Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MooseBreath

Deeply uninspiring summary so far - brought to you by Captain Shrapnel

Personally I am really looking forward for the season to start, simply because the players who have had come in so far are an unknown quantity to most of us. We have no idea what they will play like together ( neither do they ) but they are young and ambitious and if nothing else will be a complete contrast to last years players.

I'm sure there will be a couple more additions before the kick off , so if nothing else it will be very interesting to see how it all pans out.

Until we see how they play I can't see any reason to be either negative or positive , it's far to early for the boo boys and equally far to early to get excited. What will be will be lets just look forward to it.

Excellent...... :clap:

Though I will add that I think there is one decent reason to be positive, NFP ia getting in players that he likes and thinks can do the job for us. They may not look, at this stage, like worldbeaters but we know what NFP can do in this league with a group of decent players who 'buy into' his style and team ethic.

Just remember, NFP got a side of moderately talented players to the playoffs and had we not had some bad luck (Cleverley's injury, Brown 'coming out' as a 'racist' the day before the first playoff game) we could well have gone up!...... :trumpet:

I may criticise NFP for a number of things but I am also well aware that his two seasons with us were the most successful in modern times and achieved on a budget much lower than he has currently.

Reasons to be cheerful........ :thumbup:

The club is being sensible, we're neither "rags nor riches". Since Pearson went to Hull any balance went well and truely out the window, we couldn't carry on like that. The owners are not the "richest in the league" and they aren't stupid, they know it needed reigning in a bit because of different factors including FFP on the horizon.

We've shifted huge sums out since Christmas in wages, and a few quid from fees also, that's freed up what we've spent this summer.

There might be a few decent signings to come, but it's likely they will coincide with an out here and there as we aren't going to collect players like stickers this year.

Expectations for some fans may be lower, but they are now where they should be. People got carried away last year expecting us to walk the league.

I'm not really sure why you're quoting me, it was 5waller5 who said we had the richest owners in the league not me, I was arguing that we hadn't gone from riches to rags (which is what Col city fan said) which is pretty much what you're doing. The point I was trying to make is that you can't question their commitment or suggest that we should have significintly lower expectations when they've already spent £3,000,000 this summer which isn't that far off what they had spent at this stage last year. I know we are cutting costs to some extent and I'm happy we're doing so, but he was talking like we have no money left when we've already spent a pretty decent amount of money this summer. Just seemed a bit unfair to ignore the substantial sum of money we've already spent this year, a lot more than most Championship clubs.

I have my doubts.

So do I as I have seen few of them play...... ;)

But to suggest at this stage that they will not improve on the shambles of last season is, to me, deeply pessimistic....... :dunno:

I'm not really sure why you're quoting me, it was 5waller5 who said we had the richest owners in the league not me, I was arguing that we hadn't gone from riches to rags (which is what Col city fan said) which is pretty much what you're doing. The point I was trying to make is that you can't question their commitment or suggest that we should have significintly lower expectations when they've already spent £3,000,000 this summer which isn't that far off what they had spent at this stage last year. I know we are cutting costs to some extent and I'm happy we're doing so, but he was talking like we have no money left when we've already spent a pretty decent amount of money this summer. Just seemed a bit unfair to ignore the substantial sum of money we've already spent this year, a lot more than most Championship clubs.

Don't worry Marky Mark... I quoted you as you were the last post in the thread! I was agreeing with you rather than saying it was you that said those things, it was just hard to express that through quoting all the correct people on my phone!

Don't worry Marky Mark... I quoted you as you were the last post in the thread! I was agreeing with you rather than saying it was you that said those things, it was just hard to express that through quoting all the correct people on my phone!

Ah ok, fair enough. Sorry I was so defensive.

Unless the new signings have improved the team already.

Or the departures. Can't really say without knowing exactly what went on with Mills. :dunno:

Unless the new signings have improved the team already.

Exactly. I think too many people are upset over us losing 2 of our more high-profile players (Mills, Bamba) and forgetting that they didn't actually provide much positive help last season. And on paper we have let a fair few others go, which looks bad if you're not replacing them. But again - many of these barely played at all last season, and if they're not replaced it means savings in wage bills and a bit more financial stability which is great. Coupled with that, we've signed Vardy (a hungry new striker with an outstanding track record - regardless of league, he knows how to score); De Laet, James and Futacs could all prove to be worthy new additions too. We also have Marshall from the start of this season, who I think will play even better than last season given the summer to properly train with the squad. Danns is back from injury, and I think his pace would have helped the last few games of last season.

Personally I see a lot of positives and not really any negatives. Time will tell, but I'll be amazed if we end up lower than 9th come the end of the season.

Exactly. I think too many people are upset over us losing 2 of our more high-profile players (Mills, Bamba) and forgetting that they didn't actually provide much positive help last season. And on paper we have let a fair few others go, which looks bad if you're not replacing them. But again - many of these barely played at all last season, and if they're not replaced it means savings in wage bills and a bit more financial stability which is great. Coupled with that, we've signed Vardy (a hungry new striker with an outstanding track record - regardless of league, he knows how to score); De Laet, James and Futacs could all prove to be worthy new additions too. We also have Marshall from the start of this season, who I think will play even better than last season given the summer to properly train with the squad. Danns is back from injury, and I think his pace would have helped the last few games of last season.

Personally I see a lot of positives and not really any negatives. Time will tell, but I'll be amazed if we end up lower than 9th come the end of the season.

Woo, 9th!! That should make for another exciting season.

Every signing is a risk, the cheap unknowns may not prove to be good enough but if they do prove successful they are either here for the longer term or provide a profit if moved on where as the expensive experienced ones may also fail, and we've seen plenty that have they are also much harder to recover from saddling the club with a long term financial drain and difficult to get rid of.

Success cannot be guaranteed which ever option or mix you go for the current team seems to me to be a decent mix of both whether they are the right mix only time will tell.

Woo, 9th!! That should make for another exciting season.

I said I'll be amazed if we're lower than 9th. I'm expecting top six, or just edged out of the playoffs on goal difference. Basically, I believe we'll have a better season than last based on the improvement of form after Pearson's comeback, the riddance of Mills, and the new signings, among other factors.

Oh yeah, quality is a given - I would never expect the club to sign players who weren't good enough to play for the side! I think sometimes though, you can have players who have less quality, but with the right attitude they can perform very well. If you look at the defence we had for Pearson's first season back in the Championship - Morrison, Hobbs, Brown, Berner - it's not a backline packed with quality, but that defence was better than any combination we've had since then and that's because they were organised, dedicated and - most of all - they all had a very good attitude.

Obviously quality is absolutely paramount, but attitude is definitely second to that.

The thing is, it's clear to me they do have the quality too. Maybe not in the most fashionable way but Wayne Brown's defending was quality, it was horrendous to watch if you're into your tique-taca Barca like football, but he was quality at what he did.

The same with Hobbs, Berner and Morrison, I'm not taking their attitude away for one second but they also clearly had some quality, otherwise they wouldn't have done so well.

To be honest I was proud of all 4 of them, immensely proud, completely outdid their own expectations and it's such a shame they were split up. Best back 4 we've had probably since the Prem, as a unit.

Oh yeah, quality is a given - I would never expect the club to sign players who weren't good enough to play for the side! I think sometimes though, you can have players who have less quality, but with the right attitude they can perform very well. If you look at the defence we had for Pearson's first season back in the Championship - Morrison, Hobbs, Brown, Berner - it's not a backline packed with quality, but that defence was better than any combination we've had since then and that's because they were organised, dedicated and - most of all - they all had a very good attitude.

Obviously quality is absolutely paramount, but attitude is definitely second to that.

I agree, it's good to have both quality players with a good attitude, but who do people think would come out on top of these two combinations?

Team A - Some average/good players, each with a great attitude who understand their jobs and work great as a team.

Team B - Some good/great players, each with a poor attitude who all prefer to play as individuals rather than for the good of the team.

An example of team A would maybe be Greece when they won the Euros. An example of Team B would maybe be the French national team of recent tournaments.

I would take team A any day of the week.

Can a mod please correct the spelling mistake in the thread title, it is really starting to annoy me, I know it is a good indicator of the quality of the opening post, but it is quite annoying, thanks.

I'm not sure I deserve the credit for the thread, but thanks for correcting unispiring.

Archived