Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
seenitall

When/Why did fans patience for players change?

IMO it's because the fans now feel less part of the club. It's not the fans' club anymore - we can't relate to the players' lifestyles and ridiculous salaries. Players are more mercenary and don't feel part of the city.

So what happens? Fans start looking in and treating it more like a gameshow, rather than part of their lives. Players are now characters to be booed/lauded/villified etc, rather than regular guys you can empathise with.

Shame really; blame the Premier League, Big Brother, Bosman, Maggie Thatcher, Simon Cowell... It's a sad, plastic combination of them all.

Good post this, there's a lack of connection at all and the fans find it very easy to dislike a player when they're being paid more in a year than they will in a lifetime.

Like I said earlier, I think the fact it's so based around what happens on the pitch nowadays, add to that so expensive, will lead to stupidly high demand.

So yes I blame ticket prices, again.

Society as a whole is now much more demanding and results focused, back in the day expectations and KPI's etc were only placed on insurance salesmen and high achievers. Now the girl in Primark has a set budget and KPI's

We began reporting the financial market on our TV news, eg the stockmarket fluctuations and value of the Dollar against the pound etc, what an absurdity ...a DAILY update about a particular shares price is insane.

We are now a society that is always looking to be better, have a bigger house, car, holiday etc etc....

Our aspiration for more means we expect our football team to achieve success... and success now, is only judged by being the best, unfortunately only one team can ever be the best....and that isnt going to be Leicester for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng time.

Some great replies here, thanks. I must admit, i find myself drawn in to the total overreaction that comes from a defeat, especially if I have the internet to hand. I guess opinions on players were formed over longer periods of time in the past and the instant success thing permeates everything from music to sport and even to a certain extent how people are treated at work.

Perhaps as well as the post match threads there could be a thread started 24hours after each match called something like post match reflections after a good nights sleep..........we might see a few more balanced arguments (from me as well) and a little more tolerance for players in such a thread

Some great replies here, thanks. I must admit, i find myself drawn in to the total overreaction that comes from a defeat, especially if I have the internet to hand. I guess opinions on players were formed over longer periods of time in the past and the instant success thing permeates everything from music to sport and even to a certain extent how people are treated at work.

Perhaps as well as the post match threads there could be a thread started 24hours after each match called something like post match reflections after a good nights sleep..........we might see a few more balanced arguments (from me as well) and a little more tolerance for players in such a thread

Good thread Seenitall.

:thumbup:

IMO it's because the fans now feel less part of the club. It's not the fans' club anymore - we can't relate to the players' lifestyles and ridiculous salaries. Players are more mercenary and don't feel part of the city.

So what happens? Fans start looking in and treating it more like a gameshow, rather than part of their lives. Players are now characters to be booed/lauded/villified etc, rather than regular guys you can empathise with.

Shame really; blame the Premier League, Big Brother, Bosman, Maggie Thatcher, Simon Cowell... It's a sad, plastic combination of them all.

I'm not sure I agree, if that was the case fans would stop coming and attendances would drop and that hasn't been the case, it would also be evident all round the country and it isn't you look at other clubs, they still manage to find their heroes and connect with their players.

Why can't we? I personally think it is just down to the ridiculous turnover in players we have had in the last 10 years, even our longest serving players, King, Wellens, Dyer and Gallagher have been in and out the team and heavily criticised, and of them only King has been here for more than 4 seasons, that is shocking.

Last time np was here was the first time in a long time we had a team to be proud of, I just hope we get to that point again with this lot.

This is definitely a money issue as I see it. High transfer fee's with high wages at a time when the economy is weak and money doesn't go very far for the average household. When you see players coming in for those fee's there is great expectation, this expectation develops into frustration when it becomes obvious the players agent has completely mugged the board off.

The fact that players will just go to the highest bidder too, also plays a big part in it, there is no loyalty in football anymore....its who will pay me the most? i'll go there! makes it very difficult to build a "team" these days.

One thing thats screwing football.....MONEY.

EDIT* & that bloody Twitter can do one too! nothing but trouble lol

Reflective of society, no one seems to have any patience anymore for anything.

We have a "I want it and I want it now" culture and it's only natural that has crossed into football.

I lost patience when Peter Taylor followed MON as manager. Everything was in place. Quality players, who had bonded, were confident, and most of all enthusiastic.

Taylor came along, broke the side up, paid £5,000,000 for a player who no one had ever heard of, and produced a shambles of a side. We have never recovered from that time onward, and nothing looks overly optimistic at the moment .

For once I will not express my views on Mr. P. He a MASSIVE task ahead of him, and those who are for him, are going to need a great deal of patience, and not expect him to work the miracles that some expect this season. If you truly believe in someone, then you should stick by them through thick and thin.

My personal views regarding N.P[. are of no consequence, So, if you do believe in N.P. then don't turn against him if this season does not bring much joy

Football as far as I'm concerned has been ruined by money and there's absolutely no way back.

apart from a cap on wages, a cap on transfer fees, a cap on signing on fees, an embargo on outside sponsorship, reduced ticket prices, football back on terrestrial tv, a cap on agents fees and preferably resurrect cloughie.

When we stopped being a yo yo club and became a rather average championship team stuck in this division for what seems like a life time.

When people started feeling like three years was a life time?

Sorry forgot about that great experience in the third tier of English football that was a GREAT season!

Hope you're not being sarcastic, because for those of us who aren't old enough to have seen Leicester win a league, or weren't old enough to fully appreciate the MON era it was great. The season before it was terrible, but we still finished top, if you didn't enjoy that season then maybe you need to think again about why you watch football.

Great fun not a 'Great' season. A sad time in our club's great history. That's why it's your job ( along with all the other 15 - 25 year olds) to create our clubs identity again. When it's not happening on the pitch it's your job to make it happen in the stands and that does not mean the fat prat with the drum and those crap chants stolen from every other club in the world. Have a song for every player not dddddd davenport Nugent and nnnnnnnnnnn Ben Marshall real songs.

I'm sorry but for someone my age, that was one of the greatest seasons we've witnessed, along with the first year at the Walkers. Just because it was in League One doesn't stop it being a great season. If you win the league, no matter what division it's in I make that a great season. Maybe you've been spoiled because you saw us win things a lot more frequently than I have, but I honestly believe that was a great season for the club, not just because it was so enjoyable, not just because we topped the table, but because we saw a team that was going nowhere turned into one capable of challenging for promotion back to the Premier League. I'd rather a season like that than watching us lose week in week out in the Premiership, be relegated and pay almost three times the amount for the pleasure. As for your opinion on the atmosphere, I'd suggest that, that 'fat drummer' and those 'crap chants' in the last year or so have done a lot more to spark an atmosphere than anything else in the last few years, and surely that's the important thing. Right now the alternative is silence, I know which I'd rather.

Great fun not a 'Great' season. A sad time in our club's great history. That's why it's your job ( along with all the other 15 - 25 year olds) to create our clubs identity again. When it's not happening on the pitch it's your job to make it happen in the stands and that does not mean the fat prat with the drum and those crap chants stolen from every other club in the world. Have a song for every player not dddddd davenport Nugent and nnnnnnnnnnn Ben Marshall real songs.

What's wrong with the Ben Marshall song?

I'm sorry but for someone my age, that was one of the greatest seasons we've witnessed, along with the first year at the Walkers. Just because it was in League One doesn't stop it being a great season. If you win the league, no matter what division it's in I make that a great season. Maybe you've been spoiled because you saw us win things a lot more frequently than I have, but I honestly believe that was a great season for the club, not just because it was so enjoyable, not just because we topped the table, but because we saw a team that was going nowhere turned into one capable of challenging for promotion back to the Premier League. I'd rather a season like that than watching us lose week in week out in the Premiership, be relegated and pay almost three times the amount for the pleasure. As for your opinion on the atmosphere, I'd suggest that, that 'fat drummer' and those 'crap chants' in the last year or so have done a lot more to spark an atmosphere than anything else in the last few years, and surely that's the important thing. Right now the alternative is silence, I know which I'd rather.

I understand where you are coming from with atmosphere because you don't know any better and i dont mean to be a patronising old git. But how can you say that about the premiership. There is nothing better than being in the top tier of the best league in the world. It is the holy grail.

What's wrong with the Ben Marshall song?

Song?song? how very dare you!

I understand where you are coming from with atmosphere because you don't know any better and i dont mean to be a patronising old git. But how can you say that about the premiership. There is nothing better than being in the top tier of the best league in the world. It is the holy grail.

I enjoy watching football, I don't really care what level that's at. If we were winning games relativley regularly then yes I'd love to be in the top tier. But if given a choice between watching us lose to great sides or beating average ones then I'd choose watching Leicester win every single time. The Premier League may be best for the owners, but I think once the novelty of being there wears off it wouldn't be so enjoyable for the fans. I'd rather pay less to watch us in the Championship winning more frequently because to me the result is more important than the quality of football. I don't leave a 4-3 loss thinking 'That was a great game' I leave thinking 'Well that was horrible'. Now yes that opinion may also be down to me never really seeing a properly enjoyable Premier League season for Leicester, but I honestly think it's overated. That's not to say that I don't want to see us promoted, obviously that's what I want because I want to see us win every game, and yes I'm gutted every year we fail, but should we for instance be breaking the bank and potentially risking the future of the club to achieve it, no, not in my opinion. The owners will gain massivley in turning us into a lower midtable Premier League side, but I don't really feel, myself, like the fans would. Again with the atmosphere, it'd be great if we had a unique one, but reallistically that's not going to happen right now, but a manufctured atmosphere is better than none at all. 'We love you' and the Marshall Chant are great tools that we can use to get people more interested in creating an atmosphere, you can't just click your fingers and it's there, these chants are encouraging people to get involved, stop being so impatient.

Far too serious for your age I'm 40 with 2 young kids I appreciate financial stability at home and the place I work. I am not looking for it from my football club. I want risk and gambles being taken in the hope we get to the promise land. And whether we are there for a season or have the greatest experience in our club's history it doesn't matter but we have to really give it a go. Sorry totally got off the point of the thread I'll shut up now.

Archived