Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shrenchel

Whisky

• 1 month later...

Never was a fan of whisky till i tried Johnnie Walker Double Black.

Very smooth. Pity it can only be bought in selected duty free, i've run out :(

Try some Gentleman Jim, it's as smooth as a virgin's thigh (discounting DB11)

It'd be less gay.

Gin?

Gin?

I've come to the conclusion that the reason it's the base of by far the greatest percentage of cocktails (must be something like 60%) is that it tastes so foul you need to hide the flavour.

It's not? :unsure:

no , of course not

you only have to drink the recommended amount of units per day as prescribed on the back of most cans of lager

, i think it's 25 units for a man and 1 for a lady .

i think a unit roughly equates a can of stella

I hate to admit this but just lately I've gone off whisky a bit, I've been drinking gin instead. :(

Gordons Space is amazing, only ever found it in Greece and it is brilliant! 5 of us had a gordons space pub crawl in Mykonos and all 5 of us woke up the next morning having hallucination type dreams. The drink does weird stuff to you but it is amazing.

gordons+space.jpg

Could be a dumb question but i will ask it anyway...

I dont like scotch whisky, or irish. however, ive only drank the cheap stuff(yr bells,grouse,glenfiddich(sp)morangie etc....) does the more pricey stuff taste any different? Jonny walkers et al. im hooked on jack daniels have been for around 15 years and each time i go to stock up on my weekend afflictions it always resorts back to JD.

Would quite like to get into malts but cant justify the outlay if im just gonna gag on the 1st glass and flush the bottle!!

I dont like scotch whisky, or irish. however, ive only drank the cheap stuff(yr bells,grouse,glenfiddich(sp)morangie etc....) does the more pricey stuff taste any different? Jonny walkers et al. im hooked on jack daniels have been for around 15 years and each time i go to stock up on my weekend afflictions it always resorts back to JD.

Would quite like to get into malts but cant justify the outlay if im just gonna gag on the 1st glass and flush the bottle!!

You'd be better off going to a whisky shop or one of the drink websites and ordering a few single malt miniatures. Then you can try a few without forking out for a whole bottle (worth it, as there's no such thing as "what a single malt tastes like", there's an enormous variety) That said, if you were gonna just try one then I simply can't imagine anyone gagging on the ubiquitous yet beautiful 12 year old Glenfiddich - good value and rather sublime... :)

EDIT: oh and in addition, yeah this is one product with which pricier does mean better, to a certain extent.

Edited by lcfcadam

• 2 months later...

Never was a fan of whisky till i tried Johnnie Walker Double Black.

Very smooth. Pity it can only be bought in selected duty free, i've run out :(

The English duty free's have just started selling it, £27.99 available to all passengers, bit more of a heavily peated version ain't it, is it much better than the original? not tried it yet........

I hate to admit this but just lately I've gone off whisky a bit, I've been drinking gin instead. :(

The only Gin worth drinking is one called Hendricks, stick a bit of ice and a slice of cucumber, cucumber just adds a bit of sweetness to it, instead of a the lemon which is abit sour.

This Laphroaig Quarter Cask is incredible, more than worth the relatively small investment.

If your enjoying that i would suggest you have a look at Smokehead extra rare, or Extra Black

Glenfiddich/morangie are better than your standard Johnny Walkers as they are smoother, the JW is a blend so its mixed with different rare whiskies, if you want to start noticing some much smoother whiskies and some to get you hooked a bit more i would suggest a couple of these:

Balvenie 12

Aberfeldy 12

Dalwhinnie 15

• 3 weeks later...

This Laphroaig Quarter Cask is incredible, more than worth the relatively small investment.

It's a good whisky alright, but have you tried their cask strength offering? Bought some back from Islay and it is incredible. A warning, mind: it is cask strength so unless you want a really hairy chest I'd opt for a drop of water to soften it slightly and develop the underlying oaky notes (overpowered entirely by the salt and smoky peat). And don't drink it in doubles!

I've come to the conclusion that the reason it's the base of by far the greatest percentage of cocktails (must be something like 60%) is that it tastes so foul you need to hide the flavour.

Also from Islay, I bought a bottle of the incredible Botanist, distilled using 'Ugly Betty', an old Lomond still. It uses 32 botanicals as opposed to the 8-10 in most supermarket gins, with at least 20 originating from Islay. It's a gin for sipping without mixer, this. Meths? My arse! It's sublime.

Another Islay discovery was Bruichladdich's Rocks, an unpeated malt that retains the salty sea-notes of the island (if you don't like the big-hitting peat flavours from the likes of Ardbeg, Lagavulin and the aforementioned Laphroig). Of course, Bunnahabhain's whiskies are all unpeated too and I also collected a bottle of their 12YO, but Rocks was a big hit with the mother-in-law who doesn't too much fancy peated whiskies (she loves Glenmorangie, though - their 10YO is certainly the one I would recommend if you're just trying-out malts for the first time. It's like nectar).

Hope that is of interest :)

No offence but Jack Daniels isn't whisky. It has a very clumsy flavour, A nice whisky to start with is a Jamesons 12. small glass of whisky and a small glass of water. do not mix just have it there for if you want to cleanse your pallette. mmmmmmm

Just recently i shared a bottle of Johnnie Walker "Green Label" with a good friend, very nice (Obviously not a s nice as "Blue Label" which at £175 to £200 a bottle is supreme)

In the Inverness Retail Park Tesco there was a bottle of Blue Label for £145.

Which is "cheap", but still, a £145 whisky bottle... IN TESCO! :jawdrop:

Wasn't the most expensive bottle I saw on holiday though... not by a long way.

No offence but Jack Daniels isn't whisky. It has a very clumsy flavour, A nice whisky to start with is a Jamesons 12. small glass of whisky and a small glass of water. do not mix just have it there for if you want to cleanse your pallette. mmmmmmm

Can't say I'm a massive fan of Irish whisky. Green Spot is something special, but other than that I can't say I fancy it over a decent Lowland (i.e. Auchentoshan)

Can't say I'm a massive fan of Irish whisky. Green Spot is something special, but other than that I can't say I fancy it over a decent Lowland (i.e. Auchentoshan)

Being REALLY pedantic here but:

Irish whiskey

Scotch whisky

Don't blame me, I don't make the rules!