Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
seenitall

When/Why did fans patience for players change?

Yes sorry don't know what I was thinking. Financial stability that's the thing I always think about at 3 on a Saturday afternoon.

You would be thinking about it when you are demoted to the blue square premier after going busy though wouldn't you.

Forget it. I now know why we are in the position we are thanks for clearing it up for me.

You seem like a miserable old sod.

Would you rather have an average championship club living in it's means, or no club at all? I want financial stability at the club because I, and I'd hope every sane person, prefers long term safety over a couple of years of moderate success. If you'd prefer elsewise, go have a chat with the Pompey fans.

You seem like a miserable old sod.

Would you rather have an average championship club living in it's means, or no club at all? I want financial stability at the club because I, and I'd hope every sane person, prefers long term safety over a couple of years of moderate success. If you'd prefer elsewise, go have a chat with the Pompey fans.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

True, however the money we'd have to spend to get moderate success soon would put the club in a great bit of danger. Spend slowly and we can have both success and financial stability - in which case we're back to patience, and not whining like the poster I quoted.

Some great replies here, thanks. I must admit, i find myself drawn in to the total overreaction that comes from a defeat, especially if I have the internet to hand. I guess opinions on players were formed over longer periods of time in the past and the instant success thing permeates everything from music to sport and even to a certain extent how people are treated at work.

Perhaps as well as the post match threads there could be a thread started 24hours after each match called something like post match reflections after a good nights sleep..........we might see a few more balanced arguments (from me as well) and a little more tolerance for players in such a thread

Good idea...but don't hold your breath.

Personally I've been losing interest for years for the same reasons many are bringing up in this thread. There's too much money in the game now and the emphasis is often on avoiding defeat at all costs rather than attacking and entertaining. There's little loyalty shown by clubs, managers or players so it's hard to form any attachment. When I heard that Danns and Gallagher are off, my first thoughts are "So what? Just wheel in another mediocre non-entity who will be in and out of the squad and will disappear a year or so later" That's been the pattern for years, except these days they usually bleat about it on Twitter as they go.

The internet and blanket television coverage has allowed every nuance of every game to be analysed to death. It wouldn't surprise me if eventually fans get bored/broke and we return to the 80s when football was out of fashion with plummeting crowds

Good idea...but don't hold your breath.

Personally I've been losing interest for years for the same reasons many are bringing up in this thread. There's too much money in the game now and the emphasis is often on avoiding defeat at all costs rather than attacking and entertaining. There's little loyalty shown by clubs, managers or players so it's hard to form any attachment. When I heard that Danns and Gallagher are off, my first thoughts are "So what? Just wheel in another mediocre non-entity who will be in and out of the squad and will disappear a year or so later" That's been the pattern for years, except these days they usually bleat about it on Twitter as they go.

The internet and blanket television coverage has allowed every nuance of every game to be analysed to death. It wouldn't surprise me if eventually fans get bored/broke and we return to the 80s when football was out of fashion with plummeting crowds

I definitely enjoyed our footy more in the '80's when the crowds were dropping, it seemed like the club and players belonged more to us. This continued in the '90's but really since we moved out of Filbo, the whole thing has become soulless, with a revolving door of average players who drive flash motors and are not particularly committed to the club.

I cannot think of one current player who I consider Leicester through and through like I did with O neills or Little's teams ( be interesting to see if anyone disagrees with that) but even the supposedly crass and overpaid Prem teams have a few of those - Terry and Lampard, Gerrard Carragher, Scholes, Giggs, even Rooney.

So my patience with the players along with everyone elses runs thin. Perhaps the biggest clue to our demise was the greed shown by moving to a horrible ground, where the personality of the club seemed to die both on and off the pitch.

Can it be turned around? The lack of ambition shown by the younger fans, who would rather win in League 1 or the Championship saddens me and I am perhaps coming to the conclusion that footy is for kids, the Leicester City I loved died at the end of the '90's along with the ground.

Having said that, I can still get excited by a good run and perhaps a couple more years will see a serious challenge for the Prem, not a lame attempt at the sodding play offs, which I always considered a bit of a cheaty way to get promoted (give it to third place). It's gonna take more than fans leaping on to players backs after 3 or 4 games though to build a team we can respect and more importantly, respect us though.

I definitely enjoyed our footy more in the '80's when the crowds were dropping, it seemed like the club and players belonged more to us. This continued in the '90's but really since we moved out of Filbo, the whole thing has become soulless, with a revolving door of average players who drive flash motors and are not particularly committed to the club.

I cannot think of one current player who I consider Leicester through and through like I did with O neills or Little's teams ( be interesting to see if anyone disagrees with that) but even the supposedly crass and overpaid Prem teams have a few of those - Terry and Lampard, Gerrard Carragher, Scholes, Giggs, even Rooney.

So my patience with the players along with everyone elses runs thin. Perhaps the biggest clue to our demise was the greed shown by moving to a horrible ground, where the personality of the club seemed to die both on and off the pitch.

Can it be turned around? The lack of ambition shown by the younger fans, who would rather win in League 1 or the Championship saddens me and I am perhaps coming to the conclusion that footy is for kids, the Leicester City I loved died at the end of the '90's along with the ground.

Having said that, I can still get excited by a good run and perhaps a couple more years will see a serious challenge for the Prem, not a lame attempt at the sodding play offs, which I always considered a bit of a cheaty way to get promoted (give it to third place). It's gonna take more than fans leaping on to players backs after 3 or 4 games though to build a team we can respect and more importantly, respect us though.

:thumbup: Yep. Agree with most of that. It's hard to criticise younger fans though as all some of them have seen is ten years of mediocrity in a soul-less bowl.

I was thinking today that if I catch highlights from decades past I can usually recognise the players from the 90s back to the 70s, even maybe the 60s. If I see highlights from the 00s, half the time I'm thinking "Who the hell is that?". Not sure if this is me getting jaded or a high turnover of faceless players. Maybe a combo of the two.

I remember the O'Neill years and a fair few years before them, and I can totally understand the point about the League One season being better than some in the top flight.

What is fun or satisfying in seeing your team beaten every weekend. Then, a load of sycophantic pundits will pick over the bones while dry humping their favourite clubs and players. The O'Neill years were great, but doing well in any league is better than doing badly in the top one.

And another thing, since I have been going to the football, people have been complaining about the club being hamstrung by an unambitious board who would not invest in the team. That's certainly not true now. Are people happy? :blink:

Lastly, Filbert Street is gone and so has it's atmosphere. No more Cambridge United and cheers heard from as far away as Braunstone. No more goalkeeper baiting and close proximity to the away fans. Also, no more 12 000 for Charlton on the Wednesday night or having a ground which limits us when we actually do make it back to the top flight.

Some people need to forget the nostalgia and take off the rose tinted specs. The new songs are great and the young 'ens are trying to get something going at the Walkers. Why not let them get on with it and sit back in your seat and enjoy it. Yes it is different from the past...

but that doesn't necessarily mean worse!

That's certainly a contributory factor to the lack of patience shown for players and managers by fans. Peoples ability to watch things over and again means players have nowhere to hide like the "old days". Every goal conceded, every bad miss, every pass astray, every tackle mistimed and any time a player caught out of position is seen from every angle and as many times as people choose.

In the same way this exposure has meant the officials jobs are further scrutinised than ever before. Every incorrect decision by a referee or his assistant is immediately brought to everyone's attention and that's why people think that officials are worse than ever when, in truth, they are probably as good as they have always been but are just scrutinised to a much higher degree.

A couple of old boy city fans I know (in their 50's) have compared the relationship they had with city, to that of a son who needs support no matter what goes on on the pitch.

Our supporters now see their 'beloved' LCFC as more of a big brother who has better stuff than they have and can't stand it.

But if he gives the spoilt little turd some of his stuff, then big bro is cool.

True, however the money we'd have to spend to get moderate success soon would put the club in a great bit of danger. Spend slowly and we can have both success and financial stability - in which case we're back to patience, and not whining like the poster I quoted.

The problem is that an opportunity to play in the Premier League is worth so much money that, for an owner willing to lose substantial money in the short run, the risk is worth it. If it fails, they don't have to show up to the ground every other Saturday.

There have been a lot of rich owners that have now bought Championship clubs (or Premiership clubs that have been relegated), leading to an arms race in this division. If teams don't want to spend big, they have to at least be very smart with their transfers. I'm sure a lot of teams don't want to throw around crazy money to build a second-flight team, but they may feel they have no choice.

There are some clubs that do well despite being financial basketcases and some that do well despite being spendthrifts. And while I get what you were saying in regards to that little spat going on the previous page, I don't see the extremes as being good options and I think our owners have learned that lesson. They have reined in their spending and seem to be cutting the wage bill, but have invested in the youth team and are still keeping enough of a pipeline going to bring in new blood (more often as young players this year) when necessary. You might not agree with every move our owners are making, but it does appear that they have decided that going for broke isn't their best bet, and there is a safer way to do their business.

Archived