Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pride_Of_The_Midlands

Do Leicester attract Asian fans?

I'm asian and I got home and away, but does it really matter if I am or not? Surely we're all just football fans.

I think this thread is trying to determine why we have such a high percentage of Asians living in Leicester yet a low percentage watching the team. In this way it is being suggested that we want more Asians to watch Leicester.

It may be 5% by the 2001 census but not anymore. Plus, as the vast majority of football stadiums are in City Centres where the Asian population is high you would expect more.

To be honest, I don't care how many fans of each ethnic background we have, as long as we have fans.

6% for 2009 according to wikki. nowhere near a majority population in the UK. But I'd estimate it to be around 45-50% for Leicester as a city.

I'm not sure what percentage it is, but I know that Liverpool get a lot of tourist fans and sell a lot of tickets to travel agents who then flog a match as part of a package to the UK.

I also wouldn't want to say that Asian fans are glory hunters, but it is possible they don't feel the same connection to football and football loyalties, often football fandom is passed down from parents and grandparents and football and the club you support is a big part of your English identity, now this may not be as prevalent in second or thrid generation Englishmen, Asian or other ethnic background .

Dear grammar Nazi could you please explain the word " thrid " as in second and thrid generation Englishmen. Expect a call from your local Gestapo headquarters anytime soon.

Dear grammar Nazi could you please explain the word " thrid " as in second and thrid generation Englishmen. Expect a call from your local Gestapo headquarters anytime soon.

It's a typo chuckles, not a grammatical error, to be honest I am a pretty poor Grammar Nazi, I never call indivduals up on mistakes, because that is sad and petty, and I make mistakes all the time. I want my sig to serve as a gentle reminder to the actual rules of grammar, I am more of a grammar pacifist, but I couldn't find the badge for that.

It's a typo chuckles, not a grammatical error, to be honest I am a pretty poor Grammar Nazi, I never call indivduals up on mistakes, because that is sad and petty, and I make mistakes all the time. I want my sig to serve as a gentle reminder to the actual rules of grammar, I am more of a grammar pacifist, but I couldn't find the badge for that.

Thank's for putting me right on that I knew I could rely on you. :) :) :) :) :)

It is a shame to think that a huge portion of Leicester's population aren't interested in watching the team play. If the crowd at the KP was as diverse as the crowd in the city centre, we'd be full to capacity most matches. The atmosphere would improve, and eventually we'd have to expand the stadium for sure. Hopefully this will happen in the future.

6 weeks work in the IPL paid this in 2011............let me know what Dentistry course you did!!

Gautam Gambhir (India) Kolkata Knight Riders, $2.4 million

Yusuf Pathan (India) Kolkata Knight Riders, $2.1 million

Robin Uthappa (India) Pune Warriors, $2.1 million

Rohit Sharma (India) Mumbai Indians, $2 million

Irfan Pathan (India) Delhi Daredevils, $1.9 million

Yuvraj Singh (India) Pune Warriors, $1.8million

Mahela Jayawardene (Sri Lanka) Kochi, $1.5 million

Dale Steyn (South Africa) Deccan Chargers, $1.2million

AB de Villiers (South Africa), Royal Challengers Bangalore, $1.1 million

Cameron White (Australia), Deccan Chargers, $1.1 million

Exactly.

There's no opportunity for match fixing in dentistry.

Out of interest what's the percentage that watch the cricket, rugby, basketball?

There's 4/5 'Asian' guys within a few rows of me and quite often further 4 sit right in front of me presumably not ST holders but have been quite regularly.

i personally think its the fact that LEICESTER has a high asian population, however does this include other areas such as Birstall, Loughboro, and places like Market harbrough. fans from the whole of leicestershire support leicester city and in areas mentioned there are more white people there. also i know for a fact that most asians and few whites ARE glory hunters. i in fact only know one leicester supporter in my college from all my asian freinds and he's a PAP who barely turns up to games.

It is a shame to think that a huge portion of Leicester's population aren't interested in watching the team play. If the crowd at the KP was as diverse as the crowd in the city centre, we'd be full to capacity most matches. The atmosphere would improve, and eventually we'd have to expand the stadium for sure. Hopefully this will happen in the future.

I worked at the stadium a few years ago and suggested as a way to fill the stadium, offer a discounted ticket to anyone with a Polish passport. Polish football fans are extremely passionate and would have definitely added to the atmosphere.

On looking into it, apparantly that would have fallen into racial discrimination.

Point being that the club i'm sure would love to attract different ethnic groups to boost attendance but finding a way to market it is not as straightforward as it should be.

I'm 'Asian' and I do support and go and see City as much as I can.

I do agree with what most of you say, most of my 'Asian' friends from the City support the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool etc, makes my blood boil :angry:

I'm 'Asian' and I do support and go and see City as much as I can.

I do agree with what most of you say, most of my 'Asian' friends from the City support the likes of Man Utd, Liverpool etc, makes my blood boil :angry:

Invite them to the Cov game, or the next fan's fixture game (does anyone if we are having anymore of these discounted games), show them what real football is.

Sometimes it can only take one game and you are hooked, especially if you live in the area.

I worked at the stadium a few years ago and suggested as a way to fill the stadium, offer a discounted ticket to anyone with a Polish passport. Polish football fans are extremely passionate and would have definitely added to the atmosphere.

On looking into it, apparantly that would have fallen into racial discrimination.

Point being that the club i'm sure would love to attract different ethnic groups to boost attendance but finding a way to market it is not as straightforward as it should be.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1366144/Polish-football-fans-offered-huge-80-ticket-discounts-Bath-City-FC.html

I'd say leicester has a good mixture of fans from different races.

One thing's for sure, the people of thailand love us.

Our club and our city seem to have moved beyond the question.

I don't even think about the ethnicity of the people next to me or around me unless it has particular relevence to any conversation we're having...either at the football or at work on the market

If anyone wishes to buy a ticket for the football here they can and they'll be perfectly welcome, and safe, in doing so.

Hmm, I think the problem for me would be the fact that it is such a huge discount, without any consideration, I understand giving discounts to Students, OAPs, unemployed, Children etc, but I am sure there are some in the Polish community that can afford to go to the football, likewise there are some in the non-Polish community that can't.

What they should have done is slashed the prices for all for one game, but focussed the marketing and advertising around the polish communities, or arranged a pre-season friendly against a Polish club*, or sign a Polish player (maybe Bath are a little small for that kind of initiative). Or just given away a handful of free tickets to the Polish community for every game. As well intentioned as it was I can understand how it would get other fan's backs up to have to pay 5 times as much just because they are not from Poland.

*This could be something Leicester could do to attract more Asian fans, get a pre-season friendly against the Indian national team.

i personally think its the fact that LEICESTER has a high asian population, however does this include other areas such as Birstall, Loughboro, and places like Market harbrough. fans from the whole of leicestershire support leicester city and in areas mentioned there are more white people there. also i know for a fact that most asians and few whites ARE glory hunters. i in fact only know one leicester supporter in my college from all my asian freinds and he's a PAP who barely turns up to games.

I really don't get glory-grabbing. If there's no real connection between me and a team from the other end of the country, what's the point in me supporting them? If glory-grabbers like their team to win so much, why don't they just change to whichever team happens to get the biggest win each week? And surely fans of Man Utd expect their team to win every match, so victory never means very much to them, and defeats are even more crushing. I bet it's hell being an Arse-anal or Chelsea fan atm. I wonder if there's a way to find out how many plastic fans Arse-anal are shedding at the mo? Maybe some of them will start supporting their local side instead, and actually get to finally see the team they support play.

I remember the first few matches I went to as a kid at Filbert Street my parents were very worried due to their memories of "English Hooliganism", fighting, racism, etc prevalent until very recently. Time will change things but it will still take a few more generations before "going to the footy" becomes a family activity.

I remember the first few matches I went to as a kid at Filbert Street my parents were very worried due to their memories of "English Hooliganism", fighting, racism, etc prevalent until very recently. Time will change things but it will still take a few more generations before "going to the footy" becomes a family activity.

That is a very good point, football grounds were at times not welcoming places, in the 70s and 80s when hooliganism was high and tolerance low, I can't imagine a lot of asian families would have been that enthusiastic about going to the footy.

Lots of Asians seem to PLAY football on Sat afternoons rather than watch it.

There's lots of Asian kids teams that play on Vicky Park, Evington Park etc.

One of my mates used to coach of the GNG teams and said the parents of the kids were the most friendly bunch you will ever meet.

I also wonder whether the perception of English Football as a white, working class sport remains?

I think the culture of football is changing, but very slowly.

There still seem to be very few Asian players breaking through the ranks of league clubs, let alone fans...

It does wind you up that so many tend to "support" the big 4 rather than go and follow their local team. I've never quite understood it. I know a lot of Asian mates in to football and I can only think of two that go and watch Leicester with a keen interest. The rest tend to sit at home and watch United, Liverpool or Arsenal on TV. Whilst it's not just Asians that glory-hunt, the percentage of them doing so is a lot higher.

A second point, given that club cricket crowds are so poor in the UK, it always baffles me that the Asian fans never watch county-cricket. They bring so many to games involving India or Pakistan yet don't follow their clubs. It's no secret that Cricket is massive in Pakistan and India, so I don't see why families don't try a day out at the T20 if the County leagues are too long winded.

A second point, given that club cricket crowds are so poor in the UK, it always baffles me that the Asian fans never watch county-cricket. They bring so many to games involving India or Pakistan yet don't follow their clubs. It's no secret that Cricket is massive in Pakistan and India, so I don't see why families don't try a day out at the T20 if the County leagues are too long winded.

they couldn't give a shit about England.

they couldn't give a shit about England.

I am going to take that as meaning that they have no cultural attachment to England or the City they live in, and still identify strongly with India, there are a large proportion that were born in India and then came to Leicester. With the constant bumming of the big four and European competions being the main live footy to watch on normal TV and if you have Sky Sports you will get even more big clubs rammed down your throat, it is not hard to see why any passing interest in football would result in supporting a big team, especially if their parents had no interest in footy and going to watch matches.

As for Cricket, would you go to many Indian football matches if you moved to India? Or would you be more tempted to go watch cricket instead of football because of the crazy atmosphere you get at Indian cricket matches?

Archived