Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
kingfox

Performances Of Marshall Crucial?

he is capable of scoring 15+ goals a season, but only if he plays behind the two strikers in a 4-1-2-2/4-2-3-1 IMO. i think he's wasted on the wing

agreed. it's tough to work out the midfield if he plays this role though. so i'm resigned to see him running aimlessly up and down the wing.

imo Marshall will be key to our season if used behind the front two & not on the right( good crosser but far to slow)

Kasper

De laet. Moore. Morgan. Konchesky

Marshall. Danns. Drinkwater. Dyer

Beckford. Nugent

that's how I think Pearson will line up first game.

he is capable of scoring 15+ goals a season, but only if he plays behind the two strikers in a 4-1-2-2/4-2-3-1 IMO. i think he's wasted on the wing

Wasted on the wing despite the fact we've needed a decent winger for years and he delivered in that sense more often than not? Despite the fact he seems pretty much the only player we have who can cross?

He'd only be wasted on the wing if we had an abundance of consistent wingers.

To be fair, yes Marshall will play a big part in the season, he will be a key part to our midfield, but he wont be on form all season, you have to look at the rest of our midfield for goals. Danns your looking at around 3-4 goals a season, hes not really a goal scoring midfielder, Same as Drinkwater and wellens. James (when on form from what I have seen of him, very little by the way!) and king are our only other "goal scoring midfielders". If you look in the wide positions, there is Knockaert, who I don't know anything about, but if he lives up to all the hype, he should be scoring a fair few.

Wasted on the wing despite the fact we've needed a decent winger for years and he delivered in that sense more often than not? Despite the fact he seems pretty much the only player we have who can cross?

He'd only be wasted on the wing if we had an abundance of consistent wingers.

This.

This country as a whole seems to underestimate the value of a good wide player, even if they're not on the ball all the time. Every English player who can trap a ball twice out of three wants to be CM-we'd do well to value players who are devastating when they cut in every now and then without putting them there permanently. Marshall seemed pretty good at that when he did it last time out...

I've always been a believer in Thracian's goal potential theory. St.Ledger does have a habit though of popping up at set-pieces as did Peltier. Michael Morrison was the last real centre-back we had though who imo chipped in with his fair share of goals. You only have to look at Naughton the other season too and even Vitor had a little knack. Don't see Morgan bagging.

lol I do like Thrac if I'm honest, I like his attitude.

Peltier? The lad scored one goal for us if I remember rightly, although he did have one against Brighton very unfairly chalked out.

I think it's probably our attitude, Matt Mills can score goals yet we managed a grand total of fvcking one from him, Bamba 4, St Ledger just the one so far (scored as many in the Euros as the Championship last year), I think the delivery is poor and we don't attack them well enough. That needs addressing big time.

Yes, but I mentioned Marshall because like you know where I mentioned goals from midfield are crucial, on the transfer wish list thread.

I think Marshall will be our source for goals from midfield this season, because teams who get promoted usually had players scoring from midfield, but we didn't have that last season.

That's why Marshall could be crucial, goals from midfield are important Col, and Marshall is the most likely source to get them, if a midfielder doesn't get 15+ a season it's unlikely we will get promoted or get top six.

Who were Reading and Norwich's goalscoring midfielders? I do think you're right on the whole but it's not a 100% necessity. Lets be honest - there's no exact formula that equals promotion, it's the results and scoring more goals than the opposition regularly - not a case of who scores them.

Like I said earlier, we've actually got more goals in this team than last year, I'm sure of it.

If you took away Marshalls goals would people still be impressed with his overall play? Sometimes a feel people go a bit OTT about the lad because he banged in a few stunners.

If he keeps producing them every week though, sod his overall play!!!

If you took away Marshalls goals would people still be impressed with his overall play? Sometimes a feel people go a bit OTT about the lad because he banged in a few stunners.

This isn't another one of those "all he does is score goals" comments is it??

There's nothing wrong with his overall display at all , he's the 1st wide player we've had who can actually beat a man and also put in a good cross in a while

he's the 1st wide player we've had who can actually beat a man

Can he though? He has never looked like that type of wide man / winger to me. He hasn't looked particularly quick, and I haven't seen any "trickery". He played a lot out on the left and would have to cut inside rather than "beat his man and get a ball in".

I'm not saying he's not a decent player, he's an improvement on what he had that's for sure. I'm just asking if a few people go over the top slightly about how good he is because of the rockets he's produced?

It wasn't his goals that necessarily impressed me, they were obviously superb but I enjoyed his aggression with the ball from out wide or through the middle. He might not be that quick and skill full ala Gradel but he causes defences no end of trouble and his passing is top notch. He provided several assists from corners and crosses which we've been crying out for.

He's one to get excited about as he's got everything there to improve.

Him, Nugent, Vardy and hopefully Beckford and Knockaert can win us games. We're gradually increasing the number of important players.

'Scapegoats' and 'talismen', typical FT atitude....... :(:frusty:

We are going nowhere until we find a system and style of play that suits our players, we need to work out how to play as a team.

NFP managed that reasonably well in the playoff season, no really outstanding players but a solid team effort that only really broke down late in the season due, primarily, to a lack of depth in the squad.

This year the squad has more depth and (possibly) better players so if NFP gets it right we should have a good season....... :fc:

Regarding Marshall, I think his best performances have all come when he plays more centrally. If we play a flexible system this will not be an issue, he can pull out wide or play down the middle, whatever the game dictates.

If, as I expect, NFP plays 4-4-2, then he will be given the wide right role, required to 'get up and down' his flank and be largely wasted as he turns into a younger version of Gallagher....... :(

tbh i think all are midfielders can chip in with goals and i think neil danns could get a fair few considering he scored 5 goals last season i think he could push for more if the team hit good form same and marshall yes he will be important to grab some goals in midfield but who knows Knockaert wont bag alot of goals, i think it doesnt matter if one midfielder scores 15+ goals aslong as the whole of midfield get some goals

Archived