Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MooseBreath

Deeply uninspiring summary so far - brought to you by Captain Shrapnel

"Very good" were they really very good though?

This "can't handle" stuff is just utter nonsense. Vassell has been out injured, Pantsil vanished before Pearson even arrived, Bamba played when available, the only one with question marks is Mills. A man Reading fans despised for being a bit of a cock end, and we'll never know what happened.

Would explain why you were always moaning.

It comes across to me that Pearson cant handle people who stand up, the numbers of fallings out there are, obviously none of us can truely know what happens behind the scenes but imo Pearson wants yes men only.

They would all definately be very good at this level. Granted yes Pantsil was out of favour but Peltier went through a stage of awful performances yet a player choosen in best ACON XI wasnt tried. Mills is good and i feel he will prove this at Bolton and vassell was missing all of last year after that injury at West Ham, with him going we are left with just dyer who will run at people. As for bamba he was eratic but when he just defended he did have a presence about him

It comes across to me that Pearson cant handle people who stand up, the numbers of fallings out there are, obviously none of us can truely know what happens behind the scenes but imo Pearson wants yes men only.

They would all definately be very good at this level. Granted yes Pantsil was out of favour but Peltier went through a stage of awful performances yet a player choosen in best ACON XI wasnt tried. Mills is good and i feel he will prove this at Bolton and vassell was missing all of last year after that injury at West Ham, with him going we are left with just dyer who will run at people. As for bamba he was eratic but when he just defended he did have a presence about him

Where do I start with this one?

I think Pearson likes players that can stand up, falling over only works if you are Ashley Young.

Pearson has got rid of around 20 players since coming in, I'm not going to miss any of them, except Bamba, but I understand why he let him go, the fact that he has been able to get rid of so many shows how bloated our squad was, of course some may have been good at this level, but we don't want to be at this level, we want players that can play above this level, I'm sure that has been in NP's mind when making young signings which he can mould into players that are good at a higher level.

If Pearson only likes yes men, then how is Beckford still at the club?

Vassell, past it and injury prone, and I didn't see him running at too many people in the last 18 months, we also have Marshall who will run at people and take them on, not to mention some new players who may also do that, you don't know because you haven't seen them play yet, me neither. We also have time to bring a few more players to replace those that under performed for us last season.

I really don't understand the panic.

Ok, we have a great club in financial good health with an ambitious and tactically aware young manager, an experienced and only motivated by success board and a squad of talented exciting players who would play for nothing if it meant they could wear a City shirt. Our fans are balanced people who never boo their own team, even when struggling at home, something we rarely do because our manager always digs us out of trouble and has the lads play to the death.

Crikey and people thought I was bad. :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:

What fallings out? The only facts we are aware of are that each and every player (including Mills) said that there was no falling out. Maybe there was, maybe there wasn't. But using is as a stick to beat someone when you don't have any proof they even happened seems nonsensical.

imo Pearson wants yes men only.

You'd rather we have players who don't do as the manager asks?

They would all definately be very good at this level.

But they weren't for us were they? No ifs or buts, no guess work needed, on the field they were all average. I wish they hadn't been, but they were. Our starting 11 is currently missing Bamba, that's it. So the team that showed play off form post Christmas has lost one starter and gained possibly 3 so far.

Pantsil - kept out of the team by Peltier - at best a very average right back - and Moore, an untested youngster. Pearson said when he came in that everyone would get a clean slate. Even players he'd 'fallen out with' featured regularly in the side. He's either completely passed it, or there are other reasons why he wasn't in the side. Either way, he will not be remotely missed.

Mills - Shite from his first game to his last. It didn't work out for him under Sven, it didn't work out for him under Pearson. People say he's underrated and seem to be clinging to the idea that, somewhere, deep down, is a class defender - he's not. Another one who is, at best, average. If you add to that his poor disciplinary record and his reported attitude problems then he's another I won't miss. People keep saying 'Pearson can't handle players with attitudes' - good! Bomb those arseholes out of the club. No one man is bigger than the team and I wouldn't want a manager to pander to the players and massage their egos. The boss is the boss, end of story.

Vassell - wasn't bad before his injury, but he's getting on and suffered a serious injury - I trust that Pearson and his staff assessed his fitness, decided he wasn't really up to it anymore and decided not to renew his contract. Another big earner off the books who never really offered much on the pitch. Do you really think Darius Vassell is hungry to pull on that blue shirt every week and give absolutely everything for the cause? I highly doubt it. He's a mercenary and his time in Turkey proved that - he'd go wherever the money was.

Bamba - not a bad defender and obviously a talented footballer, but too unpredictable. How can you build a solid defence around a player who might decide to run off dribbling the ball to the halfway line at any point? His positioning was woeful and he was too much of a risk - he won't be missed.

Give me fewer players like this bunch and replace them with an organised, well-drilled team who know their tactics inside out and are proud to pull on that blue jersey any day of the week.

When you hear De Laet or James interviewed all they talk about is how they can't wait to play for our club. Attitude is everything.

Where do I start with this one?

I think Pearson likes players that can stand up, falling over only works if you are Ashley Young.

Pearson has got rid of around 20 players since coming in, I'm not going to miss any of them, except Bamba, but I understand why he let him go, the fact that he has been able to get rid of so many shows how bloated our squad was, of course some may have been good at this level, but we don't want to be at this level, we want players that can play above this level, I'm sure that has been in NP's mind when making young signings which he can mould into players that are good at a higher level.

If Pearson only likes yes men, then how is Beckford still at the club?

Vassell, past it and injury prone, and I didn't see him running at too many people in the last 18 months, we also have Marshall who will run at people and take them on, not to mention some new players who may also do that, you don't know because you haven't seen them play yet, me neither. We also have time to bring a few more players to replace those that under performed for us last season.

I really don't understand the panic.

Though I agree with most of what you are saying I don't think we have many players who can 'play above this level'.

Kasper.... Yes he can I believe

Konch.... Good in the Champ but his Premier days are maybe over.

SSL... No chance

Morgan.... Maybe

Pelts... Not a Prem player

DeLaet... Untested

Dyer.... No

King.... No

Wellens... Legs have gone

Drinkwater... I believe he's the key to the future of our midfield

Gally... No

Marshall... Untested

Beckford... Didn't cut it at Everton

Vardy.... Untested at this level let alone the Prem

Nuge.... Could be a Prem striker

Futacs?.... No

James... Untested at this level let alone the Prem

Unless all of the younger signings are gonna:

A. Be good enough to help get us promotion

B. Then become established Prem players,

Pearson is playing a risky game.

There are so few players in that squad who either we know to be good enough to play at a 'higher level' or maybe have only the potential to, that I continue to maintain we need a couple of strong, established players to really enable us to kick on.

Unless all of the newbies come through with flying colours I believe that our squad will have a major job on to gain promotion, let alone compete at the highest level.

Pantsil - kept out of the team by Peltier - at best a very average right back - and Moore, an untested youngster. Pearson said when he came in that everyone would get a clean slate. Even players he'd 'fallen out with' featured regularly in the side. He's either completely passed it, or there are other reasons why he wasn't in the side. Either way, he will not be remotely missed.

Mills - Shite from his first game to his last. It didn't work out for him under Sven, it didn't work out for him under Pearson. People say he's underrated and seem to be clinging to the idea that, somewhere, deep down, is a class defender - he's not. Another one who is, at best, average. If you add to that his poor disciplinary record and his reported attitude problems then he's another I won't miss. People keep saying 'Pearson can't handle players with attitudes' - good! Bomb those arseholes out of the club. No one man is bigger than the team and I wouldn't want a manager to pander to the players and massage their egos. The boss is the boss, end of story.

Vassell - wasn't bad before his injury, but he's getting on and suffered a serious injury - I trust that Pearson and his staff assessed his fitness, decided he wasn't really up to it anymore and decided not to renew his contract. Another big earner off the books who never really offered much on the pitch. Do you really think Darius Vassell is hungry to pull on that blue shirt every week and give absolutely everything for the cause? I highly doubt it. He's a mercenary and his time in Turkey proved that - he'd go wherever the money was.

Bamba - not a bad defender and obviously a talented footballer, but too unpredictable. How can you build a solid defence around a player who might decide to run off dribbling the ball to the halfway line at any point? His positioning was woeful and he was too much of a risk - he won't be missed.

Give me fewer players like this bunch and replace them with an organised, well-drilled team who know their tactics inside out and are proud to pull on that blue jersey any day of the week.

When you hear De Laet or James interviewed all they talk about is how they can't wait to play for our club. Attitude is everything.

Attitude isn't everything. Attitude and ability is everything. We will have to hope that these young lads possess both.

Though I agree with most of what you are saying I don't think we have many players who can 'play above this level'.

SSL... No chance

Morgan.... Maybe

DeLaet... Untested

Dyer.... No

King.... No

Gally... No

Marshall... Untested

Futacs?.... No

There are so few players in that squad who either we know to be good enough to play at a 'higher level' or maybe have only the potential to, that I continue to maintain we need a couple of strong, established players to really enable us to kick on.

Unless all of the newbies come through with flying colours I believe that our squad will have a major job on to gain promotion, let alone compete at the highest level.

Do we think the money is there to buy us these tried and tested players still capable of plying their trade in the premier league? Of course it would be ideal to get those players, but they are not going to be cheap.

As I'm sure you'll be aware I'm not a Beckford fan either.

But this seems amazingly biased, Beckford got (according to Wiki I admit) 8 goals in 34 Premier League games, while during his time at Pompey, Nugent got 3 in 34 Premier League games. While I'm not saying Nugent couldn't do a job in the Prem or that Beckford could do well in the Premier League, I'm amazed that you can claim that Beckford didn't cut it in the Premiership while at the same time ignoring the fact that, by your criteria, neither did Nugent.

Do we think the money is there to buy us these tried and tested players still capable of plying their trade in the premier league? Of course it would be ideal to get those players, but they are not going to be cheap.

I think we need to get out of the Championship first Babs. I respect Pearson for looking longer term but we need also some success now. Football is a results business.

Look at Arsenal... They've been bringing in youth 'for the future' for what, ten years? And have won nothing.

I'd like a couple of proven players at this level to help get us up, then see what we can do.

Murphy would have been superb IMO.

And I like George Boyd for example.

I don't think such players would'would of cost the earth in relative terms.

As I'm sure you'll be aware I'm not a Beckford fan either.

But this seems amazingly biased, Beckford got (according to Wiki I admit) 8 goals in 34 Premier League games, while during his time at Pompey, Nugent got 3 in 34 Premier League games. While I'm not saying Nugent couldn't do a job in the Prem or that Beckford could do well in the Premier League, I'm amazed that you can claim that Beckford didn't cut it in the Premiership while at the same time ignoring the fact that, by your criteria, neither did Nugent.

Cheers for pointing that out Mark to be honest I wasn't aware of the stats.

I was going by what I've seen, thus far, of the two players.

I would say though that you need to consider the two respective teams. Everton are a much better side than Portsmouth were so probably created more chances.

I think we need to get out of the Championship first Babs. I respect Pearson for looking longer term but we need also some success now. Football is a results business.

Look at Arsenal... They've been bringing in youth 'for the future' for what, ten years? And have won nothing.

I'd like a couple of proven players at this level to help get us up, then see what we can do.

Murphy would have been superb IMO.

And I like George Boyd for example.

You say you want tried and tested. The point I'm making is that real quality that's tried and tested costs much much more than young and untested.

Murphy would be a great player, but his wages would be huge. Obviously we have already been cutting back for FFP so purchases like that might no longer be affordable. Blackburn are not bound by the same rules we are going to be, plus they have parachute payments which makes it doubly hard to compete.

You say you want tried and tested. The point I'm making is that real quality that's tried and tested costs much much more than young and untested.

Murphy would be a great player, but his wages would be huge. Obviously we have already been cutting back for FFP so purchases like that might no longer be affordable. Blackburn are not bound by the same rules we are going to be, plus they have parachute payments which makes it doubly hard to compete.

Are you saying our financial position is really this bad?

You may be right I really don't know?

George Boyd, amongst others, is available on a free. His wages would be small surely?

I'm all for bringing through younger lads, but that squad listed above doesn't fill me with an awful lot of confidence.

George Boyd, amongst others, is available on a free. His wages would be small surely?

I'm all for bringing through younger lads, but that squad listed above doesn't fill me with an awful lot of confidence.

I'd say it's one of the better squads in the Championship myself, we aren't in the Premier League yet and we need to walk before we can run. I think that squad is just about capable of getting us up with another couple of additions and then we've got a good nucleus of young talented players to add to if we can get into the Premier League. At one time James was very highly rated by United, we've got Drinkwater, Marshall, De Laet, King all players who I think could do a decent job in the Premier League in a year or two with a bit of luck. I'm sure that not an awful lot of Reading/Southampton/Norwich/Swansea fans thought their squads were ready for promotion or the jump to the Premier League, why can't we all just look forward to this season and not worry about what this squad is capable of, there isn't anything we can do about it anyway. Why not just trust the manager who got us pretty damn close last time he had a full season with us in the Championship.

Who said it was bad? I was asking you. But we are £50 odd million in debt, with one of the most expensive squads in the league and have FFP on the horizon. I would say anyone expecting lots of big signings may end up dissapointed!

Can't comment on Boyd really as I've hardly seen him play since he went on loan to forest. Where would you see him fitting into our system?

SSL... No chance

Morgan.... Maybe

DeLaet... Untested

Dyer.... No

King.... No

Gally... No

Marshall... Untested

Futacs?.... No

I would rather have Marshall, de laet, drinkwater, James, vardy who may be untested but may make the step up than players who are past their best and weren't good enough at their best. I think so far Pearson's transfer policy has been spot on, they may not all become legends but the potential is there for those players with Danns, king, Kasper to be the mainstay of our team for the best part of a decade.

I can't say I am impressed with Pearson's buys so far, and cannot see us with a realistic chance of promotion.

Come next season it will, in my view, be a case of "The mixture as before", with little direction, and no bloody impact,

As others have mentioned, he lacks ability to handle big name players, thus assuming the mantle of a paper tiger

I can't say I am impressed with Pearson's buys so far, and cannot see us with a realistic chance of promotion.

Come next season it will, in my view, be a case of "The mixture as before", with little direction, and no bloody impact,

As others have mentioned, he lacks ability to handle big name players, thus assuming the mantle of a paper tiger

We haven't even seen them play yet.

He has signed, and handled, big named players before. Solano as an example, can't get bigger than that in Peru. We've seen no evidence, IMO, of his ability to handle players, we're all just speculating via transfers and interviews.

Who said it was bad? I was asking you. But we are £50 odd million in debt, with one of the most expensive squads in the league and have FFP on the horizon. I would say anyone expecting lots of big signings may end up dissapointed!

Can't comment on Boyd really as I've hardly seen him play since he went on loan to forest. Where would you see him fitting into our system?

He's played at Peterborough since July 10?

Finished his loan at Forest then....

Right/left wing

I'd say it's one of the better squads in the Championship myself, we aren't in the Premier League yet and we need to walk before we can run. I think that squad is just about capable of getting us up with another couple of additions and then we've got a good nucleus of young talented players to add to if we can get into the Premier League. At one time James was very highly rated by United, we've got Drinkwater, Marshall, De Laet, King all players who I think could do a decent job in the Premier League in a year or two with a bit of luck. I'm sure that not an awful lot of Reading/Southampton/Norwich/Swansea fans thought their squads were ready for promotion or the jump to the Premier League, why can't we all just look forward to this season and not worry about what this squad is capable of, there isn't anything we can do about it anyway. Why not just trust the manager who got us pretty damn close last time he had a full season with us in the Championship.

Why is it wrong to think these guys might not be good enough but OK to make a wild guess that Drinkwater sold afterr being on loan to Championship side,Marshall (sold by an average Prem team because he wasn't good enough), De Laet , sold by a proper Prem team as surplus to requirements and King who has been woeful for the past 2 years, can all step up to be Premiership players 'with luck'

It is laughable and bordering on delusional. I know you all love Leicester City more than me but FFS get real

Why is it wrong to think these guys might not be good enough but OK to make a wild guess that Drinkwater sold afterr being on loan to Championship side,Marshall (sold by an average Prem team because he wasn't good enough), De Laet , sold by a proper Prem team as surplus to requirements and King who has been woeful for the past 2 years, can all step up to be Premiership players 'with luck'

It is laughable and bordering on delusional. I know you all love Leicester City more than me but FFS get real

For one last time!!!! Give it time!!!!

Let's have this conversation after ten games or so in. By then we'll be able to talk with more authority.

At present it's you suggesting we will be rubbish, others suggesting it will all come good... And myself and others sat in the middle somewhere. None of us know!

Stop being miserable and get hopeful.....

I'll cheer the team on whatever.. And fingers crossed, we will look better.

Archived