Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ric Flair

Golf

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand how a guy who finished top 5 in all four majors last year can be classed as overrated. Poulter I can see why, he seems to do nothing in regular tour events and turn up at the Ryder Cup, but Rickie no way.

It's all about the " W " though isn't it? Players will always be judged ultimately on what they win. In a sport where you can be classed as one of the best players of your generation and only win 10-20 times in a similar number of years is quite extraordinary but it just shows how unique and difficult the sport is.

Fowler has always had my respect as I love the way he plays golf and he doesn't carry a lot of the irritating personality traits that other American golfers have. That said, I did feel like he wasn't ruthless enough and like a horse he seemed to ease up when he got to the front of the pack and never drove home for victory. Now he's got a big win under his belt I think he should progress and i'd be very surprised if he doesn't win a fair few top drawer tournaments including majors.

I love the tournament at Wentworth it always attracts a quality field, just a shame that odious Patrick Reed had to pull out as it's always good to see some Americans playing in our top events.

I think Matteo Manassero whom has won this before and is slowly regaining some form after a few years of wilderness is a huge price.

It's all about the " W " though isn't it? Players will always be judged ultimately on what they win. In a sport where you can be classed as one of the best players of your generation and only win 10-20 times in a similar number of years is quite extraordinary but it just shows how unique and difficult the sport is.

Fowler has always had my respect as I love the way he plays golf and he doesn't carry a lot of the irritating personality traits that other American golfers have. That said, I did feel like he wasn't ruthless enough and like a horse he seemed to ease up when he got to the front of the pack and never drove home for victory. Now he's got a big win under his belt I think he should progress and i'd be very surprised if he doesn't win a fair few top drawer tournaments including majors.

I love the tournament at Wentworth it always attracts a quality field, just a shame that odious Patrick Reed had to pull out as it's always good to see some Americans playing in our top events.

I think Matteo Manassero whom has won this before and is slowly regaining some form after a few years of wilderness is a huge price.

Yes of course it's all about the W, but I think being branded with the same brush as Poulter is a bit low. Let's face it Poulter is terrific in match play formats yet rarely wins or even these days contends in a stroke play event.

Comparatively Fowler is a lot younger and has had the finishes in majors I mentioned. Generally all of your major champions will contend at least once before winning one. Having contended in all 4 last year he will win one. He must be what 25/26? Poulter must be nearly 40? I just feel that calling him overrated when he's not been out on the tour for years like Ian is a bit harsh and I was glad to see him respond with a win, thoroughly deserved.

Yes of course it's all about the W, but I think being branded with the same brush as Poulter is a bit low. Let's face it Poulter is terrific in match play formats yet rarely wins or even these days contends in a stroke play event.

Comparatively Fowler is a lot younger and has had the finishes in majors I mentioned. Generally all of your major champions will contend at least once before winning one. Having contended in all 4 last year he will win one. He must be what 25/26? Poulter must be nearly 40? I just feel that calling him overrated when he's not been out on the tour for years like Ian is a bit harsh and I was glad to see him respond with a win, thoroughly deserved.

I think it's easy to write off players though as every season you'll get several mediocre players winning tournaments and then you see high class players that don't win and after a few years the critics start to speak out. Look at Jimmy Walker, he was classed as a journeymen, nearly man and then he gets a win under his belt and he's been ruthless in the last 18 months. Golf is a sport that you should never write any professional player off on tour. Hopefully Fowler will kick on now and become a regular winner, I think he's class and great for the future of the sport.

• 3 weeks later...

With the US open starting later this week I'm really not sure who to back at all. Been trying to do some research onto the course but struggled to get find much info other than it will be a tough test so staying straight is crucial. Anyone shed any light into how the course will play?

Thinking of backing any one of

D Johnson

Mickelson

Fowler

Kuchar

Matsuyama

Furyk

Woodland

For once i'm looking forward to a US Open because the course is scaring the life out of most of the field. It looks like a brutal British Open course. There's little to go on previous form because not many players have played it much. It did host the 2010 Amateur which some of the young guns played such as Peter Uihlein (winner) Justin Thomas, Patrick Reed and a few others. There's a lad called Michael Putnam whom this is his home course and has played it a lot, he's got some fairly steady PGA Tour form this year and this tournament has a habit of throwing up big priced places so he's definitely on my radar.

Ryan Moore is a local boy too, not sure how much he knows of the course but he's come in to my consideration in previous British Opens where the style of track seems to suit his game. He's capable of competing in majors and i'll be having a decent e/w bet on Ryan.

I had DJ nailed down for this but his WD last week in the St Judes is a slight concern. If it helps push the price out and he's got no lasting effects of his withdrawal then i'll be all over him.

Brooks Koepka was superb in last years US Open, placing at 200/1 and he's gone from strength to strength since then. He was very good last week but just fell away down the closing stretch. That doesn't concern me going in to this week, I like players knocking on the door but still with a win left in them.

Rickie Fowler will be right in the mix for sure, as will Jordan Spieth and Patrick Reed.

For once i'm looking forward to a US Open because the course is scaring the life out of most of the field. It looks like a brutal British Open course. There's little to go on previous form because not many players have played it much. It did host the 2010 Amateur which some of the young guns played such as Peter Uihlein (winner) Justin Thomas, Patrick Reed and a few others. There's a lad called Michael Putnam whom this is his home course and has played it a lot, he's got some fairly steady PGA Tour form this year and this tournament has a habit of throwing up big priced places so he's definitely on my radar.

Ryan Moore is a local boy too, not sure how much he knows of the course but he's come in to my consideration in previous British Opens where the style of track seems to suit his game. He's capable of competing in majors and i'll be having a decent e/w bet on Ryan.

I had DJ nailed down for this but his WD last week in the St Judes is a slight concern. If it helps push the price out and he's got no lasting effects of his withdrawal then i'll be all over him.

Brooks Koepka was superb in last years US Open, placing at 200/1 and he's gone from strength to strength since then. He was very good last week but just fell away down the closing stretch. That doesn't concern me going in to this week, I like players knocking on the door but still with a win left in them.

Rickie Fowler will be right in the mix for sure, as will Jordan Spieth and Patrick Reed.

Cheers for the info. Might have a couple of quid each way on that Putnam

As Ric mentioned, DJ was one of my picks too but really am concerned after seeing him withdraw last week. Interesting you mention Furyk, a big thing is made of driving distance this week but he is one of the shortest hitters around, yet I'm expecting him to contend. He won at Harbour Town Links recently and has another top 5 finish, he also has a good U.S. and British Open record, well worth a punt at around (40/1) I believe.

If I was to pick one man, I would pick Mickelson, he's been a runner up countless times in the U.S. open and has a terrific Open record winning at Muirfield a few years back. I backed him at 25/1 a week back and he's already into 16's in most places.

There is always a perception in U.S. Open's that driving accuracy is key, when in fact it isn't as important as Driving Distance (a preview on Betfair shows this https://betting.betfair.com/golf/us-open/us-open-betting-trends-form-stats-and-key-quotes-110615-719.html ). Scrambling is another key factor.

I really don't fancy any European bar Justin Rose, I don't think any of them have shown any kind of recent form and at 7/1 forget McIlroy, there's no value.

I fully expect to see an American shootout at the weekend with Mickelson, Spieth and Fowler in contention perhaps with a gate crashing pair of Justin Rose and Hideki Matsuyama. Other Americans worth notable mentions are Koepka and Horschel, but Horschel's temperament worries me on a course where it could get really tricky. He's notorious for getting frustrated with himself. The recent European domination will end at Chambers Bay, unless Justin Rose gets hot with the putter.

Edited by HowardsBulletHeader

As Ric mentioned, DJ was one of my picks too but really am concerned after seeing him withdraw last week. Interesting you mention Furyk, a big thing is made of driving distance this week but he is one of the shortest hitters around, yet I'm expecting him to contend. He won at Harbour Town Links recently and has another top 5 finish, he also has a good U.S. and British Open record, well worth a punt at around (40/1) I believe.

If I was to pick one man, I would pick Mickelson, he's been a runner up countless times in the U.S. open and has a terrific Open record winning at Muirfield a few years back. I backed him at 25/1 a week back and he's already into 16's in most places.

There is always a perception in U.S. Open's that driving accuracy is key, when in fact it isn't as important as Driving Distance (a preview on Betfair shows this https://betting.betfair.com/golf/us-open/us-open-betting-trends-form-stats-and-key-quotes-110615-719.html ). Scrambling is another key factor.

I really don't fancy any European bar Justin Rose, I don't think any of them have shown any kind of recent form and at 7/1 forget McIlroy, there's no value.

I fully expect to see an American shootout at the weekend with Mickelson, Spieth and Fowler in contention perhaps with a gate crashing pair of Justin Rose and Hideki Matsuyama. Other Americans worth notable mentions are Koepka and Horschel, but Horschel's temperament worries me on a course where it could get really tricky. He's notorious for getting frustrated with himself. The recent European domination will end at Chambers Bay, unless Justin Rose gets hot with the putter.

The only thing the Europeans have got going for them is the fact this course is like no other US Open type course bar maybe Pebble Beach. It's very linksy and obviously Europeans have more experience playing such courses, even though Americans are also very handy. Tony Finau at 200/1 coming in on the back of 2 top ten finishes is very tempting. He hits the ball a mile and as you say, forget accuracy it's the distance that matters on this course. The fairways are huge on a lot of holes, but another danger is the greens are very quirky so scrambling and putting is where it'll be won or lost.

I like the fact Patrick Reed has played this course before in the 2010 Amateur and I think if he's going to win a major soon, it'll be the US Open as he's a very good grinder.

My bets are:

Reed 50/1

R Moore 80/1

T Finau 200/1

Bryson Dechambau 600/1

The only thing the Europeans have got going for them is the fact this course is like no other US Open type course bar maybe Pebble Beach. It's very linksy and obviously Europeans have more experience playing such courses, even though Americans are also very handy. Tony Finau at 200/1 coming in on the back of 2 top ten finishes is very tempting. He hits the ball a mile and as you say, forget accuracy it's the distance that matters on this course. The fairways are huge on a lot of holes, but another danger is the greens are very quirky so scrambling and putting is where it'll be won or lost.

I like the fact Patrick Reed has played this course before in the 2010 Amateur and I think if he's going to win a major soon, it'll be the US Open as he's a very good grinder.

My bets are:

Reed 50/1

R Moore 80/1

T Finau 200/1

Bryson Dechambau 600/1

Some of those greens look worse than Hollycroft Park!

A lot of criticism of the course (and in particular the greens) by the players and commentators. Will be so annoyed if DJ wins, after the Masters I penned his name in for this, but his withdrawal last week completely put me off. In terms of betting in the end I have done 7 players in total, mostly small staked E/W.

Spieth 10/1

Mickleson 20/1

Fowler 22/1 (lol)

Matsuyama 35/1

Furyk 40/1

Kuchar 55/1

Grace 125/1

Only Fowler is completely out of the running, with the others lurking around the level par mark with the exception of Kuch. 

Me and the wifey were out for our anniversary dinner and saw some of ghe goof on the tele. My goodness ive never seen such a horrrible course. Its as if the whole course was scorched.

Is it meant to be that way or just having issues?

Not a golf fanatic but love catching a game now and then