Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pride_Of_The_Midlands

Do Leicester attract Asian fans?

http://news.bbc.co.u...all/7912357.stm

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/7065780.stm

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/9026607.stm

http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/Print/24119.aspx#

Villa fan in peace.

Birmingham is a city with a high ethnic minority population with around 20% of people in the city being Asian.

Villa are located in Aston which is an inner-city mostly Asian part of Birmingham.

If you go to Villa Park on a matchday you will see that most of the local residents are Asian.

But once you go inside the stadium, you see next to no Asians - the vast majority are white.

I think I read a few years ago that Villa Park was 98% white, and this is in a city that is only around 65% white.

This is also the case with Blues being located in an inner-city mostly Asian part of Brum but most of their fans are white fans who come from the outlying suburbs.

This is obviously a problem with other clubs such as Bradford City and Luton Town as mentioned in the above BBC articles.

Is this also a problem for Leicester? Because Leicester is around 30% Asian.

In my experience, most British Asians (in Birmingham) are gloryhunters who support Man U or Liverpool and ignore the local clubs.

When I watched a Liverpool match at Anfield a few weeks ago, whenever the camera panned over the crowd I saw quite a few Asian faces and this in a city which is only 3% Asian.

The clubs are obviously trying to do something about it but I worry that they may be fighting a losing battle...

From what I see on a match day you do see a fair few "Asians" but usually it's a lad with his mates in there early 20's. Never see a family of "asians" or "Asian" couples going together. I do know a fair few Asian football fans (not all lcfc fans) and they just don't seem to go to games yet love the sport

Not really, worked with hundreds of Asians over the year and I think only a handful of them ever supported Leicester instead of a bigger premiership club.

Imagine most people here who go to the football started by being taken down to the ground by their Dad and then moved onto going with their mates etc, Asian parents from the 70's, 80's didnt generally seem to go to the football.

It's something I'd expect to see level out in time as you are starting to see a few younger Asian lads going football now and they will take their kids in the future etc etc and so on.

I'm not sure what percentage it is, but I know that Liverpool get a lot of tourist fans and sell a lot of tickets to travel agents who then flog a match as part of a package to the UK.

I also wouldn't want to say that Asian fans are glory hunters, but it is possible they don't feel the same connection to football and football loyalties, often football fandom is passed down from parents and grandparents and football and the club you support is a big part of your English identity, now this may not be as prevalent in second or thrid generation Englishmen, Asian or other ethnic background .

It's not only fans, the country as a whole has a high Asian population but very few, if any pro footballers. Not sure why, but could be a culture thing?

Asians parents don't generally see sport as a career thing I think, I played with a fantastic cricketer at school when I was younger who I still maintain could have been a professional but his parents were never letting him take that route. He was going to be a dentist and that was that for his Father.

That was cricket, so you can imagine what football would be like.

Asians parents don't generally see sport as a career thing I think, I played with a fantastic cricketer at school when I was younger who I still maintain could have been a professional but his parents were never letting him take that route. He was going to be a dentist and that was that for his Father.

You could have a point, Asians seem to be more business minded compared to other cultures in this country

The majority of my close mates are asian and only 1 is a Leicester fan, and that's come about more because of friends and not being able to see Utd who he also somehow supports.

I think they're all the first generation to be born here though so there's less connection to the place, whereas I suspect a majority of white people will have been introduced by family.

edit: not to mention that for many Indians Cricket and Hockey are head and shoulders above in terms of importance

I'm not sure what percentage it is, but I know that Liverpool get a lot of tourist fans and sell a lot of tickets to travel agents who then flog a match as part of a package to the UK.

I also wouldn't want to say that Asian fans are glory hunters, but it is possible they don't feel the same connection to football and football loyalties, often football fandom is passed down from parents and grandparents and football and the club you support is a big part of your English identity, now this may not be as prevalent in second or thrid generation Englishmen, Asian or other ethnic background .

Agree with this. As far as I'm concerned, I support Leicester not most because I'm from here. I support them firstly because my Dad was a Leicester fan and he took me to matches when I was young, and one at Wembley, which I think may have been significant. And also because it was something to do with my mates now and then when I was 15/16.

I get the impression that alot of Asian people love their cricket and maybe youngsters are encouraged to watch and play that, rather than football. There aren't many prominent Asian footballers and their countries don't do well at the World Cup.

When I am in town the majority of faces are Asian, but to be quite honest I see very very few of them at the football. I hope this changes as a lot of people live in Leicester and if more of the Asian community got involved in our club we could have a really big fanbase in years to come.

Some Asian families may have only been living in England for the last few generations but as time goes on they may become more English in culture, leading to more of them taking an interest in football.

I went to my first City game in 1978 whilst studying at an all-white primary school, and already smitten by the Jimmy Bloomfield team that my parents wouldn'tt allow me to go to..as a 9 year old asian kid, going alone would have been really dangerous in those days,

When I went to secondary school, however, EVERY SINGLE asian kid supported Liverpool. I'd wager that Liverpool FC have the HIGHEST asian fan base in the country bar none. There was one asian kid who supported Man United, but he moved to Leicester from Manchester, but apart from him, I was the only asian kid that didn't support Liverpool.

I'm curious what the draw to Liverpool would be for kids that live in Leicester, and at that time, City would more than give Liverpool a run for their money ( until Frank McLintock came and f****d it all up)

You could have a point, Asians seem to be more business minded compared to other cultures in this country

It's not only fans, the country as a whole has a high Asian population but very few, if any pro footballers. Not sure why, but could be a culture thing?

dentsitry pays a heck of a lot more than cricket does!

dentsitry pays a heck of a lot more than cricket does!

6 weeks work in the IPL paid this in 2011............let me know what Dentistry course you did!!

Gautam Gambhir (India) Kolkata Knight Riders, $2.4 million

Yusuf Pathan (India) Kolkata Knight Riders, $2.1 million

Robin Uthappa (India) Pune Warriors, $2.1 million

Rohit Sharma (India) Mumbai Indians, $2 million

Irfan Pathan (India) Delhi Daredevils, $1.9 million

Yuvraj Singh (India) Pune Warriors, $1.8million

Mahela Jayawardene (Sri Lanka) Kochi, $1.5 million

Dale Steyn (South Africa) Deccan Chargers, $1.2million

AB de Villiers (South Africa), Royal Challengers Bangalore, $1.1 million

Cameron White (Australia), Deccan Chargers, $1.1 million

serious? less than 5% of this country is ''asian''...hardly a 'high' asian population.

It is a culture thing and it isn't...I was a pretty decent player when I was a kid, easily better than most of the kids on the school team but the games teacher would never ever ever allow me to play for the school..even if some kid was ill or something, and even if his captain pleased with him to play me. At that age in my life, I was kinda blind to the REAL reason as to why I couldn't play for the school team..but I did ask in my innocence if you needed to be 'white' to play for the school football team.

6 weeks work in the IPL pays this............let me know what Dentistry course you did!!

Gautam Gambhir (India) Kolkata Knight Riders, $2.4 million

Yusuf Pathan (India) Kolkata Knight Riders, $2.1 million

Robin Uthappa (India) Pune Warriors, $2.1 million

Rohit Sharma (India) Mumbai Indians, $2 million

Irfan Pathan (India) Delhi Daredevils, $1.9 million

Yuvraj Singh (India) Pune Warriors, $1.8million

Mahela Jayawardene (Sri Lanka) Kochi, $1.5 million

Dale Steyn (South Africa) Deccan Chargers, $1.2million

AB de Villiers (South Africa), Royal Challengers Bangalore, $1.1 million

Cameron White (Australia), Deccan Chargers, $1.1 million

nice work if you can get it :-)..cricket or dentistry! but i do know dentists who make close to a million a year...but not for 6 weeks work!

serious? less than 5% of this country is ''asian''...hardly a 'high' asian population.

It is a culture thing and it isn't...I was a pretty decent player when I was a kid, easily better than most of the kids on the school team but the games teacher would never ever ever allow me to play for the school..even if some kid was ill or something, and even if his captain pleased with him to play me. At that age in my life, I was kinda blind to the REAL reason as to why I couldn't play for the school team..but I did ask in my innocence if you needed to be 'white' to play for the school football team.

It may be 5% by the 2001 census but not anymore. Plus, as the vast majority of football stadiums are in City Centres where the Asian population is high you would expect more.

To be honest, I don't care how many fans of each ethnic background we have, as long as we have fans.

It may be 5% by the 2001 census but not anymore. Plus, as the vast majority of football stadiums are in City Centres where the Asian population is high you would expect more.

To be honest, I don't care how many fans of each ethnic background we have, as long as we have fans.

"LIKE"

Archived