Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
RonnieTodger

One Direction "officially better than The Beatles?" My Arse!

Look at my favourite artists. The Beatles, The Who, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones, Marc Bolan, David Bowie, Bob Dylan etc. Notice a pattern? They all worked from the bottom, they all wrote their own music, they all play instruments and they all sing live (not with a microphone in their ear that plays music for them).

If anything that just shows that you mainly like music from the 60's and 70's.

Not saying there's anything wrong with what you said, but it always strikes me as a strange attitude to take about music. I don't get people who harp on about "proper" music (which usually boils down to said person describing old, guitar based stuff...), when in fact the only thing that should matter is whether you like a song or you don't. Doesn't really matter who it was written by or who performs it.

Just for the record, anyone who thinks One Direction are "officially better" than The Beatles is a moron. Even if you prefer One Direction's music, in terms of measurable success The Beatles obviously outshine them. This doesn't even need debating, quite frankly!

Although saying that, Cliff Richard has had 14 UK No.1s, so obviously the general public cannot be trusted... :ph34r:

Beatles are overrated...

This does my head in. Not just with The Beatles, but with most music. Why can't someone have a favorite band without somebody else trying to tell them they are overrated?

But just because you mentioned it, I'll say...

The Beatles inspired other artists to write their own songs. They changed the artist/producer relationship in the studio, and the way music in the studio was made. They made an instant impact on music, something that is being felt even as we speak. They changed the way people perceive groups, by not having the standard front man with a backing group. They inspired other musicians to use certain instruments. They inspired other bands and artists to speak their minds about the relevant issues of the day. They helped to change the perception of rock from being a collection of songs to a work of art. They unofficially made English the language of rock and roll (thus inspiring many overseas musicians to learn English). Lennon and McCartney were among the first songwriters to have a stake in the publishing of their songs. The Beatles helped to inspire other groups to create their own record labels. They brought the music of India to the west by being the first Western musical act to use Indian instruments on their records (referring back to using certain instruments). They were the ones who created music videos (though other artists like Queen, Michael Jackson,and Duran Duran took it and perfected it to a great extent). They Revolutionized Rock. And they even sang backwards towards the end of the B-Side song "Rain".

Away from music, they were outspoken. They redefined what it meant to be an International celebrity, and made it fashionable for boys and men to have longer hair, something I know have because of The Beatles.

The Beatles were a phenomenon in the 60's, the 70's and after they broke up, which was about 40 years ago. That says it all. The Beatles are still remembered today, still talked about today, and are still influencing artists to this day. Without doubt, all four Beatles were multi-talented, skilled, outspoken and influential. So, measure those three skills to whatever extent you like.

At the end of the day it is a matter of opinion, but over 40 number ones and over a billion records sold, says it all. What can't speak, can't lie.

This does my head in. Not just with The Beatles, but with most music. Why can't someone have a favorite band without somebody else trying to tell them they are overrated?

But just because you mentioned it, I'll say...

The Beatles inspired other artists to write their own songs. They changed the artist/producer relationship in the studio, and the way music in the studio was made. They made an instant impact on music, something that is being felt even as we speak. They changed the way people perceive groups, by not having the standard front man with a backing group. They inspired other musicians to use certain instruments. They inspired other bands and artists to speak their minds about the relevant issues of the day. They helped to change the perception of rock from being a collection of songs to a work of art. They unofficially made English the language of rock and roll (thus inspiring many overseas musicians to learn English). Lennon and McCartney were among the first songwriters to have a stake in the publishing of their songs. The Beatles helped to inspire other groups to create their own record labels. They brought the music of India to the west by being the first Western musical act to use Indian instruments on their records (referring back to using certain instruments). They were the ones who created music videos (though other artists like Queen, Michael Jackson,and Duran Duran took it and perfected it to a great extent). They Revolutionized Rock. And they even sang backwards towards the end of the B-Side song "Rain".

Away from music, they were outspoken. They redefined what it meant to be an International celebrity, and made it fashionable for boys and men to have longer hair, something I know have because of The Beatles.

The Beatles were a phenomenon in the 60's, the 70's and after they broke up, which was about 40 years ago. That says it all. The Beatles are still remembered today, still talked about today, and are still influencing artists to this day. Without doubt, all four Beatles were multi-talented, skilled, outspoken and influential. So, measure those three skills to whatever extent you like.

At the end of the day it is a matter of opinion, but over 40 number ones and over a billion records sold, says it all. What can't speak, can't lie.

It also can't tell the truth. Thought I'd just throw that out there.

The Beatles are average.

Repeat the following 19 times - "Naaa Naaa Naaa Na Na Na Naaaaaaaaaaaaa Na Na Na Naaaaaaaa Hey Ho" or whatever it is?! What the hell is that? It's just a noise. I was writing and performing better songs than that on the playground at junior school when I was 8, with a stick, a bin lid, a triangle and two 9 year old female backing singers.

And as for playing your own instruments - that's overrated. A guitar is just a piece of wood, plastic or metal with 6 or 4 strings on it that you twang with your fingers. Anyone can learn to do that with a bit of practice. Guitar players are ten a penny.

Drums are just empty bins with a bit of pig skin attached to the top that you bang with a stick. Again, anyone can do that with a bit of practice and drummers are ten a penny.

Yes, some people can make good sounds with them, but those people get far too much respect if you ask me!

East 17 FTW

They redefined what it meant to be an International celebrity, and made it fashionable for boys and men to have longer hair, something I know have because of The Beatles.

I've got longer hair now for the first time since the 80's when I was a kid. Mine's influenced by a combination of Shadrach Dingle and Steve Seagal though and not the Lennster.

That said, a few of my views might have been influenced by the Lenn. Love that quote of his about the world being run by insane people for insane objectives. He knew what's poppin for sure.

And as for playing your own instruments - that's overrated. A guitar is just a piece of wood, plastic or metal with 6 or 4 strings on it that you twang with your fingers. Anyone can learn to do that with a bit of practice. Guitar players are ten a penny.

I'm living proof that that's not true.

• 2 weeks later...

The Beatles are average.

Repeat the following 19 times - "Naaa Naaa Naaa Na Na Na Naaaaaaaaaaaaa Na Na Na Naaaaaaaa Hey Ho" or whatever it is?! What the hell is that? It's just a noise. I was writing and performing better songs than that on the playground at junior school when I was 8, with a stick, a bin lid, a triangle and two 9 year old female backing singers.

Drums are just empty bins with a bit of pig skin attached to the top that you bang with a stick. Again, anyone can do that with a bit of practice and drummers are ten a penny.

Yes, some people can make good sounds with them, but those people get far too much respect if you ask me!

East 17 FTW

Comparing East 17 to the Beatles? :crylaugh:

I have now realised that every artist that seems to become something, get compared to The Beatles. 'Ohh, these are the next Beatles'. Well, thats a credit to The Beatles anyway. Many artists have been named 'next Beatles', but nobody has ever lived up to it.

In fact, The Beatles were once asked who the next Beatles will be and they replied Marc Bolan/T Rex. It's just a shame he died aged 30 a couple of years later.

Remember the Beatles achieved so much in so little, they weren't around for 10 years.

The Beatles are average.

East 17 FTW

I agree some songs are repetative, McCartney songs more than anything else, if you listen to them and study them. Yes 'Hey Jude' does go on, but that doesn't take away other songs. For example, 'A Day In The Life' is a masterpiece, one of the greatest songs ever written. The story behind that is genius.

As for your comment on instruments, what the? I play guitar and they are hard to learn, and difficult to master, especially singing at the same time. Putting a musician down because he plays an instrument is ridiculous.

Coldplay all the way. smashes both of them.

All Coldplay's music sounds the same, in my opinion.

I don't like the beatles.... that's better

I also think the changed the face of music thing is often over used I personally think many other bands and songs have had a bigger influence on the sound of music especially the music I listen to.

personally I think Robert Johnson changed music more than the beatles, without robert johnson you would have had no Beatles. In my opinion you can trace everything from blues musicians likeRobert Johnson.

seriously this was from 1936, and personally I reckon you can hear a little of every band from the next 50 years especially the beatles

without the likes of Robert Johnson you would have no chuck berry (who influenced the beatles) no Elvis, no rolling stones, no Zeppelin

personally shifting bucket loads of records doesn't make you good or bad it just means you have a great marketing and management team behind you

The Beatles are not average. On the scale of great to awful popular music, you'll find plenty behind them, and not much ahead of them. For every famous band you find that were better than the Beatles, you'll find at least a hundred other famous bands that were worse.

I take it you're a great guitarist and drummer, then?

Not really sure how serious you're being, but that's a pretty simplistic critique. It's easy to make anything sound rubbish doing that.

Internal combustion engine? Just a metal box that makes a racket and turns a bit.

Beethoven? Just the sound of some idiots rubbing strings. Beethovens are ten a penny.

Leonardo da Vinci? Just a bit of canvas with a splash of paint on top. Leonardo da Vincis are ten a penny.

Computers? Just a bit of plastic and metal with a screen attached.

Phones? Just a thing that you put near your face and say things into.

Cars? Just a big box that you get in and they roll you around a bit.

Music? It's just a load of sounds. Rubbish!

Exactly. Spot on.

OH...... MY..... GOD!!!!!

one direction are in OZ... OMG OMG OMG!!!! it is beatlemania....or Rollermania...or abbamania.... etc etc.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainment/one-direction-fans-invade-martin-place-for-sunrise-interview/story-e6fredpu-1226323454989

haha and boy the kids have to suffer here....

Not one wink of sleep was had by any of the 'Directioner' fan base as the temperature dropped to 12 degrees and a chilling breeze swept through the city.

"This is just a big slumber party," Bec Szabo, 14, from Maroubra said. "Coffee, Red Bull, just running around being crazy, and One Direction. Those are the things that keep me awake."

"My fingers are nearly falling off because its so cold," she said. "I'm wearing three pairs of socks, leg warmers, and I'm wearing jeans, stupidly, with holes in them."

Archived