Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC Todd

Jan - Tough tackling experienced midfielder needed?

Now don't get me wrong - i like the midfield partnership of King and Drinkwater but we lack strength in midfield since the chances of us recalling Danns back are slim as a Superskinny person on Supersize v Superskinny, it seems to me that we would be wise to invest in a tough tackling experienced midfielder that could either partner King or Drinkwater or deputise if one gets injured. I haven't forgotten about Matty James either but he's not experienced.

Now i'm not going to be a Football Manager goon and suggest players I've seen on there, so i'll admit i don't have a very good idea on who we could get. Thoughts?

Great - I think you make some good points too, just stick it in one of the existing threads. Personally I think we could probably do with a CM with a bit more guile and experience, I don't really think we need a tough tackling midfielder, just an older head every now and then to work with our current midfield. I don't think there's anything wrong with King and Drinky at all and I'd be perfectly happy if that was our first choice CM pairing for the rest of the season, we just need a bit of competition for places in the middle of the park and a bit of experience - I'm thinking someone like Morgan in terms of experience - could be useful to have in midfield.

I don't subscribe to this whole 'we need a strong, tough tackling midfield' nonsense though - what we need is for our surrent midfield to stop switching off. When they want to, King and Drinky can boss the midfield against anyone, but when they're not on their game, they lose the ball and get overrun. We need them to stay focussed more often.

Yeah like i said I like King and Drinkwater and i think they are good enough but it's just against some opposition i feel we lack a little strength in midfield, whether this is because they switch off or they're not getting stuck in enough, that's up to you.

Yeah like i said I like King and Drinkwater and i think they are good enough but it's just against some opposition i feel we lack a little strength in midfield, whether this is because they switch off or they're not getting stuck in enough, that's up to you.

I think if they weren't letting passes go astray all the time they wouldn't need to be strong - the opposition wouldn't get anywhere near the ball. We've seen it plenty of times this season, most notably at Blackburn away. They had a right couple of bruisers in midfield in Murphy and Etuhu, yet they didn't get a sniff for 90 mins. What we need is for King and Drinky to play like that more often.

I think if they weren't letting passes go astray all the time they wouldn't need to be strong - the opposition wouldn't get anywhere near the ball. We've seen it plenty of times this season, most notably at Blackburn away. They had a right couple of bruisers in midfield in Murphy and Etuhu, yet they didn't get a sniff for 90 mins. What we need is for King and Drinky to play like that more often.

But are they inexperienced or perhaps don't have the quality of performances to be consistent all the time?

That is why we need another option in their who is on par with their quality or better even.

100% agree with you, said this all season, we need more muscle in the midfield, I don't think drinkwater it too bad on that front but king just is not that sort of player, in regards to buying one, we've got one on loan at bristol city, but the chances of nigel recalling him are small so defo go for that type of player in jan

100% agree with you, said this all season, we need more muscle in the midfield, I don't think drinkwater it too bad on that front but king just is not that sort of player, in regards to buying one, we've got one on loan at bristol city, but the chances of nigel recalling him are small so defo go for that type of player in jan

Danns, tackling and muscle just don't go together lol

He's absolute shite. People call him a tough tackler, he's just a bad tackler. Can't time his tackles for shit and ends up giving free kicks away all over the park and getting cards all the time.

Kingy is by far our best midfielder, Drinkwater is outstanding on his day, but he's too inconsistent. It's often when he doesn't play well that we struggle - King very rarely has a bad game but if his CM partner doesn't perform well it's difficult for him to influence the game. I would like us to buy a new CM in January to provide some competition because I don't think James is banging on the door for a first team place and the lack of competition might explain why DD is getting a bit complacent/inconsistent.

These types of threads come around often, but you are entitled to make them. I of course agree with what you say, as some will know.

However everyone who is making these threads also include a sentence which either says bring in Wellens or bring back Danns.

NO JUST NO :mad:

Genuinely would have no interest in a tough tackler if they're a poor footballer. No use knackering our style to accommodate one, we're backing a style of play that players should fit into, rather than one we should work around players we buy.

Archived