Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesAreBlue

Formula 1 thread 2012

Maldonado given retrospective 20 second penalty, which demotes him to 12th and out of the points.

I'd have thought a grid-penalty at Silverstone would be more appropriate, especially considering that's the punishment handed out to Kobayashi and Vergne.

They don't hand out grid penalties unless the incident cannot be punished in the race, since maldonado finished in the points he got his punishment now.

Hamilton shouldn't have tried so hard to defend imo, was doing even more damage to the tyres and risking a collision.

It's worth pointing out that Hamilton would have finished about sixth anyway. His tyres were finished.

But considering Alonso's two rivals were 1st and 2nd on the grid and he was 11th, you're looking at damage limitation. So to pull out a 20 point lead is a staggering achievement.

Definitely, impressive drive for Massa too finishing 16th

Tbf, Kobayashi took him out.

Yeah, exactly. Not that I'm suggesting it was a good drive, and he wasn't exactly a front runner at the time. But considering the remarkable series of events in the latter part of the race, had Kobayashi not made contact with him, Massa could well have been in the top five ahead of the likes of Hulkenberg.

Yeah, exactly. Not that I'm suggesting it was a good drive, and he wasn't exactly a front runner at the time. But considering the remarkable series of events in the latter part of the race, had Kobayashi not made contact with him, Massa could well have been in the top five ahead of the likes of Hulkenberg.

Considering his pace and his positioning at the time of the crash, I think thats a fair estimate.

ClutchingStraws.jpg

Eh? I'm simply defending the guy when he's getting unfairly criticised, just like I've done with Hamilton and Vettel in the past.

How can you blame Hamilton for someone slamming into him ffs? Seriously if his tyres were that bad all Maldonado had to do was bide his time

There's obviously more than a few Hamilton supporters in this thread. Maldonado isn't without blame, for sure, but Hamilton didn't give room for Maldonado even though he had the inside track. It's already been said, but it was immature driving by both drivers. Hamilton reaffirmed my opinion of him as a hothead who tends to get reckless. Early in the race he was passed at exactly the same place by Grosjean and let him go through. Fast forward to the second last lap where he's clearly frustrated that Raïkkonnen has just passed him and Maldonado is coming up fast, he just sees red. He was never going to keep Maldonado behind him and should've instead tried to limit the damage in the championship.

Hamilton coulda been in the top 4/5 too had he not been taken out. Couldawouldashoulda

Did make me laugh though seeing Massa being the first to cross the line after Alonso. 1-2? No. Lapped.

Hamilton coulda been in the top 4/5 too had he not been taken out. Couldawouldashoulda

Did make me laugh though seeing Massa being the first to cross the line after Alonso. 1-2? No. Lapped.

So? Hamilton lapped Button in Canada... what's your point?

Immaturity from Maldonado, could've chosen an easier place to overtake.

remember, this is coming to the end of a long race, heat of the moment, adrenalin rush etc. would you expect him to think 'there may be an opportunity three corners ahead, i'll wait' no way. both at fault, hamilton must have seen him coming. oh, i forgot lewis has never been involved in an incident like this before, has he?

remember, this is coming to the end of a long race, heat of the moment, adrenalin rush etc. would you expect him to think 'there may be an opportunity three corners ahead, i'll wait' no way. both at fault, hamilton must have seen him coming. oh, i forgot lewis has never been involved in an incident like this before, has he?

heat of the moment? he drove straight at him into his side pod, he should have to miss at least a race because of that, he basically deliberately took him out

heat of the moment? he drove straight at him into his side pod, he should have to miss at least a race because of that, he basically deliberately took him out

why would he deliberately take him out and risk taking himself out as well? it was a racing incident both drivers could have avoided it.

why would he deliberately take him out and risk taking himself out as well? it was a racing incident both drivers could have avoided it.

It was a racing incident, but Maldonado should have waited until it was safe to return to the track, let alone the racing line. Hamilton was fully within his rights to stay where he was, he had the line. Maldonado had been safely edged off the racing line during the lead up to the incident. Yes Hamilton would have no doubt been taken by the Williams in the end but, there was plenty of time left to do it.

I have no doubt it was an accident, as has been said, heat of the moment, adrenaline etc...but accident was wholly caused by Maldonado for me.

Think some people on here should realise that it is actually legal to push somebody wide off the track so like as you're on the racing line, which he was. Only thing that Hamilton was at fault for was defending a position he was most likely going to lose but on lap 56/57 with the guy who you claim to be your rival for the title in 1st, I can understand why he would. Maldonado though, its laughable it took him a whole lap to even have a good luck at making a move

I do find it odd that Maldonado was given a largely pointless time penalty when Kobayashi and Vergne got given grid penalties for less serious incidents. I don't think Maldonado should be given a race ban because we've seen similar incidents in the past that didn't recieve anything more than a time/grid penalty, but when he does stupid things like cutting across other drivers to show his displeasure he probably should be given a ban.

I agree: he should have received a grid penalty too, and he should have probably been banned from racing in Monaco after the Perez incident, and likewise Spa last year.

I love watching Maldonado though, he's so unpredictable. :D

Archived