Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
maddog

Playoff Semi-Final Leg 1, Cardiff

Optimeter  

221 members have voted

1. 1. One foot inside Wembley??????????

Just seen in another thread that both matches are being televised! Though of course our 2nd leg clashes with the Europa Final... hopefully not many Fulham supporters in Wells-Next-The-Sea.

Guest Mee-9

Anyone know if either of our games are being televised? Sky are showing "a" play-off semi-final, both legs, so maybe one of each (though knowing Sky they'll count Forest v Blackpool as a bigger tv audience and go with both their legs.) I ask cos I'm away in North Norfolk and hoping to persuade any local hostelry with Satellite TV that this will be a display of quality football to draw the punters in! :whistle:

Skys got both of the playoff semi's haven't they?

Cardiff City have SOLD OUT their allocation of tickets for the Championship play-off semi-final first leg match at Leicester City on Sunday, May 9. Please take note of the ticket arrangements for the home leg.

And our club haven't even announced details of how ours are to be sold :rolleyes:

Apparently Cardiff had theirs on sale straight after their match with Derby, before their fans had even got home lol

And our club haven't even announced details of how ours are to be sold :rolleyes:

Apparently Cardiff had theirs on sale straight after their match with Derby, before their fans had even got home lol

We had our 1st leg tickets for sale before we even knew who we were playing.

I'd be too embarrassed to admit to being an 'Ambassador' football has gotten way beyond itself.

Is the match live on TV? if so which channel (sorry if this has been asked elsewhere).

About 20 times, they're all on Sky

http://football.fanh...looking-up-aga/

John Percy

leicester-celebrate.jpg

When Milan Mandaric breezed into the Walkers Stadium at the start of 2007, he boldly pledged that Leicester City would be back in the Premier League within three years.

It's fair to say the Serbian billionaire didn't expect to take such a long and winding road to the top flight, but he is still on schedule to fulfil his promise.

Under Mandaric, the club quickly went in the wrong direction as they fell into the third tier of football for the first time in their history, but the last two seasons have been memorable for the right reasons.

After sacking three managers and losing Gary Megson to Bolton Wanderers, the former Portsmouth chairman has eradicated his reputation as the mad axeman of English football and finally got it right with the appointment of Nigel Pearson, who is on course for his second successive promotion.

Pearson's achievement as they easily won League One last season was impressive, but his burgeoning reputation has only been enhanced this term.

Many were sceptical when he made his own bold statement of intent and promised another charge for promotion, but Leicester have been in and around the top six for most of the campaign.

He has erased the stage fright Leicester so often suffered at home and built an energetic squad with a liberal sprinkling of experience and youthful exuberance. Pearson's revival has predictably seen him emerge as a target for other clubs and a delay in signing a new contract offered by Mandaric has served to muddy the waters.

But any off-field distractions do not appear to have affected his squad, who will head into the first leg of their semi-final against Cardiff on the back of five successive victories.

Star Man: Jack Hobbs. The centre-half has been outstanding all season and his decision to quit Liverpool last summer, after impressing on loan, has been fully justified. He may only be 21 but reads the game in a way that belies his lack of years in the game, while he possesses a deadly threat in the opposition box. With Cardiff possessing such an embarrassment of attacking riches, Hobbs will be vital.

X-Factor: Matty Fryatt. The striker made a surprise return as a second half substitute in Leicester's final game of the Championship season against Middlesbrough and will surely play a major part in Pearson's promotion mission. There were fears he would miss the remainder of the campaign after breaking his jaw in early February, but he will put the bite back into the Foxes. The stage is undoubtedly set for Fryatt to make a dramatic impact at the business end of the season.

If They Get Promoted They Will: Need Mandaric to invest huge amounts of money to compete. Pearson has somehow guided Leicester into the play-offs on a minimal budget in comparison to his rivals and will need to be at his persuasive best if he does manage to achieve promotion. The experienced players in his squad have struggled before at Premier League level, while some of the younger players may find it a bridge too far. After his accomplishments so far, however, you can probably expect Pearson to be capable of punching his weight at the top level.

Cardiff ticket arrangements are a joke anyway. You can be season ticket holder who has been to every away game this season & last and you will miss out to an 'ambassador' who has been to 4.

Or to me, for the game in Cardiff, who has friends in (not very) high places...:thumbup:

Easier for me, a non ST holder living in London, to get tickets there than at the Walkers.

Feeling a little bit guilty? Nah... :chant: :chant::scarf: :scarf:

Guest DavidJCW

An embarrassment of attacking riches?

Ye what?

Since when can embarrassment be used as a positive descriptive?

Guest Mee-9
Cardiff City boss Dave Jones believes Leicester City's experience of the play-offs will make them favourites to reach Wembley.

Jones began the mind-games ahead of Sunday's play-off semi-final first leg at the Walkers Stadium, by saying City's four play-off campaigns of the 1990s will give them the advantage.

"Leicester will probably have a little bit more know-how because they have been and done it before as a football club," he said. "The players maybe haven't, but it is still within the club.''

Cardiff have beaten City twice in Wales this season, 4-2 in the FA Cup and 2-1 in the Championship, but City overcame the Bluebirds 1-0 at home in March.

Jones said his players were fully aware of the challenge City will pose. And he believes the resilience his side have shown to remain on the promotion race while the cash-strapped club experienced a catalogue of off-field problems had given them confidence.

"It will all come down now to whether we deserve it or not," he said. "We know who we are playing and we know what we have got to do.

"When you look at this football club over the past five years, when you look at the resources we have had, then we have kept knocking on the door. It is great credit to the players who have been here and to my staff that we have this opportunity.

"We have to focus. We have been in the play-offs for a couple of weeks so there has been a bit of a lull with everyone waiting for it to happen. But that has also happened to Forest and Leicester, so now you just have to get down and start working hard.

"There's a confidence around the place, but it's not an over-confidence. There is honesty about my players. They know how hard they have worked and if it is our year it will be down to hard work. We will dig in and fight and scrap.''

Leicester City defender Michael Morrison is winning his battle to be fit for the play-offs.

The 22-year-old missed Sunday's win over Middlesbrough after picking up an ankle injury in the victory at Preston the week before and has been wearing a protective boot to aid his recovery.

However, assistant manager Craig Shakespeare said Morrison has made significant progress and could be back in training by tomorrow or Thursday.

If Morrison is fit, it will mean City will head into Sunday's play-off semi-final first leg against Cardiff City at the Walkers Stadium with no injury concerns.

"Michael, hopefully, should be training by the middle of this week," said Shakespeare. "He has improved a lot over the last 48 hours. He has had a little boot on and that has come off now.

"We will have to monitor it every 24 hours but, if he keeps improving as he has done, then, knowing him as I do, he will be fit by the middle of the week.

"It will be nice to have everyone available. We challenged the players before the Middlesbrough game to give us that selection problem.

"They certainly did that. It does give us a headache, but it is one that every manager will welcome."

Shakespeare said the management team would try to protect the City squad from the hype that will surround the play-off semi-finals and try to treat the two games against the Bluebirds as normally as possible.

"The media will hype it up anyway and you can't hide from that,'' said Shakespeare. "But, as players, you have to make sure you do what you need to in training and prepare properly.

"We have to make sure they are as relaxed and as confident as possible going into the game. The run of results we have had has made sure that confidence is high.

"Nigel (Pearson) and I have spoken about it and we don't want too much change. You have to keep the routine that has served us so well. The preparation must stay the same because it has stood us in good stead over 46 games.

"We believe the preparation we give them is right and, as individuals, the players have to prepare as they have done for each game.''

This has probably been seen but for those who havent ;)

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Alan Wiley will ref the home leg and Steve Bennett will ref the away game.

Much better then Phil Dowd and Mark Clattenburg in the other play off game.

Leicester City 2 - 0 Cardiff City :scarf:

Cardiff City 1 - 1 Leicester City :scarf:

!! Come On You Foxes !!

That's My Prediction :chant:

yes i totally agree with that, i'm sure it's going to make for a tense viewing for all with the 2nd leg (whether at the ground or watching on tv like i will have to) but i do think we will make it by a goal. DO NOT want to have to go to extra time and pens!!!

Love the 'mind games' from Dave Jones, I am glad NP hasn't got into any of that BS

This 'experience' in the play-offs. Forgive me if I don't buy into it, seeing as we don't have the same manager, and a lot of our players were either playing on their SNES or waiting for their voices to break the last time we were in a play-off campaign.

Archived