Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

The Very First Thing You Hear.

This is a real "bar stool philosophy" thread. There's no wrong or right answers, but I think it's a interesting thought to mull over that I have pondered on several times, but which I'm sure the vast majority of you will have never considered.

As many of you will know, my wife is profoundly deaf, but I've often wondered to myself, if she were to wake up one day and miraculously be able to hear, what peice of music would I rush off to play whilst announcing, "you HAVE GOT too hear this!"?

I still don't have an answer. Would it be something wonderfully intricate and involving like some classical music (I use the term losely) or some music that means something to me, or something that I associate with her, something that is a complete wall of sound or a simple, little, beautiful ditty to ease her in?

So it's purely hypothetical, but if you were in a similar situation, which tune would you chose? This is more than a "what's your favourite track?" thread, it's more complex than that and I'm hoping for some interesting answers that might jog me closer to actually deciding myself. Of course it's hypothetical, but all the best conundrums are.

post horn gallop

Can your wife hear "absolutely nothing" Trav ?

One of my girls is profoundly deaf but she can hear music with aids.

My grand daughter ( also profoundly deaf) has recently had cochlear implants and i'm fairly sure she can hear music now

post horn gallop

Can your wife hear "absolutely nothing" Trav ?

One of my girls is profoundly deaf but she can hear music with aids.

My grand daughter ( also profoundly deaf) has recently had cochlear implants and i'm fairly sure she can hear music now

Yup, not a thing, pretty much since birth too - they found she was deaf at 1 year old.

Here's the original by Gershwin. It's a great, timeless piece of music :thumbup:

I like the Larry Adler version, I looked for it specially. The original is great too though.

I think any deaf person on hearing this for the first time would rip their ears off.

In all seriousness it would be a good idea, from then on their ears would only ever be pleasantly surprised.

I would suggest something like this:

My reason is that it is lovely but not overwhelming as a first experience. Building up to more stirring stuff like:

[media}

before going to something more rousing like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg0YXxcn6Ec

and it also introduces a different genre.

well that didnt work, the middle one was meant to be The Pearl Fishers Duet.

I'd probably listen to an assortment of genres, figure out what I like the best and then find relevant artists and then listen to them

I think you've missed the point. >_<

Archived