Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob Weasel Fox

Dross in our squad?

We are talking about dross? Can we all just think back 5-10 years so we can remember what dross actually looked and played like.

This is the best squad we have had for a while, and judging by the average age it is only going to get better.

Rome wasn't built in a day, after the Sven debacle we are back to laying the foundations, but all success is built on solid foundations and not by ripping them up and starting again every time we have a minor set-back.

I've said before and will say it again.

I think we have a squad of quite average players.

King isn't as great as people think he is.

Ben Marshall has lots to learn.

Vardy looks talented, but raw.

Compared to quite a few of the squads this season we are mediocre at present.

We needed more quality over the summer. We didn't get it. We must now somehow get the best out of what we have.

But it's average I'm afraid.

The only player today who looked like he had the footballing brain to bring the ball down and slot it through to the oncoming strikers was Knocky. He strikes me as a player who has been schooled in a different way. He can keep the ball at feet, look up and play the correct ball at the correct time. And he doesn't automatically look to get the ball out wide at his earliest opportunity.

Everybody else looked like merely a mediocre Championship side. Which I think we probably are.

Without having the ability to put any sort of run together home and away, we will finish outside the play offs.

100% spot on!

I've said before and will say it again.

I think we have a squad of quite average players.

King isn't as great as people think he is.

Ben Marshall has lots to learn.

Vardy looks talented, but raw.

Compared to quite a few of the squads this season we are mediocre at present.

We needed more quality over the summer. We didn't get it. We must now somehow get the best out of what we have.

But it's average I'm afraid.

The only player today who looked like he had the footballing brain to bring the ball down and slot it through to the oncoming strikers was Knocky. He strikes me as a player who has been schooled in a different way. He can keep the ball at feet, look up and play the correct ball at the correct time. And he doesn't automatically look to get the ball out wide at his earliest opportunity.

Everybody else looked like merely a mediocre Championship side. Which I think we probably are.

Without having the ability to put any sort of run together home and away, we will finish outside the play offs.

No.

I think we have a pretty decent squad of players who are capable of far more that we have seen this season.

Our preparation and set up are just hopelessly inadequate, we simply are not playing as a team that knows how to get the job done.

Our defenders are simply not organised, our front 6 play so open that they are so far apart that they can not support each other, the work rate of the players can not really be faulted but the overall performance is massively less than the sum of the parts.

I have seem many posts blaming this player or that player, Drinkwater, Dyer and Nugent seem to be todays scapegoats but you know what, I don't think anyone played that badly, they were just playing as instructed, which was the problem.

No.

I think we have a pretty decent squad of players who are capable of far more that we have seen this season.

Our preparation and set up are just hopelessly inadequate, we simply are not playing as a team that knows how to get the job done.

Our defenders are simply not organised, our front 6 play so open that they are so far apart that they can not support each other, the work rate of the players can not really be faulted but the overall performance is massively less than the sum of the parts.

I have seem many posts blaming this player or that player, Drinkwater, Dyer and Nugent seem to be todays scapegoats but you know what, I don't think anyone played that badly, they were just playing as instructed, which was the problem.

You said it last season too Dave to be fair...

:thumbup:

You think it's tactics and formation, I think it's players, tactics and formation.

We have some decent players, but we are short of enough quality to mount much of a challenge IMO. Like last season.

We are talking about dross? Can we all just think back 5-10 years so we can remember what dross actually looked and played like.

This is the best squad we have had for a while, and judging by the average age it is only going to get better.

Rome wasn't built in a day, after the Sven debacle we are back to laying the foundations, but all success is built on solid foundations and not by ripping them up and starting again every time we have a minor set-back.

Couldn't agree more. And yesterday offered further evidence. Even allowing for an indifferent first half and Wolves trying to sit on their lead we pounded them second half and i cannot remember us doing that at Molineux before...not ever. Yes there's some more tweaking needed but what we really need now is not a new team or new manager but the confidence that comes from a good unbeaten run.

Couldn't agree more. And yesterday offered further evidence. Even allowing for an indifferent first half and Wolves trying to sit on their lead we pounded them second half and i cannot remember us doing that at Molineux before...not ever. Yes there's some more tweaking needed but what we really need now is not a new team or new manager but the confidence that comes from a good unbeaten run.

What.. The unbeaten run that we havent had for now over a whole season? Neither under Sven nor Pearson.

I can't recollect not losing ( and certainly not winning) for 3/4 games on the bounce for God knows how long? Does it go back to the run under Sven shortly after Sousa?

What.. The unbeaten run that we havent had for now over a whole season? Neither under Sven nor Pearson.

I can't recollect not losing ( and certainly not winning) for 3/4 games on the bounce for God knows how long? Does it go back to the run under Sven shortly after Sousa?

Last season under Sven, 9 games from Forest through to Derby where we only lost on pens to Cardiff. Now imagine getting sacked after 2 defeats in 11 and ask yourself, if you were Nige with 4 defeats in 5 how you're feeling today. And also ask yourself where we are a year later. Nowhere.

Beggars belief doesn't it? People think this side is dross? When we lined up against Blackpool for the first game of the season in 07/08, this was our side:

31 Paul Henderson 6 4 Bruno N'Gotty 6 5 Gareth McAuley 6 2 James Chambers (Stearman 65) 7 23 Joe Mattock (Hayes 69) 6 14 James Wesolowski 6 8 Radostin Kishishev (Campbell 55) 5 6 Stephen Clemence 8 11 Shaun Newton 8 7 Iain Hume 6 20 Mark De Vries

THAT is dross.

I don't think we have dross in the squad at all, maybe we are missing one or two players with that extra something if you want to be in the top two. But we certainly have enough to be in and around the playoffs for me at least, easily.

Yes we have lost three away games in a similar fashion, I'm not going to say we deserved more. But I don't think anyone would have said we had been lucky if we had come away with more in every game than we currently have done.

If we had been terrible, or showed no signs of decent play then I would agree. But we have dominated huge patches of play in almost every game. Do we need to tweak and refine personnel and tactics. Yes of course, but I don't think the squad or the management needs ripping up and starting against just yet.

Whether Pearson is capable only time will tell, I'm willing to give him time to prove himself one way or another.

Last season under Sven, 9 games from Forest through to Derby where we only lost on pens to Cardiff. Now imagine getting sacked after 2 defeats in 11 and ask yourself, if you were Nige with 4 defeats in 5 how you're feeling today. And also ask yourself where we are a year later. Nowhere.

You keep making this point, and it's stupid. If the season ends now then yes, I would be disappointed, but it doesn't. Ask yourself where we are at the end of the season, not 5 games in.

I don't think we have dross in the squad at all, maybe we are missing one or two players with that extra something if you want to be in the top two. But we certainly have enough to be in and around the playoffs for me at least, easily.

Yes we have lost three away games in a similar fashion, I'm not going to say we deserved more. But I don't think anyone would have said we had been lucky if we had come away with more in every game than we currently have done.

If we had been terrible, or showed no signs of decent play then I would agree. But we have dominated huge patches of play in almost every game. Do we need to tweak and refine personnel and tactics. Yes of course, but I don't think the squad or the management needs ripping up and starting against just yet.

Whether Pearson is capable only time will tell, I'm willing to give him time to prove himself one way or another.

My feelings exactly.

Beggars belief doesn't it? People think this side is dross? When we lined up against Blackpool for the first game of the season in 07/08, this was our side:

31 Paul Henderson 6 4 Bruno N'Gotty 6 5 Gareth McAuley 6 2 James Chambers (Stearman 65) 7 23 Joe Mattock (Hayes 69) 6 14 James Wesolowski 6 8 Radostin Kishishev (Campbell 55) 5 6 Stephen Clemence 8 11 Shaun Newton 8 7 Iain Hume 6 20 Mark De Vries

THAT is dross.

Not sure I agree?

McCauley has gone on to command a regular first team place in a premiership side, Stearman is every bit as good as RDL and most probably better.

There was international pedigree in both NGotty and Kishishev (although both in their twilights) and I think Hume was as good as any striker we have now.

Get your blue tints off perhaps and really look at the squad we have now. Which, still unfortunately, is pretty mediocre IMO.

Not sure I agree?

McCauley has gone on to command a regular first team place in a premiership side, Stearman is every bit as good as RDL and most probably better.

There was international pedigree in both NGotty and Kishishev (although both in their twilights) and I think Hume was as good as any striker we have now.

Get your blue tints off perhaps and really look at the squad we have now. Which, still unfortunately, is pretty mediocre IMO.

I'm not having that middle bit, they were both past it and woeful.

Not sure I agree?

The only player I would have out of that side in our current side is Gareth McAuley. I was never a big fan of Stearman or Hume, and the rest of that team is absolute garbage. Come on Col, 'international pedigree' - is that a joke? They were terrible!

I've not got my blue tinted specs on, I'm just of the opinion that this is one of the better sides we've had in the past few years. If you'd told me a couple of years ago when we had players like Radostin feckin Kishishev that in a few short years we would have a squad including players such as Dave Nugent, Jermaine Beckford, Kasper Schmeichel, Wes Morgan, Zak Whitbread I would have been drooling at the prospect. I think a lot of people are being very harsh on this side, obviously we've not hit the ground running, but don't write them off just yet.

The only player I would have out of that side in our current side is Gareth McAuley. I was never a big fan of Stearman or Hume, and the rest of that team is absolute garbage. Come on Col, 'international pedigree' - is that a joke? They were terrible!

I've not got my blue tinted specs on, I'm just of the opinion that this is one of the better sides we've had in the past few years. If you'd told me a couple of years ago when we had players like Radostin feckin Kishishev that in a few short years we would have a squad including players such as Dave Nugent, Jermaine Beckford, Kasper Schmeichel, Wes Morgan, Zak Whitbread I would have been drooling at the prospect. I think a lot of people are being very harsh on this side, obviously we've not hit the ground running, but don't write them off just yet.

Well I've said I'm not expecting anything till next season anyway. So I'm not in a rush. It's a developing team.

However, 16th in the table and churning out more rubbish like yesterday implies one of two things. Either the squad is just mediocre or Pearson must divert his attention away from playing a flat 4-4-2 away from home. Please don't give me any more excuses, it didn't work last season and it's not working this season.

He must have the tactical acumen to deliver a run of at least 3 or 4 straight wins on the bounce or we will go nowhere. Fact.

And I can't for the life of me see it coming.

Then again, I didn't expect to. This season I think we are just average.

Hope I'm wrong.

I'm sorry mate I know where you are coming from, but 'the likes of Nugent, Beckford and Whitbread'?

Beckford is currently not even making a cameo appearance from the bench and has been subbed off by Pearson more times than any player I can remember. Nugent hasn't scored in 11 games and Whitbread has played a ridiculously small amount of games during his career.

Come on Rich... Get a bit of balance mate. You accuse me of suggesting our squad is just average, while you think it's miles better than it really is IMO.

We desperately needed two or three really good players brought in over the summer to have a strong shout this season at promotion. They werent forthcoming so we will have to get on with what we have.

I'm sorry mate I know where you are coming from, but 'the likes of Nugent, Beckford and Whitbread'?

Beckford is currently not even making a cameo appearance from the bench and has been subbed off by Pearson more times than any player I can remember. Nugent hasn't scored in 11 games and Whitbread has played a ridiculously small amount of games during his career.

Come on Rich... Get a bit of balance mate. You accuse me of suggesting our squad is just average, while you think it's miles better than it really is IMO.

We desperately needed two or three really good players brought in over the summer to have a strong shout this season at promotion. They werent forthcoming so we will have to get on with what we have.

Yes, if you'd told me we'd have players like Nugent, Beckford, Morgan and Whitbread when we had the likes of Cort, Hammond, N'Gotty and Kishishev, yeah - I would've been well excited.

I'm not suggesting our squad is miles better than it is and I'm well aware of the problems in the squad - defending and defending as a team being the absolute key issue. I just take issue with people saying our squad is average - we've got a talented squad. Not the best in the league, but a lot better than a lot of the other teams we're competing against.

The annoying thing is, some of the people who are saying we've got a crap squad now are the same people who were saying what a great squad we had a couple of weeks ago. A couple of losses doesn't make it a bad squad, a couple of wins doesn't make it a good one. I think if you asked a lot of opposition fans in this league, many of them would love a squad like ours.

Our away form must concern people, but at the end of the day we've played two of the three relegated teams away from home - these were always going to be tough games and we still aquitted ourselves fairly well. I just think people are really overreacting to some poor results in a very tough run of games.

You said it last season too Dave to be fair...

You think it's tactics and formation, I think it's players, tactics and formation.

We have some decent players, but we are short of enough quality to mount much of a challenge IMO. Like last season.

Morning Col...... :)

Yesterday was strange. I watched the game in a pub close to me, no one else was interested so the landlord put it on a plasma in one corner with the sound off. I watched the game pretty much on my own, people came over for a look now and again but were not that interested so wandered off.

Now, without commentary or other distractions, the thing that struck me was our woeful lack of team play. In defence if someone made an error there was rarely any cover, both goals came from players unmarked in our box, ok the Wolves players did well to lose their marker but where was the cover?....... :dunno:

(Contrast that to what happened at the other end, our strikers got clear, or beat their marker on many occasions but were immediately closed down by a covering player, we have seen little of that from City this season...... :( )

Similarly in midfield people are complaining about our poor passing, but where are our options? Drinkwater and King/James are put under pressure but no one is showing for the ball, our strikers are well forward, our wide men are hugging the side lines and our full backs nowhere to be seen........ :dunno:

Result is a forced pass or a long ball up front or out wide and many of them just get picked off.

Our combination play is just poor, no support for the man on the ball and few forward options either, it is as if each of our players are given the ball and required to go and beat the opposition on their own.

The only time I thought any of our players combined well was the De Laet/Knockeart play down our right, Knockeart coming inside moving the defenders about and creating space out wide for De Laet.

I saw no comparable play anywhere else on the pitch for the whole game, that I thought was the problem..... :cry:

From what I saw yesterday, apart from those two awful defensive errors at set pieces, we looked far the better side particularly when Knockaert came on. Where we came up short was in the penalty area in that for all the good work in the build up, there was little or no threat to the Wolves goal.

The defensive errors can be sorted on the training ground but the inability to finish is not so simple. Vardy is a trier, no doubting that, but by being in the starting line-up he's having to learn quickly but I do believe he will come good - though whether he'll be the 20 goals a season man ( League not cup for those of that persuasion) we need is another matter.

Nugent also tries but no goals in, is it 10 or 11 ?, isn't good for his confidence and that showed yesterday.

Equally Waghorn tries when he comes on and does run around a lot but the problem is that you don't get promoted with a team that runs around a lot. If Mr B actually scored I wouldn't really care if he was the laziest player on the planet but he doesn't. I do wonder whether Futacs might have been an option to come on yesterday particularly when Knockaert and De Laet started putting balls in to the box.

Overall, we aren't a bad team and I don't believe the time is yet right for rash decisions such as sacking the manager however the next two home games could prove pivotal to the season. 2 wins and everyone's smiling again, anything less than 4 points out of 6 and the floor will be open to those preaching "We're all doomed". I'm not a big fan of Pearson, he can come across as incredibly arrogant even though he doesn't have the credentials to back that up, and, by various accounts, his man management skills might need a little work, but at the moment he is the manager and he, above all, knows what's expected of him and the price if he fails.

It'll be interesting to see what everyone's saying come next Monday.

Yes, if you'd told me we'd have players like Nugent, Beckford, Morgan and Whitbread when we had the likes of Cort, Hammond, N'Gotty and Kishishev, yeah - I would've been well excited.

I'm not suggesting our squad is miles better than it is and I'm well aware of the problems in the squad - defending and defending as a team being the absolute key issue. I just take issue with people saying our squad is average - we've got a talented squad. Not the best in the league, but a lot better than a lot of the other teams we're competing against.

The annoying thing is, some of the people who are saying we've got a crap squad now are the same people who were saying what a great squad we had a couple of weeks ago. A couple of losses doesn't make it a bad squad, a couple of wins doesn't make it a good one. I think if you asked a lot of opposition fans in this league, many of them would love a squad like ours.

Our away form must concern people, but at the end of the day we've played two of the three relegated teams away from home - these were always going to be tough games and we still aquitted ourselves fairly well. I just think people are really overreacting to some poor results in a very tough run of games.

Ill go with that Rich... Hope you're right mate

This is exactly the point, 3 tough away games against 2 ex prem outfits and a newly promoted team on a good run and we go and play a wide open 4-4-2 that lets the opposition score twice in the opening half...... :frusty:

Sure we came back strongly, but only after the opposition sat back and let us play. Did we genuinely look like we were going to get something from the game?

Not that I saw (Charlton and Wolves)........ :(

Archived