Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

Alvaro Quiros has a very very good record in Qatar, he's 100/1 this week. His form is patchy over the past 18 months but horses for courses would suggest he's well overpriced.

Steve Webster is the same price and is fully recovered from his elbow operation last year that was holding him back.

• 2 weeks later...

Can Stephen Gallagher win for a third year on the spin in Dubai this week? A fantastic line up of players for this tournament. Kaymer's capitulation 2 weeks ago will have him determined to put it right and McIlroy who came 2nd and who won this event a few years back will go close.

I like the look of Eddie Pepperell, Robert Karlsson and another young Swede, Kristopher Broburg.

Over on the PGA it's one of the most enjoyable events of the year The Phoenix Open. Tiger makes his return to the game.

Mickleson loves it here and is big at 33/1. I fancy big hitting Tony Finau to go well too.

I think at the Phoenix, if Gary Woodland can get the putter hot, he should have a very good week. Played well in his last outing at the Sony Open on a course that you wouldnt think would play into his hands, but in Phoenix he has moderate rough, lots of room, and attackable par 5's. Listed at 25/1 with Bet365, someone id keep an eye on.

Charles Howell iii is another name id look at. Traditionally starts the season very strongly in the Hawaii and West events, he boasts a tied 6th and a tied 4th there in his last 4 playings of the event, making each of those cuts in the other years. Has made 6 of 7 cuts this year and is due a big week, so 90/1 is appealing.

I like the Tony Finau shout. Since becoming a tour member full time, hes shown hes no one trick pony. The booming power has been backed up with a good touch with the putter and he has made a lot of cuts. Hes due a breakout week and this is definitely the kind of course that would play into his hands. An each way at 125/1 would be a decent bet.

Its great that we have a Leicestershire based golfer on the European Tour. In the past, weve sort of claimed Paul Broadhurst, Robert Rock and the likes as midlanders, but Jason is a genuine home favourite.

Ive seen Jason Palmer's chipping technique from him playing in some moderate stuff in the past, mini tours and such like. Its pretty astounding to think all his shots around the green are played that way, opening and closing the club, varying trajectory, the bounce, release out or hop and stop, baffling in all honesty, but its been born out of some pretty dark days i would imagine. I know the lad on his bag too and i really hope soon they can have a couple of big weeks to keep the card.

It doesnt necessarily take an ultra consitent season, it takes someone who can really cash in on their good weeks to keep the card. Thorbjorn Olesen qualified for the DP World Championship in his rookie season despite missing over half his cuts, because when he was good, he was finishing 2nd in the Italian and French Opens, and other high finishes.

He tees it up this week with Kristoffer Broberg in his group, who you rightly identify as a big talent. Broberg won 4 Challenge Tour events in 2012 to gain promotion to the European Tour, and really announced himself last season with top 3 finishes in the Irish and Scottish Opens.

One more to keep an eye on for me would be Tyrrell Hatton who not so long ago was playing the europro tour, but rose quickly through the ranks of the Challenge Tour and qualified for the DP World Championship in his rookie season having got his full card, enjoying a runner up finish in the Joburg Open, 3rd at the Eropean Masters, 4th at the Scottish and 6th in the DP World. Just made the 2 starts this season having missed the cut in Qatar, but did notch a tied 6th in Abu Dhabi.

I think at the Phoenix, if Gary Woodland can get the putter hot, he should have a very good week. Played well in his last outing at the Sony Open on a course that you wouldnt think would play into his hands, but in Phoenix he has moderate rough, lots of room, and attackable par 5's. Listed at 25/1 with Bet365, someone id keep an eye on.

Charles Howell iii is another name id look at. Traditionally starts the season very strongly in the Hawaii and West events, he boasts a tied 6th and a tied 4th there in his last 4 playings of the event, making each of those cuts in the other years. Has made 6 of 7 cuts this year and is due a big week, so 90/1 is appealing.

I like the Tony Finau shout. Since becoming a tour member full time, hes shown hes no one trick pony. The booming power has been backed up with a good touch with the putter and he has made a lot of cuts. Hes due a breakout week and this is definitely the kind of course that would play into his hands. An each way at 125/1 would be a decent bet.

Its great that we have a Leicestershire based golfer on the European Tour. In the past, weve sort of claimed Paul Broadhurst, Robert Rock and the likes as midlanders, but Jason is a genuine home favourite.

Ive seen Jason Palmer's chipping technique from him playing in some moderate stuff in the past, mini tours and such like. Its pretty astounding to think all his shots around the green are played that way, opening and closing the club, varying trajectory, the bounce, release out or hop and stop, baffling in all honesty, but its been born out of some pretty dark days i would imagine. I know the lad on his bag too and i really hope soon they can have a couple of big weeks to keep the card.

It doesnt necessarily take an ultra consitent season, it takes someone who can really cash in on their good weeks to keep the card. Thorbjorn Olesen qualified for the DP World Championship in his rookie season despite missing over half his cuts, because when he was good, he was finishing 2nd in the Italian and French Opens, and other high finishes.

He tees it up this week with Kristoffer Broberg in his group, who you rightly identify as a big talent. Broberg won 4 Challenge Tour events in 2012 to gain promotion to the European Tour, and really announced himself last season with top 3 finishes in the Irish and Scottish Opens.

One more to keep an eye on for me would be Tyrrell Hatton who not so long ago was playing the europro tour, but rose quickly through the ranks of the Challenge Tour and qualified for the DP World Championship in his rookie season having got his full card, enjoying a runner up finish in the Joburg Open, 3rd at the Eropean Masters, 4th at the Scottish and 6th in the DP World. Just made the 2 starts this season having missed the cut in Qatar, but did notch a tied 6th in Abu Dhabi.

Always good to read your opinion Donut, Hatton is certainly worth keeping an eye on. Another Englishman that throws in big weeks out of nowhere at often huge prices is Matthew Baldwin, he's infuriating to back if you're a punter but he's exactly the type of player who can win you some serious dough if you strike it lucky. I'm sure he's placed a few times when teeing of at over 300/1 for the week.

A poor week for me at the Phoenix sadly. Changeable weather, and a new course design that featured newer green complexes that were firm certainly changed my thinking. I was going to go inplay on Bubba Watson going into the 4th round, but youve got to hand it to Koepka, he can flat out play and it was only a matter of time before he had a PGA tour breakthrough after his win in Turkey last year.

I dont have any bets lined up yet for this week at Torrey Pines, or Malaysia, but i wanted to throw this one out there:

YES, he played horrible in Phoenix. And YES, his short game was the worst ive ever seen from a pro, possibly ever. But Tiger Woods is 50/1 to win at Torrey Pines. I had to led that sink in for a moment. I have never, ever seen Tiger Woods at 50/1 at the beginning of a tournament. And this is Torrey Pines, a course where he has 8 professional victories. Its quite staggering to see.

I may have a speculative each way on this, not expecting anything but i never thought id see the day Tiger would be that price.

Edited by Donut

A poor week for me at the Phoenix sadly. Changeable weather, and a new course design that featured newer green complexes that were firm certainly changed my thinking. I was going to go inplay on Bubba Watson going into the 4th round, but youve got to hand it to Koepka, he can flat out play and it was only a matter of time before he had a PGA tour breakthrough after his win in Turkey last year.

I dont have any bets lined up yet for this week at Torrey Pines, or Malaysia, but i wanted to throw this one out there:

YES, he played horrible in Phoenix. And YES, his short game was the worst ive ever seen from a pro, possibly ever. But Tiger Woods is 50/1 to win at Torrey Pines. I had to led that sink in for a moment. I have never, ever seen Tiger Woods at 50/1 at the beginning of a tournament. And this is Torrey Pines, a course where he has 8 professional victories. Its quite staggering to see.

I may have a speculative each way on this, not expecting anything but i never thought id see the day Tiger would be that price.

He's been as big as 66s at some bookies. I'm sure he won off about 33/1 a couple of years ago which the whole of the golfing world got very wet over, but right now those odds don't appeal to me. His game is in disarray, it's mental as well as physical. His mental strength has always been key for him as he was a warrior. Right now his game is seriously rusty with some flaws that are horrfying to see, his chipping is clearly mental. I have no doubt he'll resolve all of this and go on to win multiple times again but I don't see him suddenly springing a t5 finish, it'll be a bit more gradual. I do like 5/2 that he makes an eagle this week though. He made an incredible one last week and there's 8 very makeable par 5's for him over 2 days were he to still miss the cut.

Tony Finau at 125/1 is lovely, he's very much like Justin Thomas but hasn't had the recent Top 10's so his price is matching accordingly. Thomad finished 10th here last year and that's also why he's only 35/1 this week but Finau whose long game and par 5 performance shows he has what it takes to go well this week is more value for me. I also think Sang-Moon Bae at 110/1 is unbelievable, he knows how to get the job done when he's in the mix and having won twice in as many years I see no reason why he won't continue his rise. He's looking a lot more consistent in recent months and I think the bookies have got it wrong on him this week.

Billy Horschel was 66/1 on Monday but that's soon been cut. He's another top class player wqho seems to know how to win when he's in amongst it, which is a punters dream. He's not quite as solid in recent months as the back end of last year but the fact he's the current Fedex winner and is now getting back in to 2015 season I think he'll be there this week.

Eric Compton has posted 2 top 20's here in the last 2 years and has a recent top 10 to his name. He's ticking along nicely and at 175/1 I think he's another value for money bet. I like to watch him closely in higher class events as it doesn't seem to faze him.

Finally a complete long shot but John Rollins has spent all his career throwing in outrageous performances from absolutely nowhere and if you look at his previous form here it's quite extraordinary for a man of his erraticness. He has something like 3 top 5's here and another 2 top 10's in the last 8 years. He's in horrible form but i've seen him at 300/1 and even higher on betfair win only. He's a very speculative punt for low stakes if anyone wants a nibble. He's gold in the top ten and 20 markets as well, the bookies are mad.

Who could have ever thought as he exited the 18th Green in the 2008 US Open, a 14 time major champion with the strength of mind to win with a busted knee and broken leg, we would be tuning into our TV's like a causal F1 fan waiting for a crash, to watch Tiger Woods in a buggy, leaving the course after 11 choppy holes, a stiff back and some deactivated glutes.

For all the heat that Sean Foley had taken with regards to Tiger's 2014 season, you have to be fair and say that he offered Tiger an economical technique that had a predictable shot pattern and predictable misses. His swing didnt utilise the athleticism it did under Butch that he wants back, but the guy did win 5 times in 2013, and at seriously tough venues like Bay Hill, Sawgrass and Firestone.

What Tiger has gained in speed with Como has been offset by a series of club positions he cant play golf from. Trapped on the inside and stuck, and with 120mph of swingspeed, that ball is going high right block all day.

Tiger, to me, is trying to play the golf of his early 20s, with a body resembling that of a 50 year old. His greatest weapon, the short game from heaven has gone with it. Confused with "release patterns", i doubt a Tiger of 2000 knew what a release pattern was, he saw shots, he felt them, he executed them. His game is devoid of feel.

Its sad to see the first golfing icon of my lifetime struggle so badly. I hope he can turn it around, somehow.

• 1 month later...

Who are your fancies Ric?

I've been heavily stung on him 2 years ago and numerous times before but Dustin Johnson since his return from his drugs ban (alleged) has looked formidable. He's got everything right now that should cope at Augusta but I suspect he'll be less than 16/1 which isn't much value for me, likewise Jordan Spieth. He's in great form and was superb for 63 holes last year but fell away when he looked to be closing in on Bubba. Brandt Snedeker's return to form of late is interesting because although he's got a few weaknesses that'll be exposed he's done quite well in the past and i'd be shocked if he never won a major. He has had a fair few near misses, just like Adam Scott did and you worry if they'll become the serial choker but players with his aggressiveness on the course usually land one eventually. I think he's near 50/1 which is nice.

I always like to look at big long shots because you get some multiple winners on tour being priced up at 300-400/1 like Leishman in 2013 and Jonas Blixt last year. Branden Grace and Padraig Harrington were both 300/1 only a month or two ago but I suspect both will be nearer 100/1 now. I'll be scouring the market though next week when bookies get careless.

You could argue a case for quite a few right now as it's so wide open. Rory must be revved for the possible career slam but his recent performances show a slight chink in his form. I was bullish about Justin Rose but he's not showing much right now so it'll yet again be so near, so far from the Brits. Adam Scott going to a shorter putter would put me off, I think Jason Day will go well again though as per usual here. It does seem to be a horses for courses track because of how difficult it is to master, that's why Freddy Couples is always sniffing about in the top 15-20.

The key stats to look at are obviously driving accuracy/distance with players who can hit a high red to left ball, faders have trouble around Augusta. They need to be shit hot at putting but streaky putters come in to this as once you hole a few it seems you can't miss at Augusta and vice versa when you miss a few. The one stat that I always pay close attention to is par 5 performance, it really is key. That's why Bubba has won twice in 3 years here, because he takes apart the par 5's with ease. If Tiger wasn't all over the place you'd still have him in mind because par 5's were where he pulled away from the field, he'd birdie or better a lot of them.

Jason Day likes the track and has a major in him.

Edit: not a soldier.

My only problem with Day is, he's won only 2 stroke play events on the PGA tour and one of those one handed on a plate to him. I know players win majors who aren't multiple winners but at 14/1 I can't touch him. Shocking odds.

Jason Day likes the track and has a major in him.

Edit: not a soldier.

My only problem with Day is, he's won only 2 stroke play events on the PGA tour and one of those one handed on a plate to him. I know players win majors who aren't multiple winners but at 14/1 I can't touch him. Shocking odds.

On Matt Kuchar for the tournament starting tonight, lost in a play off here last year and 2 previous top 10 finishes here as well, so his consistency should give me a run for my money as he is usually a very steady player who is in and around the top of leaderboards. Had £2.50 e/w @14/1

Haven't checked the odds yet. 14s is pretty shoddy so will give that a swerve myself..

In all fairness though, Jason Day does play Augusta very well.

Ill have a more detailed synopsis of my thoughts ahead of the Masters next week, but needless to say, im excited.

In all fairness though, Jason Day does play Augusta very well.

Ill have a more detailed synopsis of my thoughts ahead of the Masters next week, but needless to say, im excited.

Better than Adam Scott whose won once and come 2nd another time yet is longer odds than Day? Bizarre.