Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haydos

Who is it acceptable to lose to?

If it's inevitable that we (or any team) will lose a certain amount of games each season. Then surely it is better to lose those games to lower sides? Despite what that says about the quality of the team etc. If we must lose, I would chose not to lose to rivals for promotion (the so called 6 pointers).

What made this loss even sweeter is the fact that we got away with it. It's another inevitable loss out of the way and no damage was done.

Now lets hope that the team and management use it as a trigger to work even harder to try and stop it happening again any time soon. It's only if it keeps happening over and over that we need to start worrying.

Hadn't thought of it like that, but you're right - it is better to lose to a team down the other end of the table than a promotion rival.

I too hope that this defeat will make the players and NP more determined to succeed. Maybe it blew away any complacency there might have been in the squad after the winning streak.

I think this break from the league could have come at the right time. Hopefully Wood and James will have time to recover before the Charlton match.

Perhaps the OP should clarify which meaning of acceptable they are pointing to.

acceptable adj

1. satisfactory; adequate

2. pleasing; welcome

3. tolerable

It's never the 2nd meaning, it's only the 1st meaning if we are already promoted or if losing to someone means they get Forest/Cov/Derby relegated, and it's the 3rd meaning if it's not happening very often.

Love how we need to delve into the technicalities of the English language to give our answer. lol

I'd imagine the 3rd meaning is the one most applicable to this thread.

Hadn't thought of it like that, but you're right - it is better to lose to a team down the other end of the table than a promotion rival.

I too hope that this defeat will make the players and NP more determined to succeed. Maybe it blew away any complacency there might have been in the squad after the winning streak.

I think this break from the league could have come at the right time. Hopefully Wood and James will have time to recover before the Charlton match.

James has recovered, it's Marshall that's out now

If it's inevitable that we (or any team) will lose a certain amount of games each season. Then surely it is better to lose those games to lower sides? Despite what that says about the quality of the team etc. If we must lose, I would chose not to lose to rivals for promotion (the so called 6 pointers).

What made this loss even sweeter is the fact that we got away with it. It's another inevitable loss out of the way and no damage was done.

Now lets hope that the team and management use it as a trigger to work even harder to try and stop it happening again any time soon. It's only if it keeps happening over and over that we need to start worrying.

Agree with this 100%.

If we had lost away to Dull at the weekend most people would have thought it more acceptable (or maybe likely)as they are up near us, but in fact we wold now be sitting third in the league behind them.

An occasional loss to a lower team will maybe stop the players becoming complacent (I'm sure NP never is) and give them a kick up the backside they sometimes need.

It was a lucky weekend for us as none of the top 6 won. We are going to lose some games (years of following LCFC should tell you this) and usually that means dropping down the table a little. But we're still second and need to concentrate on getting that loss out of our system with a win tonight.

Looking at the stats, Peterborough have only lost two of their last nine games, so even though they are bottom they are on a good run of form, Perhaps that puts it into perspective in a tight division.

in-fact nearly all the bottom clubs are in good form of late.

Love how we need to delve into the technicalities of the English language to give our answer. lol

I'd imagine the 3rd meaning is the one most applicable to this thread.

Thought it needed pointing out there is more than one way the word can be interpreted before we had war in this thread. :D

It's not acceptable to lose to anyone, but there are some defeats you can cope with.

Losing to Peterborough you'd view as very disappointing, should we get through tonight and lose to Wigan I don't think there would be a bad reaction.

Peterborough didn't play like a team bottom of the league, both their goals were class. The lads were clearly trying but we just had a few too many of them having off days. I'm not concerned. The biggest negative for me is that it looks like waggy has lost his confidence again :(

Perhaps the OP should clarify which meaning of acceptable they are pointing to.

acceptable adj

1. satisfactory; adequate

2. pleasing; welcome

3. tolerable

It's never the 2nd meaning, it's only the 1st meaning if we are already promoted or if losing to someone means they get Forest/Cov/Derby relegated, and it's the 3rd meaning if it's not happening very often.

This this and more this lol

See the word acceptable is the key word here. It has to be acceptable to lose to anyone. I'm sure the players and the management team will have accepted the defeat and moved on by now: A key component of any football team if it is to be successful. Had you said "is defeat enjoyable?" then I, like many others, would have given a resounding no! The reason people respond like they do to a loss, especially one against such lowly opposition, is because they do not enjoy losing. Therefore, they need to find a way to blame someone for not having that enjoyment, hence the endless posts of we're rubbish blah blah blah. That's just the way some people seem to want to deal with their team losing a football match. You always have to be prepared for defeat, and I really think a lot of our fans weren't prepared for this on Saturday and so a lot of people reacted in a negative way. Overall, the reactions are understandable but to me some seem very over the top.

Archived