Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Performances Of Marshall Crucial?

Bit bored this afternoon but some thoughts just came into my head, when I mentioned Ben Marshall in a thread earlier.

How crucial could Ben Marshall's performances be this season?

We all know he is capable of scoring goals, but over past season's it seems you need that goalscoring midfielder who is capable of scoring 15+ a season to get you promoted. We seen it with Lallana with Southampton, Vaz Te and Nolan with West Ham, Taarabt with QPR and a few more teams aswell. If we want to get top six this season, how key will Ben Marshall's goals be, if played in the right position will he take over from Andy King as our goalscoring midfielder?

Is Ben Marshall capable of scoring 15+ goals this season, we have seen it with King before, but last season his goals dried up and it seemed without that goalscoring midfielder it kind of breaked our season and we weren't good enough getting top six. But now with Marshall set to play in his first full season as a regular, I believe his performances could make or break our season, from midfield we will rely on him for goals. He scored five with us last season, most of which came when he was playing on the wing, but he seemed to play better in the attacking midfield role something we tried out in some games towards the end of last season. He seemed to be far more effective and played a pivotal role.

We need a goalscoring midfielder to get top six, evidence shows this with teams in the past couple of season's. With King most likely to be on the bench this season, how crucial is Ben Marshall, will the performances of the 21 year old make or break our season?

Bit bored this afternoon but some thoughts just came into my head, when I mentioned Ben Marshall in a thread earlier.

How crucial could Ben Marshall's performances be this season?

We all know he is capable of scoring goals, but over past season's it seems you need that goalscoring midfielder who is capable of scoring 15+ a season to get you promoted. We seen it with Lallana with Southampton, Vaz Te and Nolan with West Ham, Taarabt with QPR and a few more teams aswell. If we want to get top six this season, how key will Ben Marshall's goals be, if played in the right position will he take over from Andy King as our goalscoring midfielder?

Is Ben Marshall capable of scoring 15+ goals this season, we have seen it with King before, but last season his goals dried up and it seemed without that goalscoring midfielder it kind of breaked our season and we weren't good enough getting top six. But now with Marshall set to play in his first full season as a regular, I believe his performances could make or break our season, from midfield we will rely on him for goals. He scored five with us last season, most of which came when he was playing on the wing, but he seemed to play better in the attacking midfield role something we tried out in some games towards the end of last season. He seemed to be far more effective and played a pivotal role.

We need a goalscoring midfielder to get top six, evidence shows this with teams in the past couple of season's. With King most likely to be on the bench this season, how crucial is Ben Marshall, will the performances of the 21 year old make or break our season?

Evidence? Still our best midfielder as far as I'm concerned. One rotten season which saw him out injured as well does not a bad player make. Put a midfield enforcer/destroyer (call them what you will) alongside him and I'm certain we'd see the best out of him.

We need goals from all the team our CB were seriously lacking in goals last season for example, yes it's important to get goals from mid-field but it's better if they all contribute rather than rely on one player who may not play as many as you might think what with form, differing tactics & injuries.

Football is a team game.

We cant rely or expect to rely on one player.

Especially one so young.

Spot on. Hopefully Marshall will have a good season, but we can't rely on him and we don't need to either.

Good thread this, a lot better, and I do happen to agree.

But DavieG's spot on, and I think what Thracian says about goals potential all the time is actually spot on as well.

It sounds to me like we actually have a very lot of goals potential in this team, Nugent can get 15 again, Vardy IMO will hit at least 10, Knockaert's known to score a fair few, Beckford if he stays can probably score some, Marshall can hit 10, King's done it before. Drinkwater/Danns both chip in.

But the centre halves are a concern and the lack of goals from them in the past two years is beyond amazing, Morgan with 0 so far, St Ledger with 1 at Norwich, Mills only scored 1, Bamba scored 4 with 3 of them coming in the first 4 games..

But like I said before, there is definitely goals potential in this side, more than last year for sure.

Evidence? Still our best midfielder as far as I'm concerned. One rotten season which saw him out injured as well does not a bad player make. Put a midfield enforcer/destroyer (call them what you will) alongside him and I'm certain we'd see the best out of him.

No evidence at all, but it seems likely.

And it seems Danns may partner Drinkwater in midfield.

Just saying though we all know how special Marshall is, and the goals he can score and would it be better to play him in a more attacking role instead of the wing, like someone said. Cause I have said before he looked much more better in the centre of the field than on the wing, he looked exciting, dangerous, was linking up incredibly well and scored goals in an attacking midfield role. So if he is played in that role, I doubt Pearson would start both King and Marshall as it would look far too attacking, and I think Col City Fan said on another thread, if we are far too attacking and lightweight in midfield it would put far more pressure on the defence and we would become exposed. We just need that balance, but in the goalscoring side of midfield, Ben Marshall will be our key player.

Good thread this, a lot better, and I do happen to agree.

But DavieG's spot on, and I think what Thracian says about goals potential all the time is actually spot on as well.

It sounds to me like we actually have a very lot of goals potential in this team, Nugent can get 15 again, Vardy IMO will hit at least 10, Knockaert's known to score a fair few, Beckford if he stays can probably score some, Marshall can hit 10, King's done it before. Drinkwater/Danns both chip in.

But the centre halves are a concern and the lack of goals from them in the past two years is beyond amazing, Morgan with 0 so far, St Ledger with 1 at Norwich, Mills only scored 1, Bamba scored 4 with 3 of them coming in the first 4 games..

But like I said before, there is definitely goals potential in this side, more than last year for sure.

I've always been a believer in Thracian's goal potential theory. St.Ledger does have a habit though of popping up at set-pieces as did Peltier. Michael Morrison was the last real centre-back we had though who imo chipped in with his fair share of goals. You only have to look at Naughton the other season too and even Vitor had a little knack. Don't see Morgan bagging.

Just to add it's as crucial if not more so that Marshall along with the other mid-fielders get a bigger supply of assists than we've had from them recently.

Evidence? Still our best midfielder as far as I'm concerned. One rotten season which saw him out injured as well does not a bad player make. Put a midfield enforcer/destroyer (call them what you will) alongside him and I'm certain we'd see

the best out of him.

King remains one of the first names on the teamsheet for me. I'd like to see him start with Danns in a 4-2-3-1 or Danns and James/Drinkwater in a 4-3-3.

One thing's for sure, he looks a much better player when there is a third pair of legs in the middle.

King remains one of the first names on the teamsheet for me. I'd like to see him start with Danns in a 4-2-3-1 or Danns and James/Drinkwater in a 4-3-3.

One thing's for sure, he looks a much better player when there is a third pair of legs in the middle.

And, in fairness, so does Wellens.

Agree that Marshall is key. A few tap in's from him would be nice. We could play King, in a narrow 41212 formation, with Drinkwater holding and Marshall at CAM. BUT I doubt NP will divert from 442, which would see Marshall pushed out to the wing - Marshall (LM) Danns Drinkwater Gallagher/Knockaert would be my suggestion, definitely no Dyer!!

Kasper

De Laet Morgan Whitbread (SSL when fit) Konch

Knockaert Danns Drinkwater Marshall

Nuuuuge Vardy

Subs: Logan Moore King Dyer/James/Wellens Gally Beckford Waggy/Schluppy

Think this shows we need a defender pronto, but the rest of the squad has good depth as the bench shows!

Onwards and upwards!

I think he is a great talent and Pearson did well to get him!

he has massive potential and energy to burn, I think him and Knockaert on the wings will be a huge threat next season, but I think Marshall would play best behind the strikers.. he's creative, can pick a pass and he has a shot on him.

Aren't the performances and form of many players equally as crucial?

Why Marshall especially?

Unless you think he's a crucial player for the club?

Yes, but I mentioned Marshall because like you know where I mentioned goals from midfield are crucial, on the transfer wish list thread.

I think Marshall will be our source for goals from midfield this season, because teams who get promoted usually had players scoring from midfield, but we didn't have that last season.

That's why Marshall could be crucial, goals from midfield are important Col, and Marshall is the most likely source to get them, if a midfielder doesn't get 15+ a season it's unlikely we will get promoted or get top six.

Football is a team game.

Especially one so young.

But every team needs a talisman. Towards the end of the season he showed that he's got the ability to be that player, regardless of how young he is.

I agree. And I think we've got the midfielders to suit a system whereby we have two deep-lying central midfielders, two wingers and King in behind the striker. The one decent thing that Sousa did was give King a free role and the license to play in a much more advanced position. That's when the goals really started flowing because of his clever running and strong finishing.

People saying last year the goals dried up etc. is ridiculous. The guy was injured for two-thirds of the season. It's like saying Tunchev had a bad season! He was also injured for the most part - his season wasn't good, bad or indifferent, it was a write off. I really hope some people are eating their words with King this season.

Yes, but I mentioned Marshall because like you know where I mentioned goals from midfield are crucial, on the transfer wish list thread.

I think Marshall will be our source for goals from midfield this season, because teams who get promoted usually had players scoring from midfield, but we didn't have that last season.

That's why Marshall could be crucial, goals from midfield are important Col, and Marshall is the most likely source to get them, if a midfielder doesn't get 15+ a season it's unlikely we will get promoted or get top six.

Bloody Hell. I hope you are all right on this. He looks a super little player but we ain't seen a lot of the lad.

lol

Football is a team game.

Especially one so young.

Aye, we need everyone to perform, and avoid any mistakes that may could create opportunities for the opposition.

Archived