Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LanguedocFox

The best Leicester City team,,, ever?

The Gillies side that nearly won the double, the Bloomfield side that were the most entertaining team in England for three years or the MO'N side that afforded us so many trips to Wembley and took us to Europe twice. Not to mention having a World Cup winning goalkeeper and a 'keeper who'd go on to become England's most capped ever player.

This side has so much potential, but it has a lot to live up to. If however it can stay together and live up to its promise, we could be in for another MO'N style era.

Here here- completely. Just ashamed to say I was a spotty faced teenager at the time who thought Bloomfield should go to ards the end of his reign just because 1 year we hadn't finished higher than top 6ish!

Banks

Mills

Elliott

Walsh

Nish

Weller

Lennon

Parker

Glover

Worthington

Lineker

Surely there is room for the top scorer in the history of English football Arthur Rowley? The two Arthur's up front for me, harsh to leave out Lineker.

Back to the original point this team has defiantly the potential to be our best all around team ever so much young talent that IF they stay together over a long period of time could really go places the likes of Kasper Knockaert James De Laet and Drinkwater will all play premier league football with or without us.

Here here- completely. Just ashamed to say I was a spotty faced teenager at the time who thought Bloomfield should go to ards the end of his reign just because 1 year we hadn't finished higher than top 6ish!

Haha at least it shows Leocester supporters have always been the same not just the current crop calling for the managers head after a couple of bad games

Guest bss9401

I am 45 and I say that Milne's side of the mid 80's was close to O'neill's heyday. We finished in the same league position and had a truly world class strike force. It was a shame that the timing coincided with the economic depression and the dark days of football violence leading to poor attendances and an all time low opinion of the sport.

I’ve been going down filbert St and the King Power for the last 20 years so can only comment on teams since 1990’s onwards!

In terms of result the answer would be no as Martin O’Neill, Micky Adam and even Brian Little, all achieved promotion and O’Neill went on to achieve 5 top 10 Premier league finishes.

But I do think this side plays a more expansive, attractive passing style then any other City side I’ve seen, we also have a lot of young players with a lot of potential

Only time will tell if this side can match the achievement of O’Neill side!

Finishing top ten in the premiership. That's our best side ever.

But if the standard of English football has improved massively since then? The top few sides in this league aren't that far behind the bottom few sides in the Sky Premiership. 10 years ago the gap was much bigger. So statistically no definitely not the best side, but mam for man and overall quality as a team, it doesn't seem all that daft in what the OP is stating

I see where you are coming from.

I've said this before, we have a very good mix of young players that if we can hold on to for 2/3 years could progress into very good Premiership footballers.

Schmeichel (26) - young in Goalkeeper terms and has shown glimpses off excellence, part of the meanest Championship defence.

De Laet (24) - hardly put a foot wrong this season, can defend and attack.

Moore (19) - Has shown some mature performances for a 19 year old at right back and centre back. Has leadership qualities and built like a brick shithouse.

Schlupp (20) - Has also shown versatility, quick, strong, raw.

Drinkwater (22) - Midfield maestro playing like a 27-year old.

James (21) - Put in a couple of promising performances, if he could do this more consistently he has the potential to do well.

Knockaert (21) - Arsenal's been sniffing and not long until a few other Prem clubs are too.

Marshall (21) - Some excellent performances last season and has shown glimpses of that this season too. We all know he has great technique. Cracking future.

Wood (21) - Been somewhat of a Championship journeyman but has scored in numbers where ever he's been. Only 21 and settling down will do him the world of good.

King (24) - One of the more experienced 'young lads', has developed with us throughout the years and knows the club inside out. Could become a 1-club man I reckon. Legend in the making.

Waghorn (22) - Has shown some recent form to suggest he's got over his injury and fitness issues. Confidence will flow soon.

There's 11 players that could easily make up a core of players for the next 3/4/5 years and this is without a doubt a long term project from Pearson and I'm loving it.

A maximum of 2 of those will still be here in 5 years time. I don't know which 2, but to think that:

A) All/most of these players will mature into having the sort of quality to hold down a place in a "best ever" side and

B) That they'd all stay that long if they were good enough...

...is fanciful in the extreme.

But if the standard of English football has improved massively since then? The top few sides in this league aren't that far behind the bottom few sides in the Sky Premiership. 10 years ago the gap was much bigger. So statistically no definitely not the best side, but mam for man and overall quality as a team, it doesn't seem all that daft in what the OP is stating

Sky would like you to believe the football has got 'better'. It hasn't. It's quicker. It's not 'better'

Of this current side, not one would get a start in the M'ON Prem side.

Sky would like you to believe the football has got 'better'. It hasn't. It's quicker. It's not 'better'

Of this current side, not one would get a start in the M'ON Prem side.

Really? Morgan? Kasper? Nugent? Knocky?

Besides, I'm stating that the Championship has got better not the Premiership. Sky wouldn't have anyone thinking the Championship has got better, afterall, only the Premiership exists in their eyes ;)

Really? Morgan? Kasper? Nugent? Knocky?

Against Walsh/Elliott? Flowers/Keller? Heskey? Guppy?

The current bunch, with all due respect, are literally not in their league.

Besides, I'm stating that the Championship has got better not the Premiership. Sky wouldn't have anyone thinking the Championship has got better, afterall, only the Premiership exists in their eyes ;)

The Championship is dross and has been for a while. Look where last season's top 2 are in the current Premier table for proof.

Guest MattP

The Championship is dross and has been for a while. Look where last season's top 2 are in the current Premier table for proof.

Look at West Ham who were third though for devils etc. Fact is both the Championship and the PL have declined in quality over the last few years, the Newcastle and West Brom sides that went up would piss this league.

The division was a lot stronger last time we won it and we needed players of the quality of Dickov, Deane, Taggart, Elliott, Izzet etc to win a championship that was difficult.

The Gillies side that nearly won the double

I probably think that's correct when you look at what they nearly achieved.

And the year before, the promoted teams, QPR, Norwich and Swansea finished 17th, 12th and 11th respectively. I don't think the gap is that wide, I think as long as you buy correctly in the summer to give you some experience of the league and add a bit of talent to what you've already got then you've got a good chance of staying up.

Watch one of the many nothing games from the PL that Sky show most weeks, the bottom 10 in the Prem aren't much better than the Championship top 10. Remember watching WBA v West Ham the other week and thinking the quality was very poor. Lower PL matches aren't as entertaining as top Championship fixtures either I reckon.

Banks

Mills

Elliott

Walsh

Nish

Weller

Lennon

Parker

Glover

Worthington

Lineker

I think you misread my original post. Sure these were great players, but they never played together. My question is whether the current lot is potentially the best side we've had, because I can't really see an area of weakness (other than lack of experience). On the other hand, I don't see them week in/week out.

This side certainly has a lot of potential but that means nothing unless the players and team reach their full potential. Even if they do that it means nothing until they achieve something so until they at least get promotion, we can't call them anything other than a potentially good team

Archived