Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pride_Of_The_Midlands

Do Leicester attract Asian fans?

I hate that fookin word!!! Preferred to be called British Sikh, Anglo Punjabi, my chinese, burmese, mongolian asian bredren have little or fook all to do with city. Majority of the brown people in leicester (denoted as asians on this forum) are from the indian sub continent.

I have to say, from my first days of watching city and now, there has been a massive difference, alot more brown people go, and it will ever increase. Yes, there is competition from premiership clubs, but that's with all supporters aswell. Financially watching city is expensive and will put alot of new supporters off

Typical asian watching the pennies. :D :D :D

I went to my first City game in 1978 whilst studying at an all-white primary school, and already smitten by the Jimmy Bloomfield team that my parents wouldn'tt allow me to go to..as a 9 year old asian kid, going alone would have been really dangerous in those days,

When I went to secondary school, however, EVERY SINGLE asian kid supported Liverpool. I'd wager that Liverpool FC have the HIGHEST asian fan base in the country bar none. There was one asian kid who supported Man United, but he moved to Leicester from Manchester, but apart from him, I was the only asian kid that didn't support Liverpool.

I'm curious what the draw to Liverpool would be for kids that live in Leicester, and at that time, City would more than give Liverpool a run for their money ( until Frank McLintock came and f****d it all up)

I think that went for most kids of that era regardless of ethnicity ..... I'm a similar age and was in a minority supporting Leicester at school - most supported Liverpool or Spurs .... and to be fair I probably would have if i hadn't got older brothers that wouldn't let me!!!!

It was just that those teams were the fashionable teams at the time - I guess the same as Man ute a few years ago and Chelsea and Man City now for kids just getting into football. If there's no strong connection through their family to a club then they'll decide for themselves - and let's face it - if you're going to decide for yourself you don't pick a mid table championship side over a title winning premier league side!?

I think that went for most kids of that era regardless of ethnicity ..... I'm a similar age and was in a minority supporting Leicester at school - most supported Liverpool or Spurs .... and to be fair I probably would have if i hadn't got older brothers that wouldn't let me!!!!

It was just that those teams were the fashionable teams at the time - I guess the same as Man ute a few years ago and Chelsea and Man City now for kids just getting into football. If there's no strong connection through their family to a club then they'll decide for themselves - and let's face it - if you're going to decide for yourself you don't pick a mid table championship side over a title winning premier league side!?

Where as no kid want's a loserpool shirt anymore. :D :D :D

Raj and Singhy are asian?!!

Not sure mate, I don't think they've ever mentioned it?

Seriously though, I think for a city like ours which has a high asian population it doesn't seem like it's proportionate in our ground. Teams like Arsenal seem to get a lot more minorities. Who cares though, this is no bad thing. I don't get the big deal over it.

• 4 weeks later...

Why Asian fans shun clubs like Oldham and Burnley

It is a freezing cold Sunday morning but that has not deterred the boys from Red Star Bengal from attending a football coaching session in Oldham.

The club was set up by members of the town's large Bangladeshi community in 1988 with the youngsters aged from seven to 14 and their dads passionate for "the beautiful game".

But that passion does not extend to their local club, Oldham Athletic.

Like other North West clubs outside the Premier League only about 1% of the home support comes from the town's Asian community, which makes up 20% of the local population.

It is a similar story in places like Burnley or Preston.

Interest in the game appears to be strong, dispelling myths that Asians neither like football nor play the game.

At Red Star Bengal's, Riazuddin, 12 said: "It's fun and you play with your friends. I'm better at football than cricket."

His friend, 14-year-old Nazman, added: "I've been coming for a couple of years now. I like playing with the older boys, it makes me feel good and I enjoy the football."

Shelim Islam, who brings his son with him to the session every week, said: "I'm very passionate about football, whether I'm playing or watching.

"It makes you very tense, there's just a buzz around it."

But according to Idrees Ali, a coach with the Red Star Bengal, there are several reasons why Indians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis do not go to matches at local clubs like Oldham.

"When you go back to the old days, there was a lot of issues around racism and I think some people still think an element of it still exists," he said.

"It is also expensive and a lot of our people work in restaurants and many are taxi drivers, so they have work commitments too."

A straw poll at Oldham's recent League One game against Hartlepool suggested there were no Asian fans in the 3,000 gate.

Club secretary Neil Joy believes this has less to do with racism than the presence of Premier League football in Manchester.

He said: "There are reasons why Asians don't come and one of them is that they are not used to going to football, although, a lot do support the Premier League clubs.

"Our fan base needs to reflect the community in which we operate, that is our ultimate objective."

Burnley's chief executive Lee Hoos believes in these cash-strapped times smaller clubs could have their revenue boosted by this untapped fan base.

"It is an important consideration, we need to engage with the community and we have started activities but we are in the early stages," he said.

"One of the suggestions that came to me was to take our staff to the mosque for diversity training.

"It's not about trying to get the community to come here, it's about us going out into the community."

Abdul Hamid, a member of Red Star Bengal, believes Oldham are doing a lot of good work with the community, but he has thrown out a challenge to the bosses who run the game.

"One day, when we have an Asian player at Latics, a lot of Asian people will flock to the club to support him."

I think the racism argument is a weak one in this case, the proximity of Man Utd will discourage many of them from going to watch Oldham play. I can't imagine there's any more racism to be seen at Boundary Park than there is at Old Trafford.

I understand why they choose United over Oldham, they've not had the football fan culture passed down to them by their parents so it's only natural as a child to watch the bigger teams given how much coverage they get - it's so easy to watch United play now whereas it wasn't before. This should change over time as the Asian community becomes more integrated with British culture. People will learn it's "wrong" to be a glory supporter.

I'm Asian, 19 and I only got a season ticket this year and have been to plenty of always. Went to a couple of games in the play off season and since then really Iv been hooked.

Before that, to be perfectly honest I couldn't give a shit about Leicester and that goes for me and every Asian I knew whilst growing up. At home everybody supported united or Liverpool, no one in our families went to the football, it was all just watched on tv and the only time I remember Leicester on the telly was the coca cola cup win under MON. Therefore that was all we knew football to be. It's only when I went to the first game of that play off season against Swansea and Danny N'guessan got the winner that I realised there was more to football than sitting at home, watching United play. Since that day, I literally have become embroiled in it all and three of my younger brothers all support Leicester too as they get the chance to come to games and from a young age, something I didn't get the chance to do.

I'm Asian, 19 and I only got a season ticket this year and have been to plenty of always. Went to a couple of games in the play off season and since then really Iv been hooked.

Before that, to be perfectly honest I couldn't give a shit about Leicester and that goes for me and every Asian I knew whilst growing up. At home everybody supported united or Liverpool, no one in our families went to the football, it was all just watched on tv and the only time I remember Leicester on the telly was the coca cola cup win under MON. Therefore that was all we knew football to be. It's only when I went to the first game of that play off season against Swansea and Danny N'guessan got the winner that I realised there was more to football than sitting at home, watching United play. Since that day, I literally have become embroiled in it all and three of my younger brothers all support Leicester too as they get the chance to come to games and from a young age, something I didn't get the chance to do.

Think we'll see a big difference in the next generation coming through then, with parents more and more likely to take their kids down to the football. Can only be a good thing!

I know this topic is more about Asians in Leicester but I'm travelling in Asia atm and the first tuk tuk driver I got after arriving in Bangkok airport knew the Leicester score which had been played at 3am that morning for them and told me everyone there knows and likes Leicester a lot

Sounds positive then

Archived