nirvana were the Alan Sheehan of pop. Or were they the Max Gradel? Whatever, they were never a band for a decade ;)

50's - bill haley and his comets

60's - the beatles

70's - sex pistols

80's - KLF

90's - primal scream/nirvana

00's - simon cowell

i don't necessarily like all of the above they just influenced that decade more than anyone else (in my opinion)

Surprised no ones mentioned Nirvana. One of the greatest bands of the nineties surely.
Because they made one decent album, Nevermind, which was only done in an attempt to ape the style of The Pixies in order to achieve success.

They were, and still remain, the worst band I've seen live, and that counts for every time I saw them.

Nirvana were the Alan Sheehan of pop. Or were they the Max Gradel? Whatever, they were never a band for a decade ;)

did mine, then read these. nirvana, in my opinion, stopped the dross of the 80's from clogging up the charts which it still was at that time. they weren't great but they changed the main stream music scene, and radio 1, for the better. along with pearl jam and the like.

also 'in utero' was better then 'nevermind' but people had got bored of them by then.

Stacked Actors

Breakout

Learn to Fly

Generator

Breakout

Next Year

All my Life

Times Like These

Best of You

Long road to ruin

DOA

Resolve

massive songs for you, but i can safely say i couldn't name a single song by them, and i even own a cd single of their's (great song, but in a box under my bed ATM, for some reason :unsure: )

not saying they aren't a good band, but personally they are one of those band that always seem to be around, but never seem to do anything... although i imagine i know way more of their music than i think i do...

Stacked Actors

Breakout

Learn to Fly

Generator

Breakout

Next Year

All my Life

Times Like These

Best of You

Long road to ruin

DOA

Resolve

No Everlong on that list? :o

did mine, then read these. nirvana, in my opinion, stopped the dross of the 80's from clogging up the charts which it still was at that time. they weren't great but they changed the main stream music scene, and radio 1, for the better.

The Defence would like to call: Mudhoney

Mudhoney?

Yes, your Honour. A little known beat combo from the Grunge-era who encapsulated everything wrong with giving guitars and 'The Little Book of Three Chords' to angry, young teens.

Call Mudhoney...

Grunge didn't prevent the emergence of The Backstreet Boys or Jennifer Love Hewitt. I'd have said the (UK) "mainstream music scene" was more impacted upon by the transformation from Alternative to Indie and the pop-nature of many songs then coming through - coupled with a revival of punk.

The fact they only had one major selling album did cross my mind. They just about fit in that bracket of a one hit album band but that album was fooking legendary. Not to forget the premature end of the band for obvious reasons which meant there stint was short lived.

It doesn't surprise me that they weren't great live as when they recorded their albums, a lot of it was done by doubling Kurt's voice in the studio which I'm guessing would be hard to replicate with the same results live. Or Kurt could have been mashed. :dunno:

Where did you see them live out of interest?

I'm guessing as a rock fan that would be the case as obviously the most popular bands aren't necessarily the best and not forgetting they had a short stint so weren't as prolific as other bands but that one album did have an impact on the scene.

also 'in utero' was better then 'nevermind' but people had got bored of them by then.

All the hardcore Nirvana fans say this. Personally I preferred Nevermind but it's all matter of opinion.

Even more surprised Sigur Ros haven't been mentioned..

cause bellend thinks they're 'dull' :whistle:

i'm glad to see so many people mentioning the kinks, the quality (and quantity) of their output in the 60s is phenomenal... i was listening to kinda kicks last night and it's superb...

also whilst the beatles (sgt, peppers) and beach boys' (smile) attempts at concept albums were a fail, the kinks showed how it should be done, with 'village green...' and 'arthur', but focusing on the brillaint lyrics...

Where did you see them live out of interest?

Twice at Reading, once at somewhere like the Leadmill (or some Uni somewhere) and once at Rock city (which I'd totally forgotten about as I was more mullered than Cobain that night).

60s - The Beatles, The Kinks, The Who, Hermans Hermits

70s - Queen, David Bowie,

80s - Queen, David Bowie (Ok, early 80's more than late), Duran Duran, Madness

90s - Blur, Madness, Oasis (some of their tracks, sometimes they get on my nerves)

00s - :dunno: Enjoy Pixie Lott, Katy Perry and Lily Allen

Not really sure about 00's. Not many 'great' artists about - not as good as they used to be anyway. I mean, you look at 'Help!' by The Beatles, 'All Day and All Of The Night' by The Kinks, 'I Can See For Miles', 'No Milk Today' by the Hermans Hermits and 'Killer Queen'.

Classics. Long live 60's, 70's and 80's!

Music of the 00's get on my nerves. Ok, Madness still produce music which I tend to love, and even Pixie Lott, Lily Allen and a bit of Katy Perry is great and sometimes Kasabian. But, music nowadays tends to get on my nerves more than The Beatles and The Kinks for example (and all listed above really from 60's to 80's). I mean, Oasis are ok in spells but otherwise get on my nerves and some more artists too.

And, I am not even going to mention Kings of bloody Leon and that. Jees.

60s - The Beatles, The Kinks, The Who, Hermans Hermits

70s - Queen, David Bowie,

80s - Queen, David Bowie (Ok, early 80's more than late), Duran Duran, Madness

90s - Blur, Madness, Oasis (some of their tracks, sometimes they get on my nerves)

00s - :dunno: Enjoy Pixie Lott, Katy Perry and Lily Allen

Not really sure about 00's. Not many 'great' artists about - not as good as they used to be anyway. I mean, you look at 'Help!' by The Beatles, 'All Day and All Of The Night' by The Kinks, 'I Can See For Miles', 'No Milk Today' by the Hermans Hermits and 'Killer Queen'.

Classics. Long live 60's, 70's and 80's!

Music of the 00's get on my nerves. Ok, Madness still produce music which I tend to love, and even Pixie Lott, Lily Allen and a bit of Katy Perry is great and sometimes Kasabian. But, music nowadays tends to get on my nerves more than The Beatles and The Kinks for example (and all listed above really from 60's to 80's). I mean, Oasis are ok in spells but otherwise get on my nerves and some more artists too.

And, I am not even going to mention Kings of bloody Leon and that. Jees.

Madness aren't a nineties band. They were on hiatus for most of that decade weren't they? lol

Archived