Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ACF

Scholes comes out of retirement.

Scholes rejoins United

Paul Scholes has rejoined the playing staff at Manchester United for the remainder of the season with immediate effect, after approaching Sir Alex Ferguson to reverse his decision, made at the end of last season, to retire.

He has gone straight onto the bench for this afternoon’s FA Cup third round tie against Manchester City.

Sir Alex Ferguson said: "It’s fantastic that Paul has made this decision. It’s always sad to see great players end their careers, but especially so when they do it early.

"But he has kept himself in great shape and I always felt that he had another season in him. It’s terrific to have him back."

Paul Scholes added: "I’ve been pretty clear since I stopped playing that I miss it. I’m delighted the manager feels I can still make a contribution to the team and I’m looking forward to playing my part in trying to bring more success to this great club.”

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2012/Jan/paul-scholes-rejoins-united.aspx

Just posted this in the FA Cup thread. Not sure if this is a good stop gap solution for Man Utd or a sign they have no money to sign a much needed creative midfielder. I'm sure Fergie would rather sign Sneijder or even Kaka than bring a 37 year old out or retirement.

Just posted this in the FA Cup thread. Not sure if this is a good stop gap solution for Man Utd or a sign they have no money to sign a much needed creative midfielder. I'm sure Fergie would rather sign Sneijder or even Kaka than bring a 37 year old out or retirement.

Scholes retired from the game for a reason - his legs had gone.

Unless he's found a magical solution to the ageing process (and if he has, can he please share it with the rest of us! lol) this comeback can only end in tears.

"@OptaJoe: 71 - After coming on after 60 mins, Paul Scholes made 71 passes (97% complete), more than any Man City player in the entire game. Comeback."

Doesn't tell the whole story though, the stats are very misleading. City were a man down, and man united decided to try and kill the game, by keeping posession in their own half rather then attack. It's much easier to keep posession when you're against 10 men for 80 minutes of a game, and you're not even trying to leave your own half.

Man United were 3 - 0 up, and conceeded two when Scholes came on. Plus Scholes lost possession which lead to one of the Man City goals. Hardly a great comeback.

Edit: Oops, just missed the few posts above that said the same thing. My bad!

This smacks of desperation. Poor Man U.

Except its Been Scholes who has been banging on Fergusons door for the last 6 weeks saying he wanted to play on....

Doesn't tell the whole story though, the stats are very misleading. City were a man down, and man united decided to try and kill the game, by keeping posession in their own half rather then attack. It's much easier to keep posession when you're against 10 men for 80 minutes of a game, and you're not even trying to leave your own half.

Man United were 3 - 0 up, and conceeded two when Scholes came on. Plus Scholes lost possession which lead to one of the Man City goals. Hardly a great comeback.

errr.... thats strange Logic... The other midfielders were still on the pitch for 60 minutes longer than him...

Except its Been Scholes who has been banging on Fergusons door for the last 6 weeks saying he wanted to play on....

Says who?

errr.... thats strange Logic... The other midfielders were still on the pitch for 60 minutes longer than him...

Scholes came on while United were coasting. He probably wouldn't have appeared in normal circumstances (ie 11 vs 11)

For starters it was 3-1 when Scholes came on.

The fact that the scenario was an odd one is precisely why bringing Scholes on was a good move. United's players felt comfortable giving him the ball. At the end, when killing time, United kept the ball non-stop for about 2 minutes, during which time Scholes must have made 10 passes.

Anyway, regardless of the circumstances, completing 70 passes in half-an-hour is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not sure I've ever seen a passing statistic quite like it.

Players like Scholes dont need pace, he's still one of the closest players this country has to a "Xavi" or "Iniesta". I'd like to know what money he's on though. Probably doing it for free if it was Scholes who asked to come back.

Did he have a testimonial when he originally retired?

Archived