Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Jollie

Defensive Central Midfielder

Just seen some free agents who are defensive minded midfielders

Danny Guthrie, Paul Scharner, Diame, Hendry Thomas

Any one of them will be fine for us if we can attract them

I wouldn't say Guthrie was a defensive midfielder, but I'd take Scharner or Diame. Thomas isn't good enough in my opinion.

I'm not sure we need an old fashioned defensive midfielder, we just need a couple of players who are box to box and can put their foot in when needed.

James seems to bill himself like that and Danns definitely is.

I'm not sure we need an old fashioned defensive midfielder, we just need a couple of players who are box to box and can put their foot in when needed.

We do need one, when teams counter attack us at will we struggle big time, we need a midfielder to be brutal force in the centre of the park, unless we have a forward that has got good hold up play and neither Beckford or Nugent to a lesser extent have that, it invites more pressure, priority should be a defensive midfielder along with a winger or two.

We do need one, when teams counter attack us at will we struggle big time

Hence the point about having two box to box players who can put a foot in. We don't have that as Wellens is not box to box and King doesn't put a foot in.

Hence the point about having two box to box players who can put a foot in. We don't have that as Wellens is not box to box and King doesn't put a foot in.

That's a good point I wondered whether we will go down the route of bringing in a defensive midfielder but like you say i think we will just have box to box players. Pearson tends to sign players that can do more than one job and do them well and as much as wellens has got the blame for a lot last season, a lot he had no control over, I do think we needed somebody like him but younger and fitter so hopefully Matty James can fit that bill.

Wellens isn't a bad player , the last year or so he's just dropped in terms of fitness and is more than happy for everything to come to feet rather than go looking for space and finding those angles, but I agree he doesn't put his foot in as much as is needed.

So it all depend on whose in pearsons plans obviously, I can't see wellens playing as much but I can see him being here next season as well as king, so those two plus drinkwater,danns and James, still think we need a defensive mid? Or even one more geared towards attacking? I suppose it depends on what shape Pearson is going to want to use too as with drinkwater and marshall in particular there is a lot of room for manoeuvre and could create some serious problems going forward so would we still need that 'stopper' ?

That's a good point I wondered whether we will go down the route of bringing in a defensive midfielder but like you say i think we will just have box to box players. Pearson tends to sign players that can do more than one job and do them well and as much as wellens has got the blame for a lot last season, a lot he had no control over, I do think we needed somebody like him but younger and fitter so hopefully Matty James can fit that bill.

Wellens isn't a bad player , the last year or so he's just dropped in terms of fitness and is more than happy for everything to come to feet rather than go looking for space and finding those angles, but I agree he doesn't put his foot in as much as is needed.

So it all depend on whose in pearsons plans obviously, I can't see wellens playing as much but I can see him being here next season as well as king, so those two plus danns and James, still think we need a defensive mid? Or even one more geared towards attacking?

I was hoping that would be the case because we have enough box to box midfielders James ( he said in his interview), Drinkwater, Danns and King. We need a playmaker or a defensive midfielder ideally.

I was hoping that would be the case because we have enough box to box midfielders James ( he said in his interview), Drinkwater, Danns and King. We need a playmaker or a defensive midfielder ideally.

Definitely but like I said it all depend on how Pearson wants us to play. If we are goin to stick to a rigid 4-4-2 then the focus will need to be on the wide men. But as much as I hate putting unnecessary pressure on players I think Marshall could be that 'playmaker'. You look at the teams that went up and they all had different style, the winning mentality but all different! Southampton had the likes of lallana, guly etc but had hammond and cork to shut things down I think the basic platform we have is looking good but I can't see us signing any more central midfielder can you? Unless of course there are any departures! So I suppose this is the time some will come out and ask for bamba to be that 'DM' , I'm not too keen to be honest.

Bamba is not good enough to be a DM he has a good touch and skill.. for a defender! but for a DM its way off! just want a DM who does the basic's nothing to fancy just does the simple things right.

Agree. Doesn't have to be a 'sitter', more someone like Nolan at WHU. Steel rather than out an out DM.

Agree. Doesn't have to be a 'sitter', more someone like Nolan at WHU. Steel rather than out an out DM.

I can think of better examples than Nolan. He's quite lazy and often deployed behind the striker. He's hardly box to box

I'm a bit torn on this. I like a 'sitter' in front of the back five, who's job is simply to win the ball and to lay it off to the more creative players.

Lennon did this job beautifully.

The problem with a box to box midfielder is that they can stray forward too often, unless they are really disciplined.

I'd still go for a midfield 'sitter' I think.

I don't think Pearson will go for this type of player though, preferring midfielders who do do more than one job.

I'm a bit torn on this. I like a 'sitter' in front of the back five, who's job is simply to win the ball and to lay it off to the more creative players.

Lennon did this job beautifully.

The problem with a box to box midfielder is that they can stray forward too often, unless they are really disciplined.

I'd still go for a midfield 'sitter' I think.

I don't think Pearson will go for this type of player though, preferring midfielders who do do more than one job.

Spot on Col . :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Archived