Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
KingPowerLCFC1884

Premier League Standard Players!

Schmeichel, Morgan, King, Knockaert, Nugent and Wood should be able to cut it in the Premier League.

De Laet, St Ledger, Drinkwater, James would be good squad players.

SSL plays against premiership standard players at International level and does well.

We have plenty of players good enough for the vastly overrated premiership.

Theres a lot worse players playing in the Prem than our players.

A few teams that aren't as good as us too.

Stop putting us down all the while. We ain't too bad.

No cuddles for you!

Honestly I think this team is as good as any lower end PL team and any player in our starting 11 "could" play in the premier league to some degree. IF we get there, the backbone of this team should stay in tact and with a couple of decent additions they can be a team that competes in the PL at least for a mid table spot for now!

Top post, I agree 100% give that man a cuddle 😱

Its funny how no one understands goalkeeping. Do you not put the fact that kasper is underworked down to the good organization between him and the defence? They have a very good understaning. Having very little to do is alot harder than being involved in the game all the time. Goalkeeping is 80%mental and kasper is very good at making the right decisions at the right time and provides stability to the players in front of him. His role has changed from last season this season he has to do alot more sweeping behind the defence and he is on of the best in the leauge at this. It scares me to hear how misunderstood the role of the goalkeeper is people just look at shot stopping and catching crosses... Where all the little and alot more difficult thing are never taken into consideration. There is a severe lack of education on goalkeeping in the uk. So to the question YES kasper is 100% prem class. Just wait and see...

The team's improving, but it's nowhere near good enough to survive in the Premier League at this moment in time, not without significant improvements. Some of our young players just really aren't ready to start week in week out in that division, Drinkwater could never run Premier League games as he does some Championship games, Knockaert would get found out straight away as he's got a lot of maturing to do.

Not that it's a massive issue I should imagine if we do go up you'd see at least 5 or 6 additions made to the squad.

Find it strange that someone like Paul Konchesky who's years and years of Premier League experince could be key for us should we go up is being singled out as obviously not Premier League class, despite having 150 Premier League apperances under his belt, as he's had a slightly indifferent half a season. Yet someone like Nugent who has had three stabs at the Premier League and fell woefully short of double figures every single time is obviously going to score us 10+ Premier League goals just because he's having a decent season in the Championship.

Its funny how no one understands goalkeeping. Do you not put the fact that kasper is underworked down to the good organization between him and the defence? They have a very good understaning. Having very little to do is alot harder than being involved in the game all the time. Goalkeeping is 80%mental and kasper is very good at making the right decisions at the right time and provides stability to the players in front of him. His role has changed from last season this season he has to do alot more sweeping behind the defence and he is on of the best in the leauge at this. It scares me to hear how misunderstood the role of the goalkeeper is people just look at shot stopping and catching crosses... Where all the little and alot more difficult thing are never taken into consideration. There is a severe lack of education on goalkeeping in the uk. So to the question YES kasper is 100% prem class. Just wait and see...

Why do you constantly say "no one understands goalkeeping" whenever they criticise Schmeichel.

Stop talking down at people and looking down your nose at them.

I understand goalkeeping just fine and I understand that it is more than just making the odd hollywood save, which is why Schmiechel is far from the finished product and I can't see how you can make out his decision making and "sweeping" is so good. It's the mental side of the game which is his problem, he's so over-enthusiastic and wants to "attack" everything: He comes charging out for everything and that's exactly the issue I have with him. He's cost us goals and games this season and last because he's come charging out for a corner or a cross or a through ball which he's never going to make and the attacker gets them before him whereas if he'd stayed on his line he'd have stayed on his line he'd have won us the game. He needs to learn to calm down, keep a decent head on his shoulders and be more conservative on his decision making, instead of flipping out and trying to be the hero all the time. Shouting and being passionate does not make a good mental game.

With regards to organising the defence, every Pearson side is so good at restrictring opportunities and history suggests it's never anything to do with the goalkeeper, it's the defence. In League One we had a dreadful array of goalkeepers, as did Hull under him but those sides still conceded so few and were so organised and the worst Pearson defence we've ever seen was last season, of which Schmiechel was a part of.

Personally, I think Schmeichel is a very mediocre, error prone Championship goalkeeper who is still living off a good first 4 or 5 months here, but has been poor for the last 12 months. He has potential, but I really can't see him succeeding in the Premier League until he keeps his head on his shoulders, drastically improves his decision making.and his distribution.

And if you're going to rebuttal, rather than just saying "no understands goalkeeping, no one understands the hundreds of little things he does that most Premier League standard goalkeepers don't do which more than make up for the points he costs us with bad decision making and attacks he breaks up with dreadful distribution" you could at least try to explain to all us ignorant people who don't understand goalkeeping what all these little things which most Premier League goalkeepers don't possess are.

Why do you constantly say "no one understands goalkeeping" whenever they criticise Schmeichel.

Stop talking down at people and looking down your nose at them.

I understand goalkeeping just fine and I understand that it is more than just making the odd hollywood save, which is why Schmiechel is far from the finished product and I can't see how you can make out his decision making and "sweeping" is so good. It's the mental side of the game which is his problem, he's so over-enthusiastic and wants to "attack" everything: He comes charging out for everything and that's exactly the issue I have with him. He's cost us goals and games this season and last because he's come charging out for a corner or a cross or a through ball which he's never going to make and the attacker gets them before him whereas if he'd stayed on his line he'd have stayed on his line he'd have won us the game. He needs to learn to calm down, keep a decent head on his shoulders and be more conservative on his decision making, instead of flipping out and trying to be the hero all the time. Shouting and being passionate does not make a good mental game.

With regards to organising the defence, every Pearson side is so good at restrictring opportunities and history suggests it's never anything to do with the goalkeeper, it's the defence. In League One we had a dreadful array of goalkeepers, as did Hull under him but those sides still conceded so few and were so organised and the worst Pearson defence we've ever seen was last season, of which Schmiechel was a part of.

Personally, I think Schmeichel is a very mediocre, error prone Championship goalkeeper who is still living off a good first 4 or 5 months here, but has been poor for the last 12 months. He has potential, but I really can't see him succeeding in the Premier League until he keeps his head on his shoulders, drastically improves his decision making.and his distribution.

And if you're going to rebuttal, rather than just saying "no understands goalkeeping, no one understands the hundreds of little things he does that most Premier League standard goalkeepers don't do which more than make up for the points he costs us with bad decision making and attacks he breaks up with dreadful distribution" you could at least try to explain to all us ignorant people who don't understand goalkeeping what all these little things which most Premier League goalkeepers don't possess are.

Listen I completly disagree with EVERYTHING that you have said. You are totally clueless in my opinion. Im not going to bother going into details as you clearly dont understand

Listen I completly disagree with EVERYTHING that you have said. You are totally clueless in my opinion. Im not going to bother going into details as you clearly dont understand

Shut it you're not Mike Stowell ffs

He's right though, sometimes his decision making is awful and he often lets his passion and temper get the better of him, to his and the team's detriment. He had a good season last year, but he's not infallible. I'm not saying he's a bad keeper or anything, he's one of the best keepers we've had for a while, but no player is perfect and to say that he's definitely 100% prem class is a bit premature - if he was, then he'd either still be at city competing with Joe Hart, or he'd be at another Premier League club. There's a reason he's been in the second tier for a while now - he's not quite there yet.

shut up you arrogant idiot, your not a goalkeeper or a goalkeeping coach , so your opinion isnt going to affect much.

This has been discussed about a lot in another thread, but I thought it deserved it's own, as it's dividing opinions.

Personally, I don't think Kasper is ready, as he has a few weaknesses. His main problem, imo, is how he deals with crosses. He doesn't command his six yard box, against Millwall I remember they nearly scored because of this, and he's looked suspect on other occasions. Nonetheless, he is a cracking shot-stopper, although his distribution is distinctly average too.

Thoughts?

He is definitely ready. Makes far less errors than De Gea or Al Habsi and makes just as many world class saves. His distribution was a big weakness last season but i've seen improvements this year, clearly working on it. If we got promoted I wouldn't be worried with him in goal.

Guest BlueBrett

I'd say no. The standard of keeping in the Prem the last few years has been incredible. I know there have been a few high profile mistakes but in general I've been very impressed.

Don't think Keller was any better. Put it this way, if we got promoted i wouldn't want us to splash loads of money on a keeper when we have one already who fits very well with the team. I also think Kaspers strengths would be magnified in the Premier league (shot stopping, reflexes and one on ones), while there are going to be less teams hoofing it into the box. I also think his ability versus crosses has improved this year anyway.

Guest BlueBrett
One of the best goalkeepers in the League, course he is ready.

How does being 'one of the best' Championship keepers qualify him as obviously ready for the Prem? Big Wes is easily one of the best defenders at this level but I think most people are agreed he'd struggle to make the step up.

Coming from a fellow goalkeeper. Not a professional, but I play in the Manchester Football League Premier, which is one level off semi pro, so I know what I'm talking about.

Joe Hart can 'look suspect from crosses' from time to time. So can any keeper. A great cross can make any keeper look shit. No keeper will take every cross they face in their career, but it doesn't mean they don't command their box. Kasper commands his box just fine and I've seen him take the ball cleanly in many a pressured situation.

Okay so at times his distribution can be poor in terms of short passing. But that only happens from time to time, and his long range distribution is absolutely unreal. If you want to be a professional keeper you're looking at getting your goal kicks off the floor to past the opposition's side of the centre-circle. Kaspers' kicks go a way past that, usually surfacing nearer the opposition box, which since we've had him has lead to a noteworthy number of goals. So to say his distribution is average is incredibly harsh.

And as you eluded to, his shot stopping is very very good.

What you probably won't notice as a non keeper, is his footwork, agility, and angles are right up there with the very best. Some saves that perhaps look easy will have had to have been world class saves for other keepers like Al-Habsi, who I happen to think is massively overrated for this reason alone. He has to make saves that look incredible so often because his footwork lets him down. The speed at which Kasper closes the angle down is very very impressive too. It's that strength in Casillas' game which has seen him regarded as one of the best in the world for so long.

Not only is he ready for the premiership, but we're lucky to have him. He'd be a good keeper for most Premier League teams.

Archived