Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chili_con_carne

Schlupp

I was impressed with him I have to admit. Slow start but defended well, swopped positions with Konch a couple of times as cover which was great to see.

He's like our version of Micah Richards. You can see he has power and pace and can handle the position. I'd love him to move to that position and spend a couple of years learning from the likes of Konch. A bright future for him I think

Imagine the average of the team if he starts ahead of konch, #Pearson's pups #Nigel's nippers.

Schmeichel (25)

Schlupp (19)

Morgan (28)

Moore (19)

De Laet (23)

Drinkwater (22)

Marshall (21)

King (23)

Knockaert (20)

Vardy (25)

Nugent (27)

In a way that'd be bloody depressing, all but Morgan would be younger than me!

An average age of just over 21 by the way, absolutely incredible to think that that's actually quite a likely side to put out.

Sven played him left wing/back in some warm up games, it's seems like it's something he's happy to go along with. Even if he ends up being a striker the experience will enhance his overall ability and contribution to games.

Imagine the average of the team if he starts ahead of konch, #Pearson's pups #Nigel's nippers.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I've long suggested Schlupp might find it easier to progress as a wing-back and that his pace, skill and determination are perfect for the role and ideal fr the side we need to develop.

But consigning Konch to the scrapheap before his time may be foolhardy.

While Schlupp has the ability to take his place he doesn't have the experience and, as several people rightly pointed out, he was a lost at set-pieces on occasions and that might have cost us on another day.

He also had only a relatively short time having to deal with his winger and who knows whether he could have maintained that concentation level and still made the right choices over 90 minutes? I'm not pre-judging the last bit but am just saying let's give the lad time to establish himself.

With Moore, the situation has been forced upon us and there are increasing signs that he's settling into his job, cogging in well with Morgan and becoming a real candidate to retain his place whoever's available. With Schlupp the situation is slightly different.

Konch had a generally good last season with us and proved himself a fairly reliable, tenacious and durable defender. So we've no need to replace him with Schlupp before the lad is properly ready. Keep him well involved from the bench, let him iron out flaws on the training ground and perhaps we'll have another versatile footballer who can play full-back, midfield or up front when the need arises.

Yesterday's performance would surely have registered a big, big plus in the manager's notebook and Schlupp should be proud of himself. But let's see him polished up before announcing his "arrival". I'd hope too that Moore recognises that he's a way to go yet before being the finished gemstone...but what decent prospects they both are.

During the Sunderland friendly when my mate asked why we were playing him at left back, i said it was probably down to Nige wanting a more versatile bench, players that can cover more than one position.

During their Academy development players are given experience in different positions as a matter of course and it's a wise approach.

Not only are players assessed for their adaptability but they get to know the requirements of different jobs and that knowledge will be vital to them sooner or later.

Some players are less adaptable than others but people like Schlupp - with pace, strength, vision, reliability and good technique are a godsend because once they learn the particulars of a position they soon become comfortable playing there and that's a major comfort to any manager picking a matchday squad.

Was really, really impressed with him yesterday but let's not go overboard. Can he do it for 90 mins during the ebbs and flows of your average Championship game? Without switching off/diving in/rash decisions?

I love the guy and am quietly confident but lets not assume we've the next Roberto Carlos just yet!

I think it is important not to put too much pressure of expectation on young players, but I think Schlupp did himself proud yesterday. Saw him at left back against Sunderland pre-season, and I thought he did pretty well. He was even better yesterday, and he won't come up against too many better wingers in this division.

As others have said, it is important to remember it was only a sub appearance for half an hour, and it's yet to be seen whether he's ready to start a match in that position.

It's definitely a good thing to have some versatile players. With Kennedy gone, I thought we looked a bit short for numbers in defence, but now I'm not so sure. I do think young players have a far better chance of establishing themselves in the first team if they can play in more than one position.

I think I'd be a bit less worried now about Konchesky getting injured/suspended than before yesterday's game.

I think it is important not to put too much pressure of expectation on young players, but I think Schlupp did himself proud yesterday. Saw him at left back against Sunderland pre-season, and I thought he did pretty well. He was even better yesterday, and he won't come up against too many better wingers in this division.

As others have said, it is important to remember it was only a sub appearance for half an hour, and it's yet to be seen whether he's ready to start a match in that position.

It's definitely a good thing to have some versatile players. With Kennedy gone, I thought we looked a bit short for numbers in defence, but now I'm not so sure. I do think young players have a far better chance of establishing themselves in the first team if they can play in more than one position.

I think I'd be a bit less worried now about Konchesky getting injured/suspended than before yesterday's game.

His past 3 performances have me worried that he doesn't get injured/.suspended and we have to play him... Although he did just fine at LCB

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I've long suggested Schlupp might find it easier to progress as a wing-back and that his pace, skill and determination are perfect for the role and ideal fr the side we need to develop.

But consigning Konch to the scrapheap before his time may be foolhardy.

While Schlupp has the ability to take his place he doesn't have the experience and, as several people rightly pointed out, he was a lost at set-pieces on occasions and that might have cost us on another day.

He also had only a relatively short time having to deal with his winger and who knows whether he could have maintained that concentation level and still made the right choices over 90 minutes? I'm not pre-judging the last bit but am just saying let's give the lad time to establish himself.

With Moore, the situation has been forced upon us and there are increasing signs that he's settling into his job, cogging in well with Morgan and becoming a real candidate to retain his place whoever's available. With Schlupp the situation is slightly different.

Konch had a generally good last season with us and proved himself a fairly reliable, tenacious and durable defender. So we've no need to replace him with Schlupp before the lad is properly ready. Keep him well involved from the bench, let him iron out flaws on the training ground and perhaps we'll have another versatile footballer who can play full-back, midfield or up front when the need arises.

Yesterday's performance would surely have registered a big, big plus in the manager's notebook and Schlupp should be proud of himself. But let's see him polished up before announcing his "arrival". I'd hope too that Moore recognises that he's a way to go yet before being the finished gemstone...but what decent prospects they both are.

Not sure why you picked my post to be the over the top one, all I was doing was pointing out how young our current squad/first team is, wasn't calling him the next Ashley Cole like some others.

Of course Konch is still number 1 number 3, but he has been our weak link at times, if Shlupp should replace him at left back, then we have an insanely young team at the moment, I know whitbread is to come on, but 80% of this squad could realistically still be the core of the team in 7-8 years time, the Thais can put their money away. :ph34r:

His past 3 performances have me worried that he doesn't get injured/.suspended and we have to play him... Although he did just fine at LCB

Haha! He hasn't hit the ground running this season, that's for sure. It is a bit strange, as he was one of our better players last season. Is he past it? Or is it just poor form?

He's definitely got potential as a left back. That moment with about 15 mins left where he bombed on ahead of Dyer (I think it was) and fizzed in a cracking low cross (which should have been tapped in by Nuge) is exactly the sort of thing we could do with from our full backs. No disrespect to SSL but there were at least 4 or 5 occasions yesterday on which he could / should have whipped a cross in but he didn't have the confidence or more than likely, the ability. RDL looks like he could be the answer at RB if his crossing improves. Attacking full backs are so hard to defend against so if Jeffrey could make the transition to LB we could have a fantastic prospect on our hands.

Archived