Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
maddog

Playoff Semi-Final Leg 1, Cardiff

Optimeter  

221 members have voted

1. 1. One foot inside Wembley??????????

Last 5 games - W-W-W-W-W, Followed by W-W-Emberly, W- Emberly were the famous Leicester City and were going to W-emberly. I've got a feeling this is going to be a comfortable win 3 - 0 followed by a 1 - 2 Cardiff will bottle it. :scarf:

Guest Mee-9

We're going to thrash Cardiff Sunday. Easy, peasy.

Love the positivity Maddog :):bounce: :city: :mrgreen:

It'll be a close game I reckon, but I think we'll scrape it 1-0 at home and at their place it'll be 0-0.

I still can't believe we have a chance to get into the Premiership if i'm honest.

Amazing last couple of seasons.

Anyone else just got the play offs in their mind?

Not good for revision!

It's sort of exhausting - I tend to go from highs in confidence to attacks of fear and anxiety on a regular basis lately.

And it's not going to get any better in the next two, three days, eh.

Afternoon Foxes!

Cardiff fan here in peace. Season ticket holder and regular at away games too.

You guys seem very confident about your chances - and rightly so after winning your last 5 games on the bounce. We're in pretty good form ourselves though - 11 unbeaten until the Derby game, which can be discounted as we really did field a second string. Only Burke from that game is likely to start on Sunday.

My question for you guys - in our 3 previous fixtures against you this season, did you have close to what you would consider your strongest line up out? I know Fryatt has been out injured, but were you missing any other significant first teamers in some or all of the matches? I went to all 3 games but to be fair I tend to concentrate on my own team rather than the opposition. We were hit quite hard from December on with injuries and had 3 or 4 first team regulars missing in all 3 of our games against you. I don't know if there is any significance in that, but we have tended to be at our best this season when we've had what I would consider our best 11 playing and barring any training ground injuries we shoudl be at full strength on Sunday.

Also, do you think you are likely to go 4-4-2 or put an extra man in midfield? We will undoubtedly go 4-4-2 and usually do well when the opposition line up the same. We've struggled over the last couple of seasons when teams have played 4-5-1 against us.

Anyway, I think we are very evenly matched - I'm quietly confident of our chances but so are you and I guess it'll be a tight affair over both legs. Let's hope the matches are not spoiled by any bad refereeing decisions and the better team over the two legs gets to Wembley. It's going to be a very tense few days!

Afternoon Foxes!

You guys seem very confident about your chances - and rightly so after winning your last 5 games on the bounce. We're in pretty good form ourselves though - 11 unbeaten until the Derby game, which can be discounted as we really did field a second string. Only Burke from that game is likely to start on Sunday.

My question for you guys - in our 3 previous fixtures against you this season, did you have close to what you would consider your strongest line up out? I know Fryatt has been out injured, but were you missing any other significant first teamers in some or all of the matches? I went to all 3 games but to be fair I tend to concentrate on my own team rather than the opposition. We were hit quite hard from December on with injuries and had 3 or 4 first team regulars missing in all 3 of our games against you. I don't know if there is any significance in that, but we have tended to be at our best this season when we've had what I would consider our best 11 playing and barring any training ground injuries we shoudl be at full strength on Sunday.

Also, do you think you are likely to go 4-4-2 or put an extra man in midfield? We will undoubtedly go 4-4-2 and usually do well when the opposition line up the same. We've struggled over the last couple of seasons when teams have played 4-5-1 against us.

Anyway, I think we are very evenly matched - I'm quietly confident of our chances but so are you and I guess it'll be a tight affair over both legs. Let's hope the matches are not spoiled by any bad refereeing decisions and the better team over the two legs gets to Wembley. It's going to be a very tense few days!

Finally we have a sensible Cardiff fan on here! :thumbup:

It's sort of exhausting - I tend to go from highs in confidence to attacks of fear and anxiety on a regular basis lately.

And it's not going to get any better in the next two, three days, eh.

That's exactly how I feel, I keep tring to forget about it.

Afternoon Foxes!

From the two defeats the most significant absentee was Berner.

Afternoon Foxes!

Firstly, I think its fair to say we've probably been closer to our strongest line-up in two of the three matches we've had already this season. We've missed Tunchev all season, who I consider our best player; and Fryatt obviously in the two league games. EDIT: Don't think Bruno Berner played in either of our losses, he's vital to our success.

The FA Cup game was apparently a close encounter (didn't go) and I think you pretty much had your best team out there. Ledley, Burke, Whittingham, Chopra, McCormack and Bothroyd all played, am I missing anyone that we should be terrified about? McPhail?

It was clear that in the game at the Walkers, you were understrength but it was a good solid performance from us and whatever Dave Jones said after the game, I thought we were the better team.

Finally, by all accounts in the league game at your gaff, we were unfortunate firstly with the goal that wasn't given from the corner and then the cynicism of Gabor Gyepes prevented us from taking a point.

I don't think any of the games will have any bearing on what will happen over the coming week and I wouldn't like to make any score prediction for either game. I'm very excited to be visiting your place in the second leg - will be a wonderful night if we somehow reach Wembley.

With regards to formation, it's anyone's guess. We've had success playing 4-3-3 at times this season and when we've had a sticky patch we've done well reverting back to 4-4-2. I'm sure NP will have noted that you may struggle against a 5 man midfield and depending on the score from the first leg he may choose to field 3 central midfielders in Cardiff.

Firstly, I think its fair to say we've probably been closer to our strongest line-up in two of the three matches we've had already this season. We've missed Tunchev all season, who I consider our best player; and Fryatt obviously in the two league games. EDIT: Don't think Bruno Berner played in either of our losses, he's vital to our success.

The FA Cup game was apparently a close encounter (didn't go) and I think you pretty much had your best team out there. Ledley, Burke, Whittingham, Chopra, McCormack and Bothroyd all played, am I missing anyone that we should be terrified about? McPhail?

It was clear that in the game at the Walkers, you were understrength but it was a good solid performance from us and whatever Dave Jones said after the game, I thought we were the better team.

Finally, by all accounts in the league game at your gaff, we were unfortunate firstly with the goal that wasn't given from the corner and then the cynicism of Gabor Gyepes prevented us from taking a point.

I don't think any of the games will have any bearing on what will happen over the coming week and I wouldn't like to make any score prediction for either game. I'm very excited to be visiting your place in the second leg - will be a wonderful night if we somehow reach Wembley.

With regards to formation, it's anyone's guess. We've had success playing 4-3-3 at times this season and when we've had a sticky patch we've done well reverting back to 4-4-2. I'm sure NP will have noted that you may struggle against a 5 man midfield and depending on the score from the first leg he may choose to field 3 central midfielders in Cardiff.

Cheers for the reply.

McNaughton, Burke & McPhail were missing from the starting line up in the FA Cup game (all 3 will start on Sunday), although Burke did come on for the last 25 mins which helped turn the game. To be fair I thought you were the better team until that point and couldn't see us winning the game. McPhail is absolutely key to our midfield - we have no one else capable of holding the ball up in central midfield and we had to grind out results when he had a long spell out through injury/cancer scare. MCNaughton is also key to our defence but has had an injury hit season.

You were indeed the better team in the 1-0 at your place and things were looking pretty grim for us at the time. Our squad was on it's last legs and we couldn't bring anybody in due to the transfer embargo imposed on us. Fortunately we got back on track by winning at Conventry a few days later and then got a few of our long term injured back sooner than expected, so we now go into the play off's with just about a fully fit squad.

As for the 3rd game - at our place, I think we edged the first hour or so but then when we went down to 10 men (actually 9 as Burke had pulled a hamstring) and you threw everything at us but didn't really look like scoring. Gypses 'rugby tackle' was a bit cynical I suppose, but I suspect other players may have done something similar in the same position - although perhaps not so obvioust!

I agree the previous results probably won't count for anything. If the game is finely poised after the first leg, it should be a cracking atmosphere down at our place on Wednesday - Cardiff fans tend to come alive for night games, providing we can overcome the tension.

I hope you enjoy your trip to South Wales on Wednesday (although obviously not the result!). Oh and ignore some of our numpties with their hand gestures and the like - we're not all like that I promise!

Nice to see a fair fan on here Dr Pop!

Absolutely dreading it the emotions are running just a little high! Can't wait to get it over in a couple of days.

Cheers Narborough.

Tell me about it - I can't concentrate on work - gawd knows what I'll be like by Saturday evening! Will probably not get too much sleep and have to be up early as I'm running one of the Supporters Club coaches up to your place and we leave our stadium at 7.20am...

I've been following Cardiff since 1973 so perhaps I should have calmed down by now, but it doesn't get any easier! I was probably more excited than nervous when we got to the FA Cup Final in 2008, there was some tension but then we were happy just to be there I suppose and were always unlikely to beat Pompey. It's a bit different this time - there's more expectation and as we've not been in the top division in my lifetime the prize at stake is just massive. At least your lot have been there fairly recently!

:blink:

Who is injured for the two games Dr Pop?

We're pretty much at full strength - only Gavin Rae is missing who is out for the season and he would have been on the bench anyway.

Our starting line up will almost certainly be:

GK: Marshall

RB: McNaughton

LB: Kennedy

CB: Blake

CB: Gerrard

RM: Burke

LM: Whittingham

CM: Ledley

CM: McPhail

ST: Bothroyd

ST: Chopra

The only possible change is our captain Mark Hudson coming in for Darcy Blake at centre back, but Hudson has only just come back from an ankle op and Blake has been in superb form since he got his chance in the team, so I expect him to get the nod.

The bench will be selected from: Enkleman, Hudson, Gypses, Quinn, Matthews, Wildig, McCormack, , Etuhu, Feeney

After looking at some of the stats i'm starting to fear the worst :(

Cardiff-

- Only one loss in their last 12. And that was on Sunday, with a 2nd choice team (after 10 changes).

- Unbeaten in their last 7 home games, winning 5, drawing to an inform Reading, and a decent Sheff Utd.

- Winning 3 of their last 5 away games, drawing one to Forest who have been excellent at home this season. And losing on Sunday, but as I said, a 2nd team.

- and 2nd highest away scoring team.

However, on the other hand, we've WON our last 5 games. I think if we have our full strength team (which we hopefully do), we can beat them. I think we need a win on Sunday. Don't want to be going to Cardiff looking for a win.

I think if there is a winning team on Sunday, it'll only be by a goal. Can't see the tie being decided on Sunday (hopefully we win 5-1 though and it is :D).

My prediction: LCFC 1-0 CCFC (King 87)

After looking at some of the stats i'm starting to fear the worst :(

Cardiff-

- Only one loss in their last 12. And that was on Sunday, with a 2nd choice team (after 10 changes).

- Unbeaten in their last 7 home games, winning 5, drawing to an inform Reading, and a decent Sheff Utd.

- Winning 3 of their last 5 away games, drawing one to Forest who have been excellent at home this season. And losing on Sunday, but as I said, a 2nd team.

- and 2nd highest away scoring team.

However, on the other hand, we've WON our last 5 games. I think if we have our full strength team (which we hopefully do), we can beat them. I think we need a win on Sunday. Don't want to be going to Cardiff looking for a win.

I think if there is a winning team on Sunday, it'll only be by a goal. Can't see the tie being decided on Sunday (hopefully we win 5-1 though and it is :D).

My prediction: LCFC 1-0 CCFC (King 87)

If we're throwing stats around:

Never lost a single game in a two legged semi-final scenario:

L.C 1999/2000 Aston Villa AWAY 0-0 HOME 1-0

L.C. 1998/99 Sunderland AWAY 1-2 HOME 1-1

L.C. 1996/97 Wimbledon HOME 0-0 AWAY 1-1 (Away Goals Rule)

P.O. 1995/96 Stoke City HOME 0-0 AWAY 0-1

P.O. 1993/94 Tranmere AWAY 0-0 HOME 2-1

P.O. 1992/93 Portsmouth HOME 1-0 AWAY 2-2

P.O. 1991/92 Cambridge AWAY 1-1 HOME 5-0

L.C. 1964/65 Plymouth HOME 3-2 AWAY 0-1

L.C 1963/64 West Ham HOME 4-0 AWAY 0-2

Archived