Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bob Weasel Fox

Dross in our squad?

I was a big fan during his loan spell, I like that he works hard, I think he's a good player with a lot of potential and I think that he genuinley cares about playing football. That doesn't mean that I think he's 'quality' or that he should even be starting games (because for the moment I'd have Vardy/Nugent ahead of him for the most part). I know not dissmissing players based on one or two seasons when they're missused or injured must be an extraordinary concept for you, someone who rights off players before they've even signed, but some of us like to give them at least a full season of football before making judgements.

So you can make a positive judgement on a 2? 3? month loan spell where he's trying to prove himself but not over 2-3 seasons where he's been at the club?? He's not been injured that whole time either - he hasn't been selected because he's not good enough to be.

From what I saw yesterday, apart from those two awful defensive errors at set pieces, we looked far the better side particularly when Knockaert came on. Where we came up short was in the penalty area in that for all the good work in the build up, there was little or no threat to the Wolves goal.

The defensive errors can be sorted on the training ground but the inability to finish is not so simple. Vardy is a trier, no doubting that, but by being in the starting line-up he's having to learn quickly but I do believe he will come good - though whether he'll be the 20 goals a season man ( League not cup for those of that persuasion) we need is another matter.

Nugent also tries but no goals in, is it 10 or 11 ?, isn't good for his confidence and that showed yesterday.

Equally Waghorn tries when he comes on and does run around a lot but the problem is that you don't get promoted with a team that runs around a lot. If Mr B actually scored I wouldn't really care if he was the laziest player on the planet but he doesn't. I do wonder whether Futacs might have been an option to come on yesterday particularly when Knockaert and De Laet started putting balls in to the box.

Overall, we aren't a bad team and I don't believe the time is yet right for rash decisions such as sacking the manager however the next two home games could prove pivotal to the season. 2 wins and everyone's smiling again, anything less than 4 points out of 6 and the floor will be open to those preaching "We're all doomed". I'm not a big fan of Pearson, he can come across as incredibly arrogant even though he doesn't have the credentials to back that up, and, by various accounts, his man management skills might need a little work, but at the moment he is the manager and he, above all, knows what's expected of him and the price if he fails.

It'll be interesting to see what everyone's saying come next Monday.

i think thats the problem, we have a squad full of players who run around alot but where is the quality? That is the original point i was making on this thread, not so much trying to have a go at the players who put the effort in (we need effort and endeavour) but where is the "Izzet" like quality of this squad?

i think thats the problem, we have a squad full of players who run around alot but where is the quality? That is the original point i was making on this thread, not so much trying to have a go at the players who put the effort in (we need effort and endeavour) but where is the "Izzet" like quality of this squad?

Knockaert and Marshall that is about it well they have the potential to be prem players of a good quality imo.

Knockaert and Marshall that is about it well they have the potential to be prem players of a good quality imo.

yeah exactly, i agree Knocky looks real quality imo. Marshall is good, as is Morgan, Vardy, Drinky?, Nugent (when on form) but then you start to scratch your head a bit after that? (maybe Kingy on his day etc)

yeah exactly, i agree Knocky looks real quality imo. Marshall is good, as is Morgan, Vardy, Drinky?, Nugent (when on form) but then you start to scratch your head a bit after that? (maybe Kingy on his day etc)

What's happened to a winger or the fullback coming in at the far post when the crosses are zipping over???? The chances that went begging because there was no one taking a chance on the numerous crosses that were being put in the danger zone....... Come on NP sort it out, be a bit more adventureous.

This is exactly the point, 3 tough away games against 2 ex prem outfits and a newly promoted team on a good run and we go and play a wide open 4-4-2 that lets the opposition score twice in the opening half...... :frusty:

Sure we came back strongly, but only after the

opposition sat back and let us play. Did we genuinely look like we were going to get something from the game

Not that I saw (Charlton and Wolves)........ :(

Both goals came from set pieces. That's basic training ground organisation, not formation.

Both goals came from set pieces. That's basic training ground organisation, not formation.

http://www.lcfc.com/news/article/170912-morgan-looking-to-extend-home-run-371578.aspx

“You can practise set-pieces all week long, but it’s about doing it on the day and we didn’t do that,†Morgan admitted.

lol Doesn't look they do :whistle:

So you can make a positive judgement on a 2? 3? month loan spell where he's trying to prove himself but not over 2-3 seasons where he's been at the club?? He's not been injured that whole time either - he hasn't been selected because he's not good enough to be.

What the ****?

First Season - He was here for the entire season on loan, did a very good job (Like much better than Beckford in this league and I'm pretty sure you rate him). Maybe the fact that you think it was only 2 or 3 months shows exactly how much you know about him, and Leicester in general.

Second Season - Missused by Sousa, played on the wing. Then again misused by Sven before eventually being phased out. Not used upfront in a 4-4-2, clearly his favoured role and also the system we currently employ.

Third Season - Injured pretty much all season.

Which one to you seems the fairest to judge him on?

I think our players are as good as most sides in the league with a few exceptions (Including three of the teams we have played) but how they apply themselves in a team is just as important as the quality of player if we are to challenge for a top six place. On very rare occasions it is possible to throw players together and get immediate results but most of the time building a team takes a few years and a few transfer windows. With a loan deal or two in the next few weeks and possibly an addition or two in January our squad could look stronger by strengthening the weaker areas with a little bit of quality and/or experience.

We achieved a play off place a few seasons ago with this same manager and a far weaker squad (IMO) so we need to have a little bit of patience while he irons out the weaknesses in our game which no-one can really deny are there. I honestly believe we have moved forward from last year in terms of the quality of both our players and our style of play and with one or two additions could see us pushing for promotion either this year or next. It would of nice to have hit the ground running and been an early pace setter but realistically that was always going to difficult for a new look, young side against some very good teams with a number of the best players this division has to offer.

And it is our poor set up and lack of cover that leads to our defenders giving the ball away, conceding corners and giving away freekicks in dangerous positions.

That said, our defending from set pieces gas been rubbish all season...... :thumbup:

And it is our poor set up and lack of cover that leads to our defenders giving the ball away, conceding corners and giving away freekicks in dangerous positions.

That said, our defending from set pieces gas been rubbish all season...... :thumbup:

It isn't that at all. So far this season we've had 43 corners to our opponents' 25, so clearly we're doing a far better job of creating openings and/or defending than you're giving is credit for.

Either that or the two aren't linked.

Spot on Dave... You seem to appreciate that its the pressure that the rest of the team is put under which makes us concede free kicks and the like so often. The back four then get bombarded.

Keep the ball better, control the game more and the pressure placed onto our defenders becomes less.

'conceding from set pieces' becomes less of an issue if we don't concede as many set pieces.

Spot on Dave... You seem to appreciate that its the pressure that the rest of the team is put under which makes us concede free kicks and the like so often. The back four then get bombarded.

Keep the ball better, control the game more and the pressure placed onto our defenders becomes less.

'conceding from set pieces' becomes less of an issue if we don't concede as many set pieces.

I have illustrated that this logic is fundamentally flawed.

Either there is little connection between the number of set pieces given away and the ability of a team to retain possession or we're much better than our opponents at it, in which case the claim that 4-4-2 is our undoing is clear bollocks.

There are 3 factors which are causing us problems at the moment, and none of them are to do with formation:

1) Poor finishing

2) Poor defending at set pieces

3) Luck.

Dont think anybody can really deny that were creating a lot more chances this season. The sheer number of corners weve had shows were good going forward, we just dont have anybody who can finish consistantly, if it's possible Nige should be doing everything he can to bring a decent striker in on loan.

I'm sorry but Moore giving the ball away stupidly had nothing to do with lack of support, no DM, not having 75 players in our half defending. It was to do with him making a terrible pass and a poor decision. He could have just kicked it out of play if he wasn't sure. He and only he chose to try something stupid and pumped the ball straight to their player.

You and Dave seem to attempt to make every mistake fit into what you believe is wrong. When sometimes there is a much clearer and simpler reason. A terrible decision by a player to choose the more difficult option.

If you go through every goal in our history you can probably point the finger and say oooh more cover would have stopped that, or oooh a DM would have been in the right place to stop that.

I'm sorry but Moore giving the ball away stupidly had nothing to do with lack of support, no DM, not having 75 players in our half defending. It was to do with him making a terrible pass and a poor decision. He could have just kicked it out of play if he wasn't sure. He and only he chose to try something stupid and pumped the ball straight to their player.

You and Dave seem to attempt to make every mistake fit into what you believe is wrong. When sometimes there is a much clearer and simpler reason. A terrible decision by a player to choose the more difficult option.

If you go through every goal in our history you can probably point the finger and say oooh more cover would have stopped that, or oooh a DM would have been in the right place to stop that.

Right...

The strange thing is that, during Pearson's championship play-off season, we kept 17 clean sheets (the 4th best in the league)?

Last season, Hull kept 18 clean sheets (the 2nd best in the league).

Therefore, you are implying:

A. Jack Hobbs is a fookin good defender at this level?

B. Our current defence, by comparison, is shite. This is not good seeing as our manager is an ex-defender?

C. All of our various defenders, vis-a-vis Pearson's previous City team, and Hull were also shite?

I think Pearson sets up good defences. If you don't agree with A,B or C, something else must be the problem.....

Or, if you do agree with A,B or C..well ok....

My opinion is that our current (and last seasons squad) can't defend well as a team. (I'm sure Pearson even said this in the post-match interview yesterday?) Even when we had Steve Howard playing we could lump it up to him, he could keep it and take pressure off the rest of the team. And Wellens, when a couple of years younger, could get the ball from the back four and keep it for a bit. This is my theory. Therefore, my solution would be to put some steel in the midfield and play a striker who can retain the ball better. If not, A,B, or C must be true.

Right...

The strange thing is that, during Pearson's championship play-off season, we kept 17 clean sheets (the 4th best in the league)?

Last season, Hull kept 18 clean sheets (the 2nd best in the league).

Therefore, you are implying:

A. Jack Hobbs is a fookin good defender at this level?

B. Our current defence, by comparison, is shite. This is not good seeing as our manager is an ex-defender?

C. All of our various defenders, vis-a-vis Pearson's previous City team, and Hull were also shite?

I think Pearson sets up good defences. If you don't agree with A,B or C, something else must be the problem.....

Or, if you do agree with A,B or C..well ok....

We've kept 2/5 so if that is our average for the season then that will 18/46 clean sheets, about the same then.

Nail on head.

It was careless and needless by Moore to give the ball away, nothing to do with not having a defensive midfielder.

We've kept 2/5 so if that is our average for the season then that will 18/46 clean sheets, about the same then.

If that does become the average for the season, and we don't start scoring more goals, we will most likely end up outside the play offs.

Just look at the stats, which show that our 'assists' and goals scored are way off already.

If that does become the average for the season, and we don't start scoring more goals, we will most likely end up outside the play offs.

Just look at the stats, which show that our 'assists' and goals scored are way off already.

That will be disappointing but there will 18 teams in the same position or worse (relegated) and we'll go again next year with hopefully an improvement or two. For someone who says they are patient and understands it is work in progress you want quite a lot immediately, I have to say.

That will be disappointing but there will 18 teams in the same position or worse (relegated) and we'll go again next year with hopefully an improvement or two. For someone who says they are patient and understands it is work in progress you want quite a lot immediately, I have to say.

Nope, I am patient... what I won't do is the simple thing of laying all the blame at the feet (or head) of Moore, Mills, Bamba, SSL, Peltier et al.

You watch, RDL will be the next one to become ostracised for shipping soft goals.. Like Peltier was last season. Either they are all pretty poor, or they are not supported enough by the midfield. I think its the latter.

Archived