Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

League Cup - First Round - Away to Torquay.

I have a feeling that the Fleetwood-Forest game will be televised live on SS.

Well Oldham v Sheffield Wednesday is televised on the Monday so I imagine they would have to televise a round from the Southern section?

Well Oldham v Sheffield Wednesday is televised on the Monday so I imagine they would have to televise a round from the Southern section?

Swindon v Brighton is the Southern Section game being televised on the Tuesday.

They are both worse ties than ours.

Yet I'd say ours is worse than Fleetwood v Forest.

Very odd choices to say the least, not complaining but it wouldn't have made a great deal of difference.

I think with this being our opener, a terrace, a new ground for 90% of our fans, then we could well take a good 1,500 to this even if it is a Midweek trek.

Although I reckon our first game will dictate that a little, if we get a big away day then it'll lower the crowd for our trip to Torquay.

Delighted though I really am, best tie we've had in this since Accrington. Will be there.

Leicester City are set for their first-ever visit to Torquay United after they were drawn away to the League Two side in the first round of the League Cup, now known as the Capital One Cup.

City have faced Torquay only once in their history, in January 1971, when they beat the Gulls 3-0 in a FA Cup fourth-round tie at Filbert Street.

Len Glover, Malcolm Partridge and Graham Cross were the scorers that day as City went on to reach the sixth round.

They may have met only once, but Torquay do have a link to City through former manager Frank O'Farrell.

The Irishman was the Gulls' boss when they won promotion to Division Three in 1966 and took them close to Division Two on a couple of occasions before he took over as manager at Filbert Street in 1968.

In a quirk of fate, he was in charge of City during that Cup victory against Torquay in 1971.

O'Farrell went on to manage Manchester United, but he returned to take over the reins at Plainmoor two more times before the end of his coaching career.

There is a lucky omen from that 1971 meeting as, that season, City went on to earn promotion to the old First Division, an achievement Nigel Pearson's side are aspiring to replicate this season.

While the league will be Pearson's priority, City have a strong history in the League Cup having reached five finals.

They were winners in 1964, 1997 and 2000, and runners-up in 1965 and 1999.

Martin Ling's Torquay will also be hoping the fixture will prove a valuable test of their own promotion credentials as they finished fifth in League Two last season and were knocked out of the play-offs by Cheltenham Town, and will now be hoping to push for an automatic promotion spot.

The tie at Torquay's Plainmoor ground, which holds 6,104, will be played during the week starting August 13, the week before their Championship campaign kicks off.

Only 6104 capacity so those hoping to go had better be priority 1.

Shame it's not a weekend, we'd sell the whole place.

I predict between 1k and 1.5k, which is probably more than they'll get down there this season other than Plymouth, Exeter and maybe Bristol Rovers.

Archived