Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pride_Of_The_Midlands

Do Leicester attract Asian fans?

So that article is commending abuse from a fan just because she's Asian, and giving it a positive stance using her colour and race?

Since when was any abuse ever good, let alone just because the perpetrator is of a different ethnicity?

Forgive me if I've misconstrued what that article is getting at, but I find it ludicrous to think that people are saying that the game has come a long way now that it's seen to be okay that Asians (or other ethnic minorities) can now give abuse.

So that article is commending abuse from a fan just because she's Asian, and giving it a positive stance using her colour and race?

Since when was any abuse ever good, let alone just because the perpetrator is of a different ethnicity?

Forgive me if I've misconstrued what that article is getting at, but I find it ludicrous to think that people are saying that the game has come a long way now that it's seen to be okay that Asians (or other ethnic minorities) can now give abuse.

In most games you go to or watch,you can always see fans giving abuse to players throughout the whole game.

We have no more of an asian fan base than any other average club imo. ignore any fans of other clubs who say otherwise as its simply not true

It's a bit of a shame if that's true. It's hard to tell if you don't sit/stand amongst a fanbase regularly, though.

Think its fair to say that most Asians support Man U or Liverpool, from personal experience anyway. Went to a secondary school which is mostly Asian, and I think there was only me and one other in the whole year whom you could call Leicester fans, with most supporting Man U or Liverpool...

Think this is more because they simply don't get into going down to the football from a young age and simply just watch it on TV, hence why most support Man U or Liverpool... I was lucky enough to have a Leicester supporting family and been taken to watch games from when I was young, which is what obviously got me into it.

In most games you go to or watch,you can always see fans giving abuse to players throughout the whole game.

Yes, and?

Why does it make a difference and how is it progress just because an Asian female fan does it?

The article is taking the wrong stance on the whole 'abuse' thing. Just because it happens in a game, doesn't mean we should encourage it more simply cos an Asian female has joined it.

Abuse to players should be prevented, not encouraged.

What if Bannan (or any other Villa player) started giving it back to the fan? Cue accusations that said Villa player(s) are racist no doubt. Too many fans these days think they are invincible and think they have a permanent protective shield around them. They're happy to dish it out but hate when a player should ever think about giving it back to them.

The point is she feels comfortable enough to let herself go and get involved, rather than feeling intimidated by her own clubs vocal fans. People like her may have been intimidated in a bygone era. Some might still be.

It is a bit of a strange article in the sense they are admitting what is widely accepted by a lot of football fans; that it is part of the fun to give opposition players some stick.

It's refreshingly honest if you ask me. In a football sense, abuse can bring the fans together.

The point is she feels comfortable enough to let herself go and get involved, rather than feeling intimidated by her own clubs vocal fans. People like her may have been intimidated in a bygone era. Some might still be.

It is a bit of a strange article in the sense they are admitting what is widely accepted by a lot of football fans; that it is part of the fun to give opposition players some stick.

It's refreshingly honest if you ask me. In a football sense, abuse can bring the fans together.

Perhaps I'm reading in to it a different way to most then. I thought I might be!

I do still see it as a strange to big up player abuse and use a person's gender and race to emphasise their point.

I think more and more Asians are starting to support Leicester, particularly the younger generations which is good to see. A couple of my dad's mate's kids support Arsenal and Man Utd, but they love coming to Leicester games and even had season tickets last year. And obviously nobody likes to see abuse, but if Asian fans are being more vocal then that's great.

Leicesterlad96 - you may not care if we attract Asian supporters but with the current debate on racism at football I think it's positive if more Asians do attend. It's just a shame that racist abuse will never disappear, and that's not me being pessimistic it's just the truth unfortunately.

Yes, and?

Why does it make a difference and how is it progress just because an Asian female fan does it?

The article is taking the wrong stance on the whole 'abuse' thing. Just because it happens in a game, doesn't mean we should encourage it more simply cos an Asian female has joined it.

Abuse to players should be prevented, not encouraged.

What if Bannan (or any other Villa player) started giving it back to the fan? Cue accusations that said Villa player(s) are racist no doubt. Too many fans these days think they are invincible and think they have a permanent protective shield around them. They're happy to dish it out but hate when a player should ever think about giving it back to them.

You could say the same about some players as well. Some of them do give the crowd a bit of stick.

I don't really see what your problem is, I don't think abuse should be prevented (within reason) giving the opposition and referee stick is part of the fun and the atmosphere. It's part creating a difficult atmosphere for them. You know, 'intimidating' atmospheres, I'd love us to have those at home, mentally it can make a difference, it probably did make a difference in that Bradford v Villa game.

I'm not sure why you've said if the player gave some back he'd be labelled a racist. That's a completely seperate issue about people playing the race card.

You could say the same about some players as well. Some of them do give the crowd a bit of stick.

I don't really see what your problem is, I don't think abuse should be prevented (within reason) giving the opposition and referee stick is part of the fun and the atmosphere. It's part creating a difficult atmosphere for them. You know, 'intimidating' atmospheres, I'd love us to have those at home, mentally it can make a difference, it probably did make a difference in that Bradford v Villa game.

I'm not sure why you've said if the player gave some back he'd be labelled a racist. That's a completely seperate issue about people playing the race card.

Yeah, true, players shouldn't give it back, either. I'm not saying there should be any communicative barriers between players and fans, but there are different ways other than abuse to interact.

As for the racist point, that's my point - the race card would most likely be played just because she's Asian and a player decided to give some back to her. If anything she was probably looking for a reaction, but that's just my thinking.

Yeah, true, players shouldn't give it back, either. I'm not saying there should be any communicative barriers between players and fans, but there are different ways other than abuse to interact.

As for the racist point, that's my point - the race card would most likely be played just because she's Asian and a player decided to give some back to her. If anything she was probably looking for a reaction, but that's just my thinking.

Well if somebody does play the race card then of course that's not on. I'm sure there would be some people who would use it, but there are plenty of people who aren't like that as well.

That girl may well have been just another fan who wanted to put him off his game, or got caught up in the pack mentality or was just having a bit of 'banter' or whatever. It's just like the pantomime. When I go to the football sometimes I shout some abuse in anger, or chant 'willy puller' cos that's what the other fans are doing etc. I don't mean anything by it, it's just a bit of fun and a way to vent my frustration and if someone does react I generally find it quite funny. :)

As for giving it and not taking it or abusing people because you think you're untouchable, that's typical of society; if you think it's bad at the footy, it's even worse on facebook and twitter ;)

We have no more of an asian fan base than any other average club imo. ignore any fans of other clubs who say otherwise as its simply not true

I think it is actually. Certainly don't see as high a proportion of match going Asian fans supporting their local team at other grounds. Shows how much better Leicester is ayt integration than other cities with a high Asian population.

There was a good group of four or five Asian lads in their teens on the back row of P2 on Saturday and they were going for it all game. Fair play to them.

That picture is hilarious, I can't imagine standing next to a muslim woman at a City game, would be bizarre.

Yeah, I bet keeping down that semi would be right difficult for you...

I think it is actually. Certainly don't see as high a proportion of match going Asian fans supporting their local team at other grounds. Shows how much better Leicester is ayt integration than other cities with a high Asian population.

There was a good group of four or five Asian lads in their teens on the back row of P2 on Saturday and they were going for it all game. Fair play to them.

Yeah, I bet keeping down that semi would be right difficult for you...

Yeah, there the ones who sit in K1

Archived