Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Shrenchel

Whisky

Whisky makes me be sick in my own mouth and I don't really mind because at the least the sick tastes better than the fvcking whisky.

Need to buy some as a present though.

Can anyone recommend me a good one please? Was thinking £25-35 but then I don't really know how much it costs so can spend more if that's not realistic.

Thanks. I was hoping for something a little more obscure though. Want it to seem like I've made an effort, not just picked whatever's on offer at my local Spar.

Fairdos.

Therefore I am not your man :).

Someone of the older generations (no names mentioned :P) might have a more acquired taste :). Hope you find what you want though :thumbup:

Edited by FoxForever

If the person your buying for likes smoother whiskeys Irish or Welsh (Penderyn) would be a good choice, for the full blooded peaty taste I'd go for Lagavulin or Laphroaig but here are some choices from experts:

Classification of Single Malt Whiskies

Full-Bodied, Medium-Sweet, Pronounced Sherry with Fruity, Spicy, Malty Notes and Nutty, Smoky Hints: Balmenach, Dailuaine, Dalmore, Glendronach, Macallan, Mortlach, Royal Lochnagar;

Medium-Bodied, Medium-Sweet, with Nutty, Malty, Floral, Honey and Fruity Notes: Aberfeldy, Aberlour, Ben Nevis, Benrinnes, Benromach, Blair Athol, Cragganmore, Edradour, Glenfarclas, Glenturret, Knockando, Longmorn, Scapa, Strathisla;

Medium-Bodied, Medium-Sweet, with Fruity, Floral, Honey, Malty Notes and Spicy Hints: Balvenie, Benriach, Dalwhinnie, Glendullan, Glen Elgin, Glenlivet, Glen Ord, Linkwood, Royal Brackla;

Light, Medium-Sweet, Low or No Peat, with Fruity, Floral, Malty Notes and Nutty Hints: An Cnoc, Auchentoshan, Aultmore, Cardhu, Glengoyne, Glen Grant, Mannochmore, Speyside, Tamdhu, Tobermory;

Light, Medium-Sweet, Low Peat, with Floral, Malty Notes and Fruity, Spicy, Honey Hints: Bladnoch, Bunnahabhain, Glenallachie, Glenkinchie, Glenlossie, Glen Moray, Inchgower, Inchmurrin, Tomintoul;

Medium-Bodied, Medium-Sweet, Low Peat, Malty Notes and Sherry, Honey, Spicy Hints: Ardmore, Auchroisk, Bushmills, Deanston, Glen Deveron, Glen Keith, Glenrothes, Old Fettercairn, Tomatin, Tormore, Tullibardine;

Medium-Bodied, Sweet, Low Peat and Floral Notes: Arran, Dufftown, Glenfiddich, Glen Spey, Miltonduff, Speyburn;

Medium-Bodied, Medium-Sweet, with Smoky, Fruity, Spicy Notes and Floral, Nutty Hints: Balblair, Craigellachie, Glen Garioch, Glenmorangie, Oban, Old Pulteney, Strathmill, Tamnavulin, Teaninch;

Medium-Light, Dry, with Smoky, Spicy, Honey Notes and Nutty, Floral Hints: Bowmore, Bruichladdich, Glen Scotia, Highland Park, Isle of Jura, Springbank;

Full-Bodied, Dry, Pungent, Peaty and Medicinal, with Spicy, Feinty Notes: Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Clynelish, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Talisker.

Isn't Jack Daniels burbon?

Bourbon is an American whiskey, a type of distilled spirit, made primarily from corn and named for Bourbon County, Kentucky. It has been produced since the 18th century. While it can be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the Southern United States, especially Kentucky.

i can sum up sir fynwy's excellent comprehensive list in two simple words 'highland park'

it's very very good, very very tasty, good value, and a safe bet flavour wise, i drink it as my regular tipple as it is tasty without being to difficult on the palate, - there are many very nice single malts to chose from, as has just been demonstrated, but i would recommend it as a very safe bet, that will make the person very happy----

Edited by Vålerenga

Glenfiddich is my favourite but Isle of Jura is also very nice and would make a good present. It's around Shrenels price range and it comes in a nice bottle (it's even got a cork rather than a screwcap).

Laphroaig is the future of Whisky's. If you're buying some, get me some too. :thumbup:

I actually prefer Lagavulin to Laphroaig but both are great if you like a really medicinal whisky. I really must try the Penderyn Welsh Whisky that is on sale at spoons as well, should be easy drinking.

And for the little englanders amongst you (you know who you are) http://www.englishwhisky.co.uk/home.html

Edited by Sir Fynwy

Thanks lads, really helpful. If I get something like the Lagavulin or the Laphroaig is it worth splashing a bit extra for the 15 year?! Is it actually that much nicer?

Basically the older whiskys are generally more complex with stronger, fuller flavours, I know people who like 8 year old Lagavulin but hate the older versions. It's all about personal taste really. Also remind people to always add a small drop of water (not ice, not soda), this releases the flavours and makes for better drinking. Yes I am a whisky fan (sad isn't it).

Basically the older whiskys are generally more complex with stronger, fuller flavours, I know people who like 8 year old Lagavulin but hate the older versions. It's all about personal taste really. Also remind people to always add a small drop of water (not ice, not soda), this releases the flavours and makes for better drinking. Yes I am a whisky fan (sad isn't it).

It's not sad, were a dying breed of whisky breath casanovas!!!

The ladies love whisky breath!!

Thanks lads, really helpful. If I get something like the Lagavulin or the Laphroaig is it worth splashing a bit extra for the 15 year?! Is it actually that much nicer?

Be careful with Laphroig, they'll either love it or spit it out. It's one of my favourites but it's a very acquired taste. My advice would be to stick with something less peaty. For a single malt my choice would be The Macallan or Glen Morangie and yes the aged bottles are better. They are aged in oak, sherry casks and therefore give it more colour and taste. Whisky is clear like gin when it's first distilled.; it's the aging that gives it the distinction. The less expensive blends shouldn't be ignored, such as Johnny Walkers Black Label.

If Bourbon is under consideration, Makers Mark or Knob Creek would make a decent alternative to JD.

Be careful with Laphroig, they'll either love it or spit it out. It's one of my favourites but it's a very acquired taste. My advice would be to stick with something less peaty. For a single malt my choice would be The Macallan or Glen Morangie and yes the aged bottles are better. They are aged in oak, sherry casks and therefore give it more colour and taste. Whisky is clear like gin when it's first distilled.; it's the aging that gives it the distinction. The less expensive blends shouldn't be ignored, such as Johnny Walkers Black Label.

If Bourbon is under consideration, Makers Mark or Knob Creek would make a decent alternative to JD.

I agree with you there, the group below is probably love it or hate it.

Full-Bodied, Dry, Pungent, Peaty and Medicinal, with Spicy, Feinty Notes: Ardbeg, Caol Ila, Clynelish, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Talisker.