Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shrenchel

Whisky

Think that's one that's untried (at least at home - I keep any "new" whisky bottle after it's finished and put them along the top of the kitchen cabinets), so it seems a trip to tesco is in order! :thumbup:

Your trip to Tesco will be very much rewarded. if you like a nice smooth whisky, then you'll love it. I've got 18 year's in the cupboard but I still end up going for the Balvenie 12 year doublewood.

A 40-year-old single malt whisky is to go on sale at a budget supermarket chain.

Aldi is predicting queues of eager shoppers to snake out of the doors as 3,000 bottles of the bargain whisky, made at a Scottish distillery in 1971, go on sale across its 450 UK stores on 8 December.

Aldi said today it is the first supermarket to sell a whisky of this age and expects it to sell out within hours. The whisky will cost just £49.99 a bottle.

article-2064227-0EE262CF00000578-406_468x504.jpg

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2064227/Supermarket-sell-40-year-old-whisky-time--bargain-just-49-99.html#ixzz1eMbXP7Su

Well I went Asda and discovered single malt cask strength (in this case 46%) Ardmore, which is quite rare as it isn't often bottled by Ardmore themselves, but by independents.

And all for £23 - reduced from almost £31. I'll let you know how it tastes.

The Balvennies will have to wait I'm afraid - some good offers at Asda at the mo.

If you had the choice between a:

- Lagavulin

- Dalwhinnie

- Ardbeg

- Caol Ila

- Oban

or an

- Aberlour

Which one would you go for and why?

Probably Ardbeg, given that it's the most mind-blowing experience of the lot. Sooooooo peaty, the uninitiated would have no idea why it's enjoyable. But the depth of flavour and sheer attack on your tastebuds is something really special... If someone loved me a lot they'd buy me this: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-114.aspx, can't imagine that would be anything less than spectacular being bottled at cask strength.

If I was just looking for something a bit more easy-going and relaxing it'd be the Caol Ila - very, very refined.

I know it's not as exclusive and trendy as some malts but Glenfiddich is as nice a whisky as you'll find.

The 18 year old Glenfiddich is an absolute stunner, probably my personal favourite whisky.

Currently weighing up the pros and cons of opening another credit card so I can buy this: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-12022.aspx :blush:

Any recommendations that you can get from normal supermarkets without breaking the bank? Im going down to London to see a mate and fancy getting a nice tipple for when I go. Was considering the 18yr Glenfiddich

Sorry for the laziness of not going through the whole thread by the way

Edited by Darkon84

If you had the choice between a:

- Lagavulin

- Dalwhinnie

- Ardbeg

- Caol Ila

- Oban

or an

- Aberlour

Which one would you go for and why?

I'd go for an Aberlour. The 10yr is the best young Speyside there is. It's not got the overwhelming peat of the three Islays on the list (of which I'd pick an older Ardbeg), but if you're looking for something sweet and smooth you cannot beat it.

Any recommendations that you can get from normal supermarkets without breaking the bank? Im going down to London to see a mate and fancy getting a nice tipple for when I go. Was considering the 18yr Glenfiddich

Sorry for the laziness of not going through the whole thread by the way

Again, Aberlour 10yr: often priced under £25 and if you're lucky on offer for as little as £18.

Hmm, gone off it since I went to the distillery. It was expensive and the people were very unfriendly, much unlike any other place on Islay where everyone seemed very happy to see non-locals. I know that doesn't reflect the whisky's taste, but it infringes on its character in my mind.

I suppose it suits a royal, then.

Back in 2001 I visited Islay with a few friends (after having been to Filbert and seen Leicester vs Villa) we got a very nice meeting with the manager of Lagavulin and our own private tasting session with him - for free. It was out of the tourist season, so we could have been lucky. An impression like that is of course important, but the whisky they produce is superior to most whiskies if you ask me. However, we also visited Ardbeg down the road, and spent an entire day there with a tremendous lady running their restaurant - making Ardbeg a whisky all of us today cheerish for it's fantastic peaty taste, and memorable experience due to the staff - so I catch your drift regarding hospitality.

To top it off we also met Jim McEwan of Bruichladdich, having a private tour with him on his distillery. Tasting raw spirits from the cags is something I am not likely to forget.

All in all to the rest who have not yet ventured to Scotland and Islay, if you can - spend 3-4 days at Islay, enjoy the spirits, the friendly locals and the nature of this raw and beautiful island.

Incidentally, I got the day off work tomorrow, so while reading this thread I got thirsty.

Just poured myself a grand glass of Lagavulin 16. Sitting back and sipping gently while I browse these forums before I enjoy an episode of Boardwalk Empire. Slaiñte!